C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit racing headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 07:25 PM
antoniov1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Summit racing headers

What's yalls opinion of these? I'm gonna put these on my 82' just gotta make a O2 sensor hole I believe. I've always used hooker but just want a quick bolt on.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:00 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

They fit my '79 perfectly, clear everything even when I switched to rack and pinion. I cut off the flanges on the collectors and welded on ball flanges.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Seem pretty good. Had to bump them to clear the clutch z bar. I'm hoping they'll hold up ok, I bought them for shape rather than cost, I've had mine ceramic coated, and I put bungs in mine for o2 sensors too. Will find out soon I suppose, haven't fired the engine yet. They have lots of good reviews though. I did notice last night that the air con compressor bracket won't fit with a spacer on the bolt like it did with my previous (Hedman) headers, would need to give it a small bump there too, but I want a different compressor bracket anyway given I can't use the brace back to the intake manifold with my intake either.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM
NewbVetteGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts

Wow, I had no idea there was a header option for our cars that was that reasonably priced...

I'm shocked that they fit with a rack and pinion set, too. A pretty ridiculously good deal. @ $122.

I wanted coated headers because of looks, longevity, and because I really need to keep the heat down as my engine build is going to be pushing 10.2:1 static CR and 8.1-8.5 dynamic CR depending upon what CAM I ultimately select. I got the flowtech ceramic 31106FLT for $274.66 with free shipping after using a coupon code @ Advance Auto that knocked off $50. -They fit with basically anything you can throw at them, but they're still $150 more expensive than the summit brand.

MetalHead what did it cost to get them coated? -This really might be the cheapest way to get a good fitting set of headers for these C3's PERIOD.

If you do decide to get them coated then add your O2 bung just AFTER the header so that you don't damage the rust-resistant coating.

Adam
Old 10-11-2016, 08:00 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

I put the bungs in my headers before I got them coated. Coating in Australia is expensive, it cost me a bit under $200US for the coating - but that's inside and out and a much higher quality coating than comes on most factory ceramic coated headers (the flowtechs for example I have seen pics with rust spotting through the ceramic after a couple of years). And I wanted black. Normally it's recommended to put o2 bungs in before the flange at the end of the header, to avoid any leaking at the joints affecting the readings. I think from pictures that these are the same as one of the flowtech models but without the ceramic coating.

P.s. That engine is 10.9:1, with a 242@.050 .558" lift cam, ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. Hopefully it will work pretty well and the headers will hold up.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 10-11-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:47 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by antoniov1
What's yalls opinion of these? I'm gonna put these on my 82' just gotta make a O2 sensor hole I believe. I've always used hooker but just want a quick bolt on.
What is the collector size and what are the flange thicknesses?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:41 PM
Bronze85
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I've got those as well, 3 inch collector and 5/16 flange. They fit with no problems.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:56 AM
Redhook98
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Great fit. No issues there at all. Had a few leaks in mine, but nothing better gaskets didn't fix. Decided I wanted a different look though and bought a set of SS headers to replace them with. I had stripped and then coating my Summit headers with VHT primer, color and clear coat. Stands up good as long as you do not scratch it during installation. Good budget-minded headers.

Get notified of new replies

To Summit racing headers

Quick Reply: Summit racing headers