C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Painting Question. (Chemicals)

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Quick Painting Question. (Chemicals)

I have a old truck that runs good but the paint on it has just gone to crap. Over the weekend for the heck of it I DA'd down the hood and sprayed it with some PPG DP50LF epoxy primer that I had left over from another project. This would be a good vehicle for me to get some practice in on painting from start to finish. I have never painted an entire vehicle before and if I dork this up no big deal. i did some checking and its amazing at the cost of some of the name brand chemicals these days!!! Does anyone have any expierance with some affordable brands that have produced nice results for them?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:18 AM
mobjack68
Instructor

"affordable" and "new paint" do NOT belong in the same sentence anymore..The first all-over that I ever did was on a 1969 buick skylark. Acrylic lacquer...painted in mom's back yard (pics to prove it) painted on saturday, wet sanded and buffed on sunday....cost a grand total of $80.00

I bought Steel Cities Grey acrylic lacquer from PPG ONLINE about 4 years ago (they shut down that part of the customer online sales very shortly after that) just the paint (I bought 5 quarts) cost over $200.00. Some auto paint stores are prohibited from selling to individuals, something to do with solvent emission to the atmosphere...you can't buy the paint but Wally World sells all the aromatic hydrocarbon solvents that any pyro would ever want and the same local auto paint store that would not sell me paint, because of solvents...sold me a 5 gallon can of lacquer thinner...I don't get it???

When you add $100 for primer, $100 for sealer, $100 for thinner....$200-$300 for paint....and $10,000.00 for labor just because it's a corvette....doesn't seem fair

They'll paint a boat for $300.00...maybe we need to start flipping our plastic cars over??
Old 10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

PPG has a product called "Shop Line" that I've used with good results. I believe it cost about 35-40% less than their top tier. Please make sure to use a good chemical respirator to avoid neurological damage.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Acro74
Instructor

We are pretty much a PPG shop, but for my vette project we used SPI products just to try them out and I have to say they are pretty nice and a lot cheaper than most.

Sealer, primer and clear is what we used from SPI, all the products were nice to work with, the clear is my new favorite. Note that their procedures are a bit different than the standard (like letting the base coat sit over night before clear) but the out of the booth finished product was VERY nice.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Attfay Elleybay
Burning Brakes

Summit is selling paint now, 1 gallon for about $100. Anyone use it yet?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:54 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I second SPI epoxy and Universal Clear.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:42 PM
Ghunt
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know where I can get a boat painted for 300.00?
I'm in the process of haveing a 17' Boston Whaler painted and the Epoxy Hi- build primer alone was 300.00, Emron White and converter 250.00. The last large yacht, 105', I had painted was
125,000.00. Not my boat.

George

Get notified of new replies

To Quick Painting Question. (Chemicals)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick Painting Question. (Chemicals)