C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake job and rear checkup questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2002, 11:25 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default brake job and rear checkup questions

I'm getting ready to do my first ever brake pad replacement on the "nothing fancy"'77. Do I need the plastic pieces, I've seen in the catalogs, to hold the pistons in the calipers? Anything I'll know after I've done the job that I don't know now? Tricks, tips, anything to make it as smooth as possible?

Also, while I've got the back wheels off what should I check with the rear end? I've got a whine when running at highway speed - when I let off of the gas it stops - back when I give it gas. There is also a clunk when the hard shifting auto tranny drops into second - I figure worn bushings. I'm going to be putting it in a shop and having it checked out and rebuilt soon - but want to check it out while I'm doing the brakes.

thanks in advance
Ronnie
Old 03-22-2002, 11:55 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: brake job and rear checkup questions (rrent)

Brakes are fun :D . The tool is sopmewhat helpful but I recall someone here mentioning a homespun version.

Other cheap fixes include:

1. adjust emergency brake if it needs it while you have the wheels off.
2. check calipers for leaks- look at pistons.
3. change brake fluid by bleeding (this is fun- may want to put on speed bleeders while you are at it - best $15 I have spent.
4. if you are going to bleed the brakes anyway (see #4), might as well change the flex lines in the rear if they haven't been changed in a while.
5. clunk is probably the cushion on the nose of the diff. not hard to change (lesss than $20).

Quick Reply: brake job and rear checkup questions