C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With First Vette Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 11:44 PM
AngNDave21
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With First Vette Purchase

I'm looking to buy my first Corvette. I know I like the C3's and especially the Stingrays. What problems do I need to look for when buying? Are there any years or options I need to stay away from? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:47 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (AngNDave21)

always check the frame behind the rear wheels before it starts to turn upwards for rust....
Old 03-21-2002, 01:25 AM
keytech
Racer

Rule 1: Don't buy the first one you see
Rule 2: Don't catch "Vette Fever" and press yourself with that "gotta have one now" syndrome.
Rule 3: Don't buy the first one you see

Contact the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society - NCRS.org) and get a Judging manual for your year. Noooo- before everyone jumps on me, we're not talking about the guy having to only consider a Top Flight car. You don't want to get ripped off with a pieced together wreck that "looks" like advertised. The NCRS manuals will give a raft of info about your desired year. You may want to go to a few NCRS meets and talk with the members. Everyone is more than helpful and may even come out and look a prospect over for you (any-excuse-to-look-at-a-Vette Syndrome). At the least you get a ton of information in a very short and inexpensive time. Best to go to the folks that are totally over-the-top nuts about detail to find out what is what and you can work your level of desire and budget from the top down. Knowledge is power - or in this case YOUR money and YOUR ride!

[Modified by keytech, 11:27 PM 3/20/2002]

[Modified by keytech, 11:28 PM 3/20/2002]
Old 03-21-2002, 02:11 AM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

How much are you looking to spend, how much work are youi going to do on the car yourself, what options are you looking for?

Tom
Old 03-21-2002, 04:18 AM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

go to http://www.corvettefaq.com/misc.asp and click on the 3 sections titled "Mechanic Inspection before buying C3"

That will give you a great Idea of what to look for!

Happy Hunting!
:cheers:
Old 03-21-2002, 08:00 AM
AngNDave21
8th Gear

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (Tom McCabe)

I'm looking to spend around 10-13K if i can find the right car for that anyway. I was an aircraft mechanic before becoming a police officer so I could probably do a lot to most of the work on it. And as for options...has to be a t-top, have air, and probably auto for the wifee and maybe a little weekend racing. Other than that...just a cool looking daily driver.
Old 03-21-2002, 08:06 AM
73Ken73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find out what the emissions laws are in your area. Try to get a Vette which is exempt from emissions, it will be much easier to mod the engine for power.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Milest
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (73Ken73)

For what your looking to spend, I would shop for a later C3. You should be able to find one in better condition than an earlier steel bumper (68-73) car. Steel bumper cars are pricy.

I have a copy of a book that my be helpful that I will send you if you want. E-mail me your address and I will send it to you. I live in Clear Lake and also know a shop that could check a car out for you in the Houston area. I highly recommend having it checked out by a mechanic, preferbly one who knows corvettes. There are alot of "interesting" people selling cars out there.

My e-mail is darkandstormy@usa.com

Miles

Old 03-21-2002, 11:07 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (keytech)

Rule 1: Don't buy the first one you see
Rule 2: Don't catch "Vette Fever" and press yourself with that "gotta have one now" syndrome.
Rule 3: Don't buy the first one you see
Rule 4: Dont buy the first one you see.
Rule 5: THERE IS NO RULE 5
Rule 6: Dont buy the first one you see.
:crazy:

In all seriousness, there are only a few problems areas in the C3 - they tend to revolve around braking issues, corrosion of the frame (specifically just in front of the rear tires where the frames leaps up over the suspension) and occationally corrosion of the "birdcage" which is the metal framework around the cabin - especially up front in the areas that surround the windshield.

Look for play in the rear bearings. jack the car up until one of the rear tires is just off the ground. Grab the tire at 12 and 6 oclock and try to rock the tire. there should be no appriciable (sp?) movement.

The engine fortunatly is a typical GM passenger car motor that with few exceptions is little different than that which appeared in Impalas and the like.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:36 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (fauxrs)

I always say this, but try to locate a forum member in your area to go on a few vette visits with you. The can point out what is expensive to fix and what is just a couple of dollars to repair. Interiors are not cheap, paint is not cheap, and rear suspensions are not cheap. Easy fix-its are front suspensions, some engine work, and brakes. Do not waste your time with the needs to be restored, unless you have a ton of cash. Ask anyone on the board. A restoration can cost as much as a beach house in Galveston.

Oh yea, Don't buy the first one you see. NO bidding wars, No Barns, No my husband died and the vette was left in the garage for ten years.
Good luck
Old 03-21-2002, 02:38 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (Budman78)

I agree with an earlier post you are probably looking for a latter C-3 in that price range with thoose options, go to a local car show and look at some of the cars to get a feel for the way they are supposed to look ask the owner some questions, most of us love to talk about cars, he might even know of a good car for sale, also as stated earlier have someone with you when yo go look at a car that knows them.

Tom
Old 03-21-2002, 04:39 PM
Touringpro
Racer

I'm looking to spend around 10-13K if i can find the right car for that anyway. I was an aircraft mechanic before becoming a police officer so I could probably do a lot to most of the work on it. And as for options...has to be a t-top, have air, and probably auto for the wifee and maybe a little weekend racing. Other than that...just a cool looking daily driver.

I think one of the later years cars will fit nicely into your price range. I picked up my '81, optioned pretty much like what you're looking for, a couple months ago for $10,500.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:18 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In many cases, you're going to find non-working AC. Be prepared to spend around $1000 to fix it. Also, the later C3s ('77 and up) have better AC than the older ones.

I had one seller tell me, "It just needs some freon." :bs Yeah, right...

Also, be sure you have money in your budget for those "gotcha" fixes that can often occur during the first year of ownership. Often, Vettes that are being sold have been sitting in a garage for a while. This leads to leaky calipers, gaskets, seals, etc. -- overall, it's no big deal if you're handy with a wrench.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:23 PM
keytech
Racer

Default Re: Help With First Vette Purchase (page62)

"This leads to leaky calipers, gaskets, seals, etc. -- overall, it's no big deal if you're handy with a wrench.
"

Boy there's a good point. You get that thing home and the calipers start leaking might as well plan on replacing all of them and that is definitely one that sneaks up on you.

Get notified of new replies

To Help With First Vette Purchase

Quick Reply: Help With First Vette Purchase