C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I want to install an oil temp guage, where do I install the actual thermometer/sending unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:11 PM
TravMsns
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to install an oil temp guage, where do I install the actual thermometer/sending unit?

I'm thinking of getting an oil temp guage, it appears to have the same sort of thermometer as a water temp guage. However, where do I stick the oil temp thermometer?
Old 03-19-2002, 09:19 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage, where do I install

well i'll tell you where you can stick it.
:lol:
90% put it into the pan.
9% in the block
1% in the valve cover
Old 03-19-2002, 09:31 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp gu/sending unit? (TravMsns)

oil pan
Old 03-19-2002, 09:35 PM
paso
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp gu/sending unit? (redvetracr)

oil pan
If you want accuracy you want to take reading from the pan :)
Old 03-20-2002, 09:52 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage.... (TravMsns)

If this is the unit you are thinking of, the sensor goes where the oil pressure sensor is at the moment (second photo): near the oil filter. The pressure sensor then is re-located where the blind plug is at the back of the block near the distributor. That requires a 90 degree brass elbow; available at hardware stores.

[Modified by paul79, 8:54 AM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 10:32 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage.... (paul79)

Paul79 nailed it. His advice follows the OEM / factory installation of the oil temp. sensor and oil pressure gauge sensor.
Old 03-20-2002, 12:36 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Paul,I'm planning on this upgrade to my '80 also. Could you or John elaborate a little further on an installation procedure? How did you wire it into the gage panel? Are there any adjustments needed to mount the gage? What are the part numbers of the gage and the sending unit needed and any other parts necessary. I would really appreciate it. JIM

[Modified by PROSOUTH, 4:37 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 01:00 PM
ENCHANTMENT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage.... (PROSOUTH)

Jim,

A while ago I bought a used oil temp guage, printed circuit board and sender for my 80. I have not installed it yet, waiting to gut the interior so I can insulate it. I am hoping that once I get the console apart, it will be self- explanitory. One item to note is that if you use a stock oil temp guage, you will need the appropriate printed circuit board.

Good Luck
Old 03-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage.... (PROSOUTH)

Jim,
The gage is a direct replacement for the clock. Mine came from a salvage yard with a partial wiring harness, as seen below. Red is hot/switched, black is ground and green goes to the sensor. GM part number for the sensor is 25036292, again as shown. The gage does not have a number on it but Corvette salvage yards (or GM) need only the description.

Old 03-20-2002, 02:21 PM
PROSOUTH
Drifting

Location: Manchester, Dead Center in the Middle of TN 25 miles to Jack Daniels,10 miles to Geo Dickle, and .8 mile from the Liquor Store at I-24 Exit 114
St. Jude Donor '05

Enchantment, good point but I think I might be able to get around that much expense and just wire it straight in like Paul is apparently going to do. I will look at Knoxville to see what I can find in the way of a gage and sender if I can't get a new GM. The plug is the only thing else I would really like to have, but I'm sure I can get around that obsticle if needed.

I agree that I would like to do it your way,and will if I can find the appropriate parts to do it with, if not.....................my Redneck Engineering Degree will kick in adapt to the situation and conform the installation procedure as necessary. No, I did not say Bubbafy, I said adapt!

Thanks for your help guys, I think I've got a good idea from your explict instructions. Paul thank you and thanks for the pictures. JIM

Old 03-20-2002, 04:10 PM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

the sensor goes where the oil pressure sensor is at the moment (second photo): near the oil filter. The pressure sensor then is re-located where the blind plug is at the back of the block near the distributor. That requires a 90 degree brass elbow
paul79 seems right on here...just wanted to add that you could also use a small nipple :eek: (not that kind) and a tee fitting for the press sender and temp sender if the actual probe on the temp sender is not too long. If its too long i dont see how it could work tho :rolleyes:
Old 03-20-2002, 04:48 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage

I just wired in my oil temp gauge over the weekend. Wired it just the way Paul described using my own wiring harness. The oil port at the oil filter is plugged, so I used a "t" and installed it at the top of the block along with my oil pressure gauge. Not my first choice, but my only choice until I pull the block. Otherwise, very easy to install. One of the vette mail orders is selling oil temp guages for less than $50.00. Can't remember which catalog I was looking at, but its one of the big vendors. You can get the sender new from any a/c delco parts house.

Regards,

Jim
Old 03-20-2002, 06:28 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi
Can't see why measuring oil temp inside the block ?
Measuring the oil pan's oil temp is what is interesting to see if the oil is up to operating temp to start hitting the gas pedal, isn't it ?
Can somebody explain !
Thanks Günther :seeya
Old 03-20-2002, 09:13 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage.... (WESCH)

Gunther,
I guess my immediate reaction from a moderate driver is that I just want to get rid of the pain-in-the-&^% clock. It never has worked, don't need it, don't want to spend money to have it repaired. The oil temp gauge should work in the background just as the oil pressure and volt gages do. Just there to indicate a potential problem. I would say that 99% of the time they are just bezel dressing. I would imagine that for performance enthusiasts the oil temp gage performs a more important function. I do not see oil temp as a measure of when to put the car in gear on a cold day, if that is what you mean??? 5W-30 oil takes care of cold start-up issues....Have I missed the point?
Old 03-20-2002, 09:26 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't remember exactly why, but my local parts guys who also use to own a 75 vette and builds engines suggested that knowing your oil temp will tell you more about your engine than water temp. Now I just need to ask him why once again. But like Paul suggested, its often just to fill the gauge cluster. In my case, the oil temp gauge was already there. So I figure I may as well make it work.

Regards,

Jim

[Modified by Jim73, 8:27 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Default Re: I want to install an oil temp guage...sending unit? (TravMsns)

TravMsns,
You are the original poster. It would be interesting to learn if the various opinions and pieces of info have been relevant to your needs.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:32 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi paul79
No, you got it right.
For normal road driving, the oil temp will never raise above limits, contrary to the water temp, that on big blocks might overheat in slow traffic.
I got my clock working by just lubricating the interior little gears.
Guess, it should work for some years again . :cool:
I'm a bike driver and there it's interesting to know ( if you care for the engine ), when the oil temp is up ( much later as the water temp ) to rev the engine, that's why I mentioned this.
I did have water overheating problems with my 68 big block in slow traffic and for a little time, I thought a oil cooler would help, but would it realy ?
Got writ of the problem by installing a surplus electric fan in front of the radiator with a temp switch in the right hand head.
So, oil cooler is out of the question for right now.
Gunther :seeya

Get notified of new replies

To I want to install an oil temp guage, where do I install the actual thermometer/sending unit?

Quick Reply: I want to install an oil temp guage, where do I install the actual thermometer/sending unit?