C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (19)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 03:20 AM
Roger76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (19)

I thought that this post deserved its own thread. It's a 19 y/o guy who has posted his first post as a reply to another thread on the forum. It should remind us older guys of ourselves. Let's give him a warm welcome. Good to see an up n' comer.

Here's what he said about himself:

<--QUOTE>
Well, silly me, I haven't introduced myself. I'm a new member here, my name is Jerry. I'm 19, and I bought my first Vette a few months ago. I've never restored a car before, so it's coming slowly, but I'm learning. It's a 79' L48, with T-tops, silver, with red interior. It has some body damage, cracks in the back and one in the driver door. My dad and I have it fiberglassed, now it's just a matter of grinding and sanding. I've been sanding the rest of the car, which includes about 3 layers of paint; apparently it was never stripped right. After the body, I'll get to work on the interior. It needs seat covers, carpet, door panels, and maybe a plastic molding here and there.

I rebuilt the front calipers, new brakes and rotors, and a new power steering control valve, and some new fuel lines. Although it runs strong, I decided I'm going to rebuild the engine (that will also be my first), and might as well do some performance stuff. Here's where I need the help. I don't know how much money I want (or have) to put into it, but I figure I'll do something with the heads, cam, maybe the intake, the carb, and I'll get headers. I'm just confused as to what specifics, because I know everything you do effects the next. I've heard a lot about Vortec heads, so maybe I'll look into that. Any pointers/tips you guys could give me would really be appreciated!

Anyway, I'm glad I found this place. It seems to be the biggest, most intelligent, interesting story filled forum there is online. See ya later!

Jerry
Old 03-23-2002, 04:49 AM
Zack Wenning
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (Roger76)

Hello, it's nice to see some more people my age on this forum(I'm also 19).
It sure sounds like you've already got your feet wet in the hobby. The forum offers a wealth of knowledge and at times it can be pretty entertaining as well.
As far as modding your engine goes, I would suggest you look into the packages offered by Edelbrock(RPM Package) and Holley(Systemax). I do not have first hand expeience with either one, but ive heard pretty good things about them on the forum. Since they are packages I think you could save $ over buying the componets separately and they should work well together. If I had to do it all over again I think I would have went with a package instead of trying to match up everything myself. Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide. Enjoy the forum! :seeya
Old 03-23-2002, 06:58 AM
Scott78
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (Zack Wenning)

Welcome, this is the place to ask those questions. It looks like you've gotten into the spirit of fixing your vette already :yesnod:
Scott
Old 03-24-2002, 01:24 AM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (Roger76)

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys! I can already tell I'm going to get a lot out of this forum, and hopefully be able to put stuff in, too!

Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (19)

Quick Reply: Say Hi to the new kid on the block: Jerry (19)