C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header Install Tips??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 11:56 AM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Install Tips??

I am going to be installing my headers this weekend and wondering if there are any tips to safely remove my Ram Horn Manifolds...heat? penetrating oil? And any tricks for the instal of the new headers? Tricks with the gaskets? I am using th new Remflex Gaskets. I have header bolts, should I use lock washers? Torque specs?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

First you should have already been soaking the bolts with PB Blaster or the like. I'd soak every one real good every day for a week ahead of time. I've removed and installed my headers and it wasn't that hard. I have a 79 (small block of course) 4 spd. I had to remove the starter and on the driver's side, the clutch Z bar and one spark plug if I remember right. Both sides went in from underneath.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's really nothing to it.. unbolt your exhaust then unbolt the ram horns. It probably wouldn't hurt to hit it with some penetrating oil the night before. When installing the headers , I put anti-seize on the bolts, put the 2 outer most bolt in first, slide the gasket in, snug those 2 bolts, put the rest of the bolts in, then tighten all of the bolts.

Header bolts are usually included with the headers.. if they come with washers use them. if not, then leave them out. Some bolts are designed not to be used with washers.

Torque spec I believe is 20 ft-lb.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Soak the old rams horn bolts in penetrating oil. The new headers go in from the bottom. I have an '80 and after I jack the passenger side up a bit there is one angle that usually takes me a few minutes to find where the headers will fit in without taking the starter off.

If it's your first time and can't find this angle, where the header is almost vertical, then take the starter out. Remember to just get the two end end header bolts threaded a few threads then put the starter in, this way you will have more room as you can swing the header out an inch or two.

Also remember these headers ain't gonna hookup to you existing exhaust. If you know how to weld it's non issue but if not you might have to fab up a piece of flex pipe to get it to the muffler shop, some have done it with open headers and knowing how on the ball the RCMP are out there and exactly where you live you could probably do that no problems. If you work for the RCMP I was only kidding
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Hahahahaha, nope I am no RCMP !
I forgot to mention I have a garage with a Pit !!! (it's my Father inlaws) I have the reducers which I hope to be able to make a coupler to fit the existing pipes. Changing out the mufflers to Magnaflows. keeping the piping since it is only a year or two old
Old 07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
SPD151
Heel & Toe

Default Problem I ran into

I installed the Hooker Super Comps on my 75 and ended up having an issue with the rag joint on the steering hitting the headers. This was really the only thing I ran into however.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Chances of getting a torque wrench on most of those bolts is slim to none,jsut try to be as consistent as possible...You will be re-tightening them a few times after the first few heating cycles,a good trick is to sacrifice one of your shorter 7/16 wrenches by grinding the metal on the closed end thinner so it will clear the tighter tube/bolt areas.As MH noted,put the two end bolts in loosely,most gaskets are notched so that those two bolts will hold it in place as you try to get the rest of the bolts in.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

I hope you have a lift.
Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
VancouverMark
Advanced

Default Lift

Originally Posted by toddalin
I hope you have a lift.
Even better, I have a full length pit! With lights and power!
Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used Stage 8 locking bolts on my small block, with headers, for about 7 years on the 350 and about 4 years on the 383.

Never had a bolt loosen up or an exhaust gasket blow.

I use FelPro gaskets.

Get notified of new replies

To Header Install Tips??

Quick Reply: Header Install Tips??