C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 ZZ-4 questions

Old 10-30-2010, 02:14 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2 ZZ-4 questions

We just got the ZZ4 crate engine for the 77 Vette. I have two questions on it.

First can anyone who has a ZZ4 tell me the head numbers on yours please? Mine has the same number on both heads and both are stamped with a R. Should they be different or the same? I am wondering because one of the hole on the acc bracket on the left side does not line up to the hole. Ans the head has a R stamped on it so I am wondering if that should be a left side head causing the problem.

Second has to do with the the water pump. There is one that came on the motor. In the acc package it has a second pump for the serp set up. The second one is listed as a reverse flow pump because the belt spins it the other way. So if I put the reverse flow pump on, with the serp set up, the water should flow in the correct direction right?

This serp set up looks like the one they put in the late 80 to early 90s trucks and F-bodies. Almost the exact same set up I put in my Trans Am that I got out of a 89 Camaro.

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:26 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The heads are the same. The serp belt spins the pump in the opposite direction, hence the need for the different water pump. Coolant flow is the same direction as OEM.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM
ffvetteman
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome thanks a lot. I'll have to take a closer look at the bracket. Only had a few minutes to check it out.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:56 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

heads are same & interchangeable ... in same manner as OE '77 heads.

Most serp setups move everything forward & some stuff up... if you have not already done so ... check if you have adequate hood clearance to relocated (higher) alternator & A/C comp. Also check fan to shroud (long pump moves clutch-fan forward).

Perhaps check w/ CF member TopGunn ... he installed ZZ4 awhile back.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson
heads are same & interchangeable ... in same manner as OE '77 heads.

Most serp setups move everything forward & some stuff up... if you have not already done so ... check if you have adequate hood clearance to relocated (higher) alternator & A/C comp. Also check fan to shroud (long pump moves clutch-fan forward).

Perhaps check w/ CF member TopGunn ... he installed ZZ4 awhile back.
Hi Jack

ffvetteman, mine is a 75 but pretty close to yours. Give a hollar if you have questions. I did not get the serp setup so I cannot help there.
Most everything else is a direct swap, I reused the original starter and all brackets, pwr steering etc.
Mine was a 4 speed at the time so new flywheel clutch pilot bushing etc.

Waterpump interference with a timing cover screw was an issue with mine but I believe that will not be an issue with your serp. setup.

Lots of guys have done the same swap so plenty of info is available here.

Good luck
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Are you going to use an electric fan? I do not think the serp setup will work if you retain the mechanical fan.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:21 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by ffvetteman
I am wondering because one of the hole on the acc bracket on the left side does not line up to the hole. This serp set up looks like the one they put in the late 80 to early 90s trucks and F-bodies. Almost the exact same set up I put in my Trans Am that I got out of a 89 Camaro.

Thanks for any help.
If you use the GM Performance Parts catalog Serpentine set-up, the will tell you that on the bracket used to support the AC compressor, there's a mounting hole that does not match up to the head. They say you can ignore using a bolt for this mounting hole.

The Serpenine bracket is similar to Serpintine assemblies used on several GM cars/trucks. However, I've been told the part numbers for the GM PP Serpentine are the same as the part numbers on 1990, 1991 Camaros and Firebirds. (Or is it 1991 and 1992, I can't remember.)

Get notified of new replies

To 2 ZZ-4 questions

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 ZZ-4 questions