C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel Exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 09:20 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stainless Steel Exhaust...

I'm looking for information from anyone out there who has, had, or knows someone who has a stainless steel exhaust system on their Vette?

I'm wondering if it's worth the extra $$s. The Vette is never driven in the rain or the winter, but I'm the type of guy who likes to do it right the first time. I've heard of stainless steel exhausts becoming discolored and that they have no major advantages. I've been itching to get a Flowmaster system because the car is just too quiet stock.

Anyone out there have any opinions one way or the other? Any related comments would be greatly appreciated. (I just love this forum!!)

:seeya
Old 03-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Noel Carboni
Pro

Default Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust... (Leos 81)

I dunno about the '81, but as far as I know the '82 came with stainless.

Unfortunately, I pulled that off a long time ago and went true dual. Every set of pipes I've had custom made since then has rusted or was simply put together so badly that it started leaking at the seams/welds.

My next system will be made from mandrel bent stainless tubing, expanded and slip-fit, then welded. I don't think Flowmasters come in stainless, so I suppose I'll go with aluminized.

Go for the stainless. You'll hate rusty pipes every time you or someone else looks under your car.

-Noel
Old 03-20-2002, 11:11 PM
jerryp58
Melting Slicks

There have been some posts here in the past about SS.

Besides the higher price, the only negative I'm sure of is heat (they run hotter than regular steel). They may be noisy expansion & contraction wise also, but I'm not sure about that one.

Maybe you should look at titanium like the newer Corvettes. I haven't heard anything, good or bad, about titanium systems though.

I don't do a lot of short runs in my car. I have a 15 mile one-way commute to work. I guess I've been pretty lucky with my exhausts (ordinary steel). After 6 years, I had some rust showing on the mufflers. I wouldn't even have replaced my exhaust if the rear Y-pipe didn't get destroyed by a metal gas line cap left in the road. The system that's been on there for a year looks great.

Good Luck. Post your thoughts on SS if you get it.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:16 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 276 Likes on 162 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I have had Allen's stainless pipes on my '68, '74 & '75 Corvettes since 1990. I love the stuff!!! Yes, it does get that "tarnished brown" color to it, but it's not rust or rust pits. Also, every time I've needed to get the exhaust system apart for a repair or one reason or another-it comes apart great!!! Will not "carbon fuse" together like steelpipes do. Also recently put an Allen's stainless rear "Y" on my '80. Another great fit and another exhaust piece I'll never have to buy again. :yesnod:

[Modified by Paul Borowski, 9:17 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 10:29 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 300 series 3 inch stainless exhaust. It does discolor slightly but I polish it a few times a year with emery paper. I pay $3.00 per foot for stainless and have it mandral bent.

This is years old
Old 03-21-2002, 10:54 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust... (norvalwilhelm)

I've fitted 2 1/2" stainless duals from Mid America to my '81. One of my better decisions in life :D Stainless does go a yellow/brown colour when it gets hot, but who cares? It's 1000 times better than rust! The system also comes apart easily & I don't need to repair/replace sections b4 fitting it back on.
As an example, my Dad fitted a stainless system to his Saab in 1979. It's now my Mums daily driver & still has the same exhaust system in place, with no leaks! My daily driver had a full aluminised exhaust system fitted 2 years ago. Over this winter one pipe rotted through, got replaced & another pipe then did exactly the same thing. That was replaced. Last week another piece of pipe has a had a hole appear - which just leaves the muffler left to fall apart (I don't need this - I'm trying to get my Vette ready for summer!).
If you're gonna keep the car then fit stainless - or be prepared for constant fixes in the future. Even if you don't drive it in the rain, it will still rot from the inside.
The stainless system on the Vette doesn't make any pings, pops or creaks as it's cooling down. Don't know about when it's warming up - I wouldn't hear it above the noise coming out the back :lol:
:cheers:
Old 03-21-2002, 12:51 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My exhaust is SS. No problems with it in six years. Just one tip: SS clamps are very brittle. I have snapped off a couple. I use steel clamps painted with heat paint.

In the same vein, I pulled a Bubba job when the system went on. I do not like the look of pipes at all from exterior views. Except for the chrome exhaust tips at the back. So I painted the system components with flat black heat paint before they were installed. The pipes and mufflers blend in with the black frame and the spare tire bucket (also black). The paint has generally held well except for the front Y-pipe where strangely it has turned grey-white. But that component is not visible from the exterior. I say Bubba but quite frankly I am very happy with the outcome.

[Modified by paul79, 12:57 PM 3/21/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust... (UKPaul)

I wouldn't do it any way but stainless, as long as I had a choice. My '81 still has the original exhaust on it, which is GM stainless (don't know if it's 409, 304, or some other mix of alloy), and it's in perfect shape rust-wise. I've never had any trouble getting pieces of it apart. For the small extra cost over aluminized, I can't imagine going any other way.

I've heard all the critics talk about increased rates of expansion/contraction, more rapid loosening of fasteners, more snap-crackle-pop noise on heating up and cooling down, etc., but I've never seen or heard any of that. Mine's tight and it stays tight, and there's no noise that shouldn't be there.
:seeya
Old 03-21-2002, 01:33 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust... (Gator81)

Thanks a ton!!! Like I said, I love this forum. Excellent feedback!! It seems to me that everyone thinks that SS is the way to go. I plan to keep my Vette for a long time considering it's low mileage and great condition, so I'm sold. SS it is. I will post my thoughts after I've had the system on for a while. I'm sure I'll have nothing but good things to report.

Please, keep the feedback coming if anyone else has any thoughts and thanks again!
Old 03-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Crazyhorse
Safety Car

You might want to consider aluminized pipes also.

I put them on about 5 years ago and they still look great.

Oh yea, same thing with the muffs.

[Modified by Crazyhorse, 12:40 PM 3/21/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 01:55 PM
81VETTOM
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: Stainless Steel Exhaust... (Crazyhorse)

I don't know what's on my 81 but there isn't a lot or any rust except for the clamps, and 1 muffler was replaced before I got it, original one seems to be ok. I don't know what it is, so when I change it guess i'll work on it then. :smash:
Old 03-21-2002, 01:59 PM
One GM A Tech
Pro

have to atest to the eas at which the ss comes apart when workin on them. GM has been using the ss for years now. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Steel Exhaust...

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Exhaust...