C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this differential a posi?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this differential a posi?

I just picked up a rear end that I want to switch out my current one with, but after I got home I realized its missing the springs that I always thought made it a limited slip.

It has an OH stamping on the cover which is a 78 or 79 and being after a 70 should automatically make it a posi, but I dont know the history of it. Could have been rebuilt or who knows what.

Thanks for any help!

Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry
Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Some guys leave the springs and plates out.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
Some guys leave the springs and plates out.
So this is a posi unit, but just without the springs and plates?

I was reading some other threads and one said if you turn the pinion and both side axles turn the same direction then its a posi, but then another thread said the opposite. One should turn the other direction.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

If one wheel turns opposite direction its not a posi.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:19 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

It could still be a posi if the clutches are setup to spec (ie. tight) and not relying on springs/plates to provide preload.....

BUT if you spin the pinion or one of the side yokes, the other side yoke may spin the opposite direction because there is no springs/plates to preload the clutches....BUT once you put real torque into the pinion from the engine, the clutches will lock...

Problem is, you don't know if the clutches have been setup like that or not....Most rebuilders do not take the time to do this..... Tracdogg2 and GTR1999 both setup or "tune" the clutches like this and do not use springs/plates for preload...This is something that has to be measured out and shimmed.

Tracdogg just built my super 10 bolt and it doesn't use springs/plates....If I turn one side yoke, the other goes backwards....but I guarantee you my posi is working......I just made 5 passes at the strip....
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

I don't know if I have ever seen an open C2-C3 rear end BUT I don't see the clutch plate guides in his rear end. They usually hang out a little from the case.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The case is relieved for the clutch tabs & keeper on a posi diff. You can see the half-circle relief and the clip for the clutch tabs clearly in the second picture

Old 11-16-2010, 10:19 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

ok, just check the rotations. Pinion turns both axles the same direction. If I turn one axle the other turns the same direction. I can hold one axle still and turn the pinion and the other axle rotates.

I guess this is a definite indication that its a posi thats been 'tuned'. Did the 78 and 79s all have springs and plates?
Old 11-16-2010, 11:38 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

Originally Posted by sidneyhop
ok, just check the rotations. Pinion turns both axles the same direction. If I turn one axle the other turns the same direction. I can hold one axle still and turn the pinion and the other axle rotates.

I guess this is a definite indication that its a posi thats been 'tuned'. Did the 78 and 79s all have springs and plates?
Damit! I just read another thread where if you're able to hold one axle steady and turn the pinion and the other rotates its an 'open' differential and NOT a posi. So which ever one has the least amount of resistance moves.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:12 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by ajrothm
BUT if you spin the pinion or one of the side yokes, the other side yoke may spin the opposite direction because there is no springs/plates to preload the clutches....BUT once you put real torque into the pinion from the engine, the clutches will lock...
Interesting and makes sense. So.... just a guess but it sounds as if on dry ground the diff without preload springs will do fine but if the same diff is on an icy surface it might act as an open rear end.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by sidneyhop
Damit! I just read another thread where if you're able to hold one axle steady and turn the pinion and the other rotates its an 'open' differential and NOT a posi. So which ever one has the least amount of resistance moves.
You can solve this by looking in to see if the side gears have clutches behind them. You should also be able to see if the clutch guides are there.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
sidneyhop
Advanced

You can solve this by looking in to see if the side gears have clutches behind them. You should also be able to see if the clutch guides are there.
I dont know a lot about differentials. Would the clutches be inside the carrier shown with the arrow? Where would the clutch guides be?

Thanks

Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Yes inside where you have the red arrow and on the other side under the side gear.
One of the guides will be just under the point of the red arrow,its a half of of tube looking thing that holds the ears of the clutch plates.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:19 AM
sidneyhop
Advanced

Yes inside where you have the red arrow and on the other side under the side gear.
One of the guides will be just under the point of the red arrow,its a half of of tube looking thing that holds the ears of the clutch plates.
Are these the clutches? A standard 'open' differential wont have these?

Old 11-17-2010, 12:45 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Yep thats the guides and the posi clutches. Is that yours ?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

Yep thats the guides and the posi clutches. Is that yours ?
Yep, thats mine. Seems as if someone has taken the springs out from what Ive been reading. Question is has it been 'tuned' correctly or even at all? I tried to take a better pic of the carrier to ask if its been polished. This would be a sign that its been tuned and possibly correctly??

There isnt a lot of slop in the spider gears, no rattle back and forth if I turn the axles. One interesting note is when I turn the pinion and hold the drivers side everything else rotates freely. When I hold the passenger side however it binds up and is difficult to turn. Could this mean the clutches or bearings need attention?

Get notified of new replies

To Is this differential a posi?

Old 11-17-2010, 04:01 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

I sent Gary a PM ,hopefully he will chime in and answer your latest questions.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 PM
sidneyhop
Advanced

No word yet from Gary.

I did notice that the clutches that were used were the snowflake variety so replacing them with solid clutches should give me a definite reason to start breaking it down. Whats the best brand and place to get them, and also the shim kit to?

Alex
Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I sent Gary a PM ,hopefully he will chime in and answer your latest questions.
Gary is no longer on CF. Try DC or CAC.

Quick Reply: Is this differential a posi?