C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with '76 distributor wiring

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
V8 Stingray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help with '76 distributor wiring

Guys, I've been cleaning up the wiring in the car and I need some advice with the distributor wiring. I'm waiting for my new colour wiring diagrams from Doc Rebuild - so could really help with a dig out on this.

The car had a Mallory Hi-Fire 6 ignition system in the car before, but its since been removed but the cables are still running down under the carpets inside the cabin as below (they are now capped).

These are the four wires which the loop connector comes from (some cables changed colour due to Bubba's wiring skills! :silly: )

It looks like another block was used in order to connect the ignition system to the HEI distributor. You can see the mess of the cables, its a wonder there wasnt a fire already! Anyway I'm looking to remove this extra wiring/connector and just hook up the stock config - is the plan in the picture right?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:43 PM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

It looks to me that in pic#2 the tach wire is connected to the distributor. In pic #3 you have a wire labled as "the stock ignition wire". Take this wire and plug it into the distributor where it's labled "Batt". That should put this mess back into the stock configuration.
Hpoe this helps
Old 06-12-2010, 04:26 AM
V8 Stingray
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks dude - that's what I thought..... but when I go to start the car now, the start kicks in, and the car fires somewhat but it dies and wont stay running... like as if I have a wrong connection.

There is fuel getting to the carb, so wondering is it the three wires that come from the bottom of the distributor to the terminal block behind the NEG and BAT connectors.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 AM
OMF
Melting Slicks

Received 343 Likes on 250 Posts

The wires that come out of the distributor casting come from the ignition module, and plug in behind the tach/ power wires. Disconnect the power wire and check to see if you have 12v on that ignition wire with the ignition key on but car not running.
Is that a stock ignition with just an accel cap on it?
Has this setup worked previously for you?

Get notified of new replies

To Help with '76 distributor wiring

Quick Reply: Help with '76 distributor wiring