C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission shift lever seal / o-ring

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 01:12 AM
Marc01
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Transmission shift lever seal / o-ring

Does anyone know anything about the seal where the shift lever goes into the transmission? Here's a picture of what I'm talking about...

Its the nut on the upper right. Apparently, there is an o-ring / seal in there to keep fluid from getting out. Well, its getting out. :( I took the nut off, and I didn't see anything that I could take out. Its circular and hard in there, and it just looks like part of the case.
Anyway, I looked in the svc manual, and on pg 7A-40, I saw this:

So, while changing my trans fluid, I looked up in there and couldn't see anything on the other side. So, I guess I have to remove the shaft to get to it.
The manual says to 'unthread jam nut holding range selector inner lever to manual shaft'. I assumed it meant the nut that is shown in the picture just below the screwdriver. However, I can't turn the nut, because the shaft moves with it. I tried holding the shaft it in place with pliers as best I could from the outside threads, but I almost started stripping the threads.
Ack!
So, I'm writing because I assume there is an easier way to do this, and one of you kind people can tell me! :)

Thanks.
Marc

Quick Reply: Transmission shift lever seal / o-ring