C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My C3 has a kind of strange vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Default My C3 has a kind of strange vibration...

I'd need your inputs and comments on a strange vibration I've noticed in my C3 today...the vibration happens when the car is on the run with any of the four gears in, it does not come from the engine...it revs strongly and smooth as always.

I understand it could come from the driveline (driveshaft?) or from the transmission, like if its rotation wasn't any longer perfectly balanced.

I'm afraid it's something nasty...

What's your opinion?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Does it also occur when the car is at speed and you put the clutch in?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Les
Does it also occur when the car is at speed and you put the clutch in?
Nop, only when the trans is engaged...
Old 09-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Les
Race Director

If you're sure it isn't from the motor, it sounds like it's clutch, trans or driveshaft. Has anything unusual happened since the last time you drove it? Any work done or particularly hard shifts? Any new noises? Confirm there's no noise or vibration while car sits still with motor running and clutch in or out?
Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Les
If you're sure it isn't from the motor, it sounds like it's clutch, trans or driveshaft. Has anything unusual happened since the last time you drove it? Any work done or particularly hard shifts? Any new noises? Confirm there's no noise or vibration while car sits still with motor running and clutch in or out?
No, no new noise and there is no vibration while trans isn't engaged.

The car has a 575hp motor and the trans is a rebuilt muncie, the drivehsaft is stock, while the half shafts are 3.5'' and the rear gears are uprated with Tom's parts (built with 4.11 by Van steel).

I've found an oil leak from the trans a few weeks ago, nothing huge, just a few drops while its pretty hot.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Les
Race Director

The only other thing that comes to mind is the bolts connecting the trans to the motor. I've seen a very nasty vibration caused by those being loose and it's easy to check. Other than that, based on what you're saying I'd start by pulling the driveshaft, have it checked for trueness and balance, and have the U-joints checked. If they need replacing use the solid Spicers- you probably already knew that. It could be that simple- and hopefully it is. If the driveshaft checks out good at least it's out of the way to pull the trans and have it looked at. Good luck!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 PM
panic
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Les
The only other thing that comes to mind is the bolts connecting the trans to the motor. I've seen a very nasty vibration caused by those being loose and it's easy to check. Other than that, based on what you're saying I'd start by pulling the driveshaft, have it checked for trueness and balance, and have the U-joints checked. If they need replacing use the solid Spicers- you probably already knew that. It could be that simple- and hopefully it is. If the driveshaft checks out good at least it's out of the way to pull the trans and have it looked at. Good luck!
That's a good advice, I think you nailed it right there...

Get notified of new replies

To My C3 has a kind of strange vibration...

Quick Reply: My C3 has a kind of strange vibration...