C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 02:41 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?

I'm going out probably all three days this weekend. I have friends who are going to run in the Autocross. I think I am going to run mine too. I've done a lot of racing but never an autocross, so this will be something new for me.

I will still be running my 255/60/15 Indy 500 tires. My suspension is the stock Gymkhana from 1980. It is still very tight. I did put new poly on the front sway bar and I have Bilstein Sport shocks. I guess I did put in new ball joints in the front and new U joints in the half shafts, so it's not all 30 years old. I'll pump the tires up harder to tighten it up. I've been playing around with it and it does handle a lot better with the tires up around 38 pounds.

Any other advice?

I don't expect to be fast, just have some fun. If I'm real slow compared to some of the other cars I'll just smoke the tires and slide around. At least I'll get to play without getting a ticket.

Maybe next year I will do the suspension. I've had the parts for awhile, just no time to do it.

I have one friend who is going to run a land yacht, a Buick Roadmaster, the last of the huge real wheel drive cars. My boss is letting his 18 year old son run his Audi R8, the kid can really drive. I think there should be a little difference in the time on those two cars.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:52 AM
73BLWN
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to bring my car, see about doing the dyno challenge, park and hang all day Saturday. Happy wife happy life issues might not allow me to attend. I have friday off, so I may drive down and walk through at the very least.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:28 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

I'm lucky. My wife likes going to the car shows with me.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:12 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We'll be there, Part of Friday, Sat and Sunday.
We being me and the car ;-)

So you can see my crappy paint job in person!
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 PM
mvette76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'll be there with the my vette and old mans vette and a few more hot rods. dont worry my paint sucks to!!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

We will probably be there most of the 3 days. Our car club usually takes up the grass median on Randall Ave between Underwood and Cooper streets near the Progress building with the huge windmill blade standing on end. If the layout is like recent years, the Dynomax dyno is right on the corner.

Stop by and ask anyone near the Chevy tent where Dave is. If I'm not there, tell them I said you could have a beer and have them call me.

I'd like to meet you and see your car.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 73BLWN
I was going to bring my car, see about doing the dyno challenge, park and hang all day Saturday. Happy wife happy life issues might not allow me to attend. I have friday off, so I may drive down and walk through at the very least.
I see you live in Lino Lakes. I live in Columbus on Kettle River Blvd off Lake Drive. We're practically neighbors. I hope to see you Friday. Stop buy.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:40 AM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hoping to go. Only free day is Sunday. Just got back from camping today at Gooseberry and found my alternator acting up and my wife is now working on Sunday afternoon & eve!!!

So I'm hoping to pull a rabbit out of the hat and be there on Sunday, with the Vette.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:03 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

My friend and coworker with the Roadmaster is saving me a place in towards the center of the grounds in a parking lot. I will get the cross streets from him and post. It will be fun to meet some fellow forum members.

As far as seeing my car, it's not much to look at with 30 year old worn out paint, but it runs good and is fun. Just look for a dark metallic green 80 Vette that looks all stock.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:17 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
I see you live in Lino Lakes. I live in Columbus on Kettle River Blvd off Lake Drive. We're practically neighbors. I hope to see you Friday. Stop buy.
I use to live even closer to you. I lived off of Potomac, and 172nd avenue years back. I'll look you up at the show. Most likely I'll be there on Friday if my wife and I head to the cabin this weekend. If we don't go to the cabin, I'll probably buy a pass, and bring the Vette down on Saturday. I'm still up in the air about whether or not to bring the vette. Unfortunately, a friend cancelled on me. We planned on parking his jeep, and my vette together and hanging out on Saturday. He'd haul the lawn chairs, and coolers. It was a good plan.

Last edited by 73BLWN; 07-15-2010 at 08:10 AM. Reason: County Road 23 to Potomac
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

OK, I found out the streets that surround the parking lot I will be in.

Cooper on the east, Underwood on the west, Wright on the North and Dan Patch on the South.

Here is a link to the fairgrounds map.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_i...here/maps.html

I hope to see and meet a few of you.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:48 PM
73BLWN
Racer

Thanks V2racing. I printed out the map, and printed where you and MN80Vette can be located. I'll do my best to attend and look you two up.

427V8, MNBrent, mvette76 it would be great to meet all of you as well.

