C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tube Frame Chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Tube Frame Chassis?

Does anyone know much about www.ruthcorvette.com ?
They have a tube frame chassis that uses C4/C5 components and a C3 body is supposed to fit.
Pourning time and money into my stk 74 seems like a waste if I can have better for a "Reasonable" increase in costs.
Any comments from the Vets? I'm sure there are lots of hidden costs and the total could be way too much $ for me.
The idea of being able to upgrade many of the C3 faults and shortcomings is very tempting! TIA

R
Old 07-25-2010, 02:34 PM
MrForce
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

These are the guys that are probably the best known http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
Old 07-27-2010, 01:29 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Default Rolling Chassis

13K for the rolling chassis does not sound that bad. Can anyone comment on how much we spend trying to make our C3 handle like a C4? How much would a complete updated suspension and brakes cost? Don't forget all the extras that we would add trying to keep up w/C5! LOL
I'm guessing that there are several forum members that have 13K in mods, but won't admit it.
Rather than an endless series of upgrades none of which will get me to C4 land, why not start w/better foundation?
I really want to make some improvements, but this looks like a better
Mousetrap.
What am I missing? TIA

R
Old 07-27-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
13K for the rolling chassis does not sound that bad. Can anyone comment on how much we spend trying to make our C3 handle like a C4? How much would a complete updated suspension and brakes cost? Don't forget all the extras that we would add trying to keep up w/C5! LOL
I'm guessing that there are several forum members that have 13K in mods, but won't admit it.
Rather than an endless series of upgrades none of which will get me to C4 land, why not start w/better foundation?
I really want to make some improvements, but this looks like a better
Mousetrap.
What am I missing? TIA

R
Thirteen K ain't cheap, but all you have to do is engineer one of these upgrades yourself and you'll appreciate the effort that went into making these things for commercial sales. I did my own because I enjoy doing my own design and fabricating. But, doing it in your garage takes time. It's a lot quicker to hand over your credit card number, and spend the extra time driving your car.
You'll love the way the car handles with a newer suspension under it. I regret all the time and money I flushed away bandaiding the stock suspension all those years.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:40 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

If Your going to spend that much for handling, why not buy a C5 and have the best of both worlds a C3 and C5? Just My thoughts.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:38 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.

Originally Posted by Timsride
If Your going to spend that much for handling, why not buy a C5 and have the best of both worlds a C3 and C5? Just My thoughts.
It doesn't solve the problem of having a C3 with crappy handling.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Default Too Much for Me!

I found my fabrication limits back in the day when I raced MX. If it can't be done w/drill and file, it is too much for me.
If I go the rolling chassis route, changing over the parts to be reused will be enough for my abilities! LOL
Having been a forum member for a while, I have read the horror stories of "While I'm in There" and "I found some other Problems".
I was going to invest in some upgrades, but now I'm giving it some more thought?

R
Old 07-27-2010, 04:56 PM
STODD
Advanced

Maybe I'm crazy, but last time I looked you can buy a drivable c-4 under 13K, why not buy one and convert? I am guessing a bunch of chassis mods to bolt on a c-3 body? Bunch of left over parts to sell though. Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:06 PM
MrForce
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Originally Posted by 69427
Thirteen K ain't cheap, but all you have to do is engineer one of these upgrades yourself and you'll appreciate the effort that went into making these things for commercial sales. I did my own because I enjoy doing my own design and fabricating. But, doing it in your garage takes time. It's a lot quicker to hand over your credit card number, and spend the extra time driving your car.
You'll love the way the car handles with a newer suspension under it. I regret all the time and money I flushed away bandaiding the stock suspension all those years.
69427 - Is there a thread on your C4 conversion?
Old 07-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by MrForce
69427 - Is there a thread on your C4 conversion?
Yeah, there's a couple threads somewhere in C3 Tech. There didn't seem to be much interest in this topic, so I didn't bother posting a lot of pictures.
I'm happy to answer any questions I can, though.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:20 AM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MrForce
These are the guys that are probably the best known http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
I do not have their frame but they have done a bunch of work for me. The shop is great and Mike (the owner) is an engineering genius and all around nice guy.

Tell him Frank sent you,
Old 07-28-2010, 02:06 AM
Nealjr
Advanced

Spoke to Mike today on the phone. He was very courteous and emailed me some good info. Tempted to call him back and pick his brain some more. Definitely going with a frame from them. Too many forum members with good results to ignore. I want a foundation I can be confident in and this seems like the best route.

Get notified of new replies

To Tube Frame Chassis?

Quick Reply: Tube Frame Chassis?