C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 01:21 AM
couldbefun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!!

ok great. new motor, new rearend, great. perfect. well i get it on the road, and now it pulls to the right slightly. :mad not bad, but enough to bother me. well the tires were rotated and the alignment done at the same time last october, only been driven 6-7 times since, mainly the last two weeks.(snow) the new rearend is dead on, adjusted with a digital style computerized machine, or somethin by that sort of name. all i know is its dead on. any others have this kind of problem? somethin unusual that caused pull? any help/suggestions/previous experiences would be great, as this is driving me :crazy: thanks all
Old 04-03-2002, 02:02 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!! (couldbefun)

whoa...first thing you learn as a technician is NEVER trust a computer to get anything done. to be honest, businesses just buy computerized alignment machines as sort of a psychological tool. Nobody believes the mechanic when they say the car needs aligned, but everyone believes it when the computer says so. but a good alignment technician is hard to find, its definatly one of the hardest aspects of a car to understand.

anyway....i can imagine you're problem is either an alignment problem possibly a powersteering problem. How do you know which one? well thats the risky part.

This is one of the first tricks i was taught, but bear in mind it takes a little brain power and is a little risky. As you're going down the road and the pull starts, just reach on over and turn the engine off. Bear in mind that you will have NO powersteering now, so it'll be a little difficult to control. But when you do this, if the pull stops, then you know its a power steering problem. If it keeps pulling, then you know its an alignment problem.
Old 04-03-2002, 05:36 AM
454Big
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also a possibility is that due to the rear end work the rear track has changed.
Was the car on a alignment machine after? I think its worth a try - the diff is a major part of the rear alignment.....
Old 04-03-2002, 06:26 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!! (454Big)

Go to http://www.tirerack.com and find theit "short course on wheel alignment" It is a great overview to read. :)
Old 04-03-2002, 09:34 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!! (silvervetteman)

I've had my '69 aligned 3 times since I re-did the suspension...

Tires plus did it first with their billion dollar system, the alignment was so bad I eyeballed it better!

Next I took to to a pretty good place that does four wheel drive trucks and the made it much better.

Yesterday I took it to an old school guy with a 1950's machine and a real frame and body man running it. cost me $90 ( btw, the tires plus alignment cost me $120!) but it's a different car, does what you tell it and does it now! :D:D

You really need to find a good frame and body man to do the job. the monkeys that work on an alignment rack all day know nothing about making a car drive well. they just try to meet specs as quickly and easily as possible.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:04 AM
Martin72
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you looked at the simple things.....my '72 had a slight pull to the left when I drove it home. After changing oil, etc....and doing a quick check, I noticed that the right front tire looked a bit lower than the rest. After a quick tire pressure check, it was about 5 lbs lower in pressure. After balancing the air pressures, the car now handles straight as an arrow...no pull at all.

I've always known that a low tire would cause a car to pull, but I've never see one pull to the left, with the right tire low?!?! Oh well.....just a simple suggestion....

Old 04-03-2002, 10:06 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Do you mean it "wanders" to the right while cruising on a flat, level road.... or
it "pulls" to the right on braking?

Get notified of new replies

To ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!!

Quick Reply: ack!! yellow demon pulls to the right now!!