I'm starting to think I better just commit and show up.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:56 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing

Cooper on the east, Underwood on the west, Wright on the North and Dan Patch on the South.

Here is a link to the fairgrounds map.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_i...here/maps.html

I hope to see and meet a few of you.
I can't make it this year. It's a pride thing. I couldn't sleep at night if a Miata got a faster time. Also my boss called me back to work after 2.5 weeks of freedom. I just get back from the Grand Canyon and he talks to me about the new terms. RU going to Bonneville this year? Please keep me informed when you are coming here

Last edited by gkull; 07-14-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Myself and two other members of our southern California car club will be there helping out Jeff Smith (car craft tech editor).

I'm hoping very much to meet a few forum members and see a few member cars.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:44 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
I can't make it this year. It's a pride thing. I couldn't sleep at night if a Miata got a faster time. Also my boss called me back to work after 2.5 weeks of freedom. I just get back from the Grand Canyon and he talks to me about the new terms. RU going to Bonneville this year? Please keep me informed when you are coming here
I'm glad you got called back to work.

We're not going to Bonneville this year. Too much to do to the streamliner and the major sponsorship we were courting didn't step up.

I don't care what beats me at the autocross. I had too many years of serious racing where I went only to win and set records. Having fun again will be nice.

Last edited by v2racing; 07-14-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

If you go to my profile and then to my Facebook page you will see what I look like. It will be easier to spot me then.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

V2
I usually park in the shade, that parking lot is like a desert, only worse one is the Midway
I doubt he will need to save a space.

But I'll put on some sunblock, a hat, and load up the camel with water and come visit!

73BLWN
Yep you have to now, tell the wife that you have no choice.

MN80Vette
I'm in Mounds view, by the Mermaid on hwy 10

Get notified of new replies

To Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?

Old 07-14-2010, 08:58 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 427V8
V2
I usually park in the shade, that parking lot is like a desert, only worse one is the Midway
I doubt he will need to save a space.

But I'll put on some sunblock, a hat, and load up the camel with water and come visit!

73BLWN
Yep you have to now, tell the wife that you have no choice.

MN80Vette
I'm in Mounds view, by the Mermaid on hwy 10
I usually try for a shady spot too, but my buddy wanted me to hang out with him and some of his friends that will be there and they like that lot for some reason. Last year at back to the fifties I visited him there for a while and just about had heat stroke. I think there are some trees at one end of it if I can get over there.

Last edited by v2racing; 07-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

I usually try for a shady spot too, but my buddy wanted me to hang out with him and some of his friends that will be there and they like that lot for some reason. Last year at back to the fifties I visited him there for a while and just about had heat stroke. I think there are some trees at one end of it if I can get over there.
Our car club grabs the same area each year because it is shady and some of the gear heads have very little kids. We are usually in line to get in about 5:00 AM. I'll see if I can save a place or two in the shade, but we can't save them very long according to CC "rules". Let me know what day and time you expect to be there if you're interested in a place in the shade. I've got the only Corvette in the club, so you'll know which car is mine: '80 Code 28 Dark Blue Metallic with Oyster interior.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:20 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Our car club grabs the same area each year because it is shady and some of the gear heads have very little kids. We are usually in line to get in about 5:00 AM. I'll see if I can save a place or two in the shade, but we can't save them very long according to CC "rules". Let me know what day and time you expect to be there if you're interested in a place in the shade. I've got the only Corvette in the club, so you'll know which car is mine: '80 Code 28 Dark Blue Metallic with Oyster interior.
Thanks! I appreciate that. The only problem is my daughter is going to follow me out Friday morning, and I have a feeling I am going to have a hard time getting her up early enough in the morning. She is going to bring her Audi S4 and run it in the autocross. She has never done it before either, but I think she'll have a lot of fun. She'll probably beat me around the course with that thing, which she will love and rub in. She thought it was really fast until I got the Vette running and gave her a ride. She says it makes her S4 feel like a grannies car.

Anyway, that makes 2 cars we need spaces for and I don't know what time we will get there.

I may take you up on the spot Saturday morning. It will be just the wife and I then, I think.??? My wife will be with Friday too. She may not like the desert, like I said, we usually look for shade.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I have seen your car there before. Beautiful car! I love the color and the molded in bumpers. Maybe I'll get to mine someday.

Quick Reply: Who's going to the Car Craft Summernationals in St Paul?