C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no oil pressure????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 07:30 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no oil pressure????????

just got done reinstalling the motor. there is no oil pressure? here's the catch. while the motor was on the stand. it tipped over and the oil pan dented around the drain screw. i am thinking one, the pan pushed against the bottom of the pick-up. two, the pick up tube fell out from the impact. also is it true that if the distrbuter is loose, you can lose oil pressure? someone just told me that. it didn't seem likely to me. :confused:
Old 03-31-2002, 07:36 PM
BeachinVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: no oil pressure???????? (sdixon)

I had a 383 the otherday We just put back in with the distributor loose and it had oil pressure. is your rod that turns your oil pump in good?

Bob
Old 03-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cam drives the distributor which in turn,through a plastic sleeve connector drives the oil pump. So... if the sleeve is missing or broken there will be no oil pressure. :D
Old 03-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: no oil pressure???????? (silvervetteman)

the distributer is a brand new billet msd setup. it is functioning as it should. i am pretty confident the problem resides in the oil pan. the pick-up tube was not welded. i am fearing that it became dislodged. or the area between the bottom of the pick-up, and the pan has been mashed together :eek: it seem there would still be alittle pressure though. the pan is not dented all that bad.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure there really isn't any oil pressure? Maybe a blockage somewhere in the line to the gauge or if you have an electrical gauge the sender may be fualty or disconnected .

[Modified by silvervetteman, 5:57 PM 3/31/2002]
Old 03-31-2002, 07:59 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if the pickup fell off the pump it will still be submerged when the car is setting still. Only under acceleration or braking would it suck air. (but I still would remove the pan and check it to be sure.) The distributor can be loose but it must be fully seated as to drive the oil pump. Did you prime the engine and if so how? Also what are you basing the fact that it has no oil pressure, a mechanical or electric guage?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:31 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Default Re: no oil pressure???????? (silvervetteman)

Always weld on the pickup. I tried to loctite it, and that didn't work. I welded mine for peice of mind.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2002, 08:36 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: no oil pressure???????? (Pete79L82)

i manually primed the motor via a drill to down throught the distributer passage. the electric gauge barley moves of of zero when the car is started. there is also no oil making it up to the rockers while the car is running. wierd thing is there is no knocking, or valve train noise. typically you would hear some chattering in there :confused:
Old 03-31-2002, 08:45 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Get one of those cheap mechanical guages and hook it up under the hood to see if you are getting pressure. Maybe your interior guage is bad.

Dwayne
Old 03-31-2002, 08:59 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Default Re: no oil pressure???????? (BigBlockVette)

there is no oil getting to the valve train. pretty sure the guage isn't causing it!! :jester
Old 03-31-2002, 09:06 PM
BigBlockVette
Pro

Looks like you have no choice but pull the oil pan. I have heard that you should use a all steel oilpump drive shaft, no plastic connecter, as per a previous reply. It is either the shaft or the pickup fell out. I don't know if the oil pump is submerged to the point that if the pickup fell off that it would be able to suck oil. My 2 cents.

Dwayne

Get notified of new replies

To no oil pressure????????

Quick Reply: no oil pressure????????