C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:49 PM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When adjusting the spreader bar guys, you don't crank the sh-t out of it, you adjust the bar until it is just tight, no slack, then lock it in place with the jam nuts.
Like I stated before, I rebuilt everything on the suspension sytems, poly bushings,rebuilt trailing arms,360lb rear spring, 550lb front springs,ball joints,tie rods & sleeves,idler arm,new rear crossmember bushings with aluminum disks, & Bilstien HD shocks all around.
Had it aligned to the advanced VPB specs, the car handles fantastic,it is tighter and less rattles on these back roads I call home, no complaints at all!
If you want to run stock, fill your boots, if you want to improve the handling, see above.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:54 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 741 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by KanuckZ06
When adjusting the spreader bar guys, you don't crank the sh-t out of it, you adjust the bar until it is just tight, no slack, then lock it in place with the jam nuts.
Like I stated before, I rebuilt everything on the suspension sytems, poly bushings,rebuilt trailing arms,360lb rear spring, 550lb front springs,ball joints,tie rods & sleeves,idler arm,new rear crossmember bushings with aluminum disks, & Bilstien HD shocks all around.
Had it aligned to the advanced VPB specs, the car handles fantastic,it is tighter and less rattles on these back roads I call home, no complaints at all!
If you want to run stock, fill your boots, if you want to improve the handling, see above.
Thanx for the comments! I have been on a tear the last few years with my 78 L-82 4 speed, trying to get everything up to snuff since the car is 33 years old (made in Oct 77 with 65,000 original miles). I have the following on my suspension and was wondering about the spreader bar for about 18 years (bought a VBP's weldable one in 1992 but never put it on since I was very uncomfortable with setting the A arm 90 degree tabs and then having them welded-stock fan). Should I go with the speeddirect spreaderbar usning a stock fan with my setup and what kind of improvement will I see?

Front Suspension:

1. Everything has been replaced at some point-ball joints, tie rods, idler arm etc
2. OEM 1 1/8 inch OEM F-41 bar with poly mounting and end link bushings.
3. Poly upper and lower control arms bushings
4. 550 springs 1 inch lower than stock
5. GTR1999 (last month) blue printed/rebuilt OEM steering box-Zero play now.
6. Bilstein HD shocks with poly shock shaft bushings
7. 255/45/17 ZR ultra high performance tires on SLP rims

Rear:

1. 360 monospring with poly cushings
2. Competition adjustable strut rods with Heim joints
3. 3/4 OEM type rear sway bar (not an aftermarket sway bar with the non stock endlinks with poly mounting bushings
4. Bilstein Sport (30 % stiffer than the front HD's).
5. 255/50/17 ZR ultra high performance tires.

I have a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix with front and rear strut tower braces (with heim joints like the vette spreader bar) with 105,000 miles on it and it is much tighter than my 2008 Chrysler 300 without a strut tower brace (its coming soon).

Should I go for the speeddirect spreader bar or someone else's?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

JB, either the VBP, or Speed Direct bar will work, I used the VBP prewelded bar as my car has electric fans & a big block. I don't understand your concern with the one you have already?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:00 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

JB, either the VBP, or Speed Direct bar will work, I used the VBP prewelded bar as my car has electric fans & a big block. I don't understand your concern with the one you have already?
The problem with the VBP speader bar is that the control arm tabs have to be welded in place after placement is set. This step is fine for a car like yours with an electric fan where there is plenty of room but with a stock mechanical fan like I have there is VERY little clearance between the fan pulleys and the actual fan blades-too close for comfort. Once I get the actual placement of the tabs, I then would need to have someone weld them EXACTLY where I marked the tabs. Too much room for error! The Speed Direct spreader bar has the tabs already placed and welded in place which is why I am finally interested in purchasing their spreader bar.

Anyone Interested in my VBP spreader bar with the unwelded tabs-for cars with electric fans? Never been on the car-$60 plus shipping
Old 12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
KanuckZ06
Instructor

Have you tried to exchange bars with VBP?
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Have you tried to exchange bars with VBP?
VBP's spreader bar that is pre welded is only for C3's with electric fans. The bar that I have that is not pre welded is for the C3's with a mechanical fan-VBP does not sell a pre welded bar for the mechanical fan application and my bar is from the 90's but never used. Can't return or exchange it.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

To be honest I never really noticed too much of a difference when I put mine in. Probably should install it with the weight off the front like you are supposed to. I have a stiff frame to begin with I guess. Mine is just hand tight I realize you shouldn't be cranking on it either way you install it.

Only time I noticed anything felt "tighter" up front was when I put in solid engine mounts. I did notice a difference there but the solid motor mounts made the tranny bang too hard between gears, even just shifting normally so I went back to poly engine mounts
Old 12-13-2010, 01:18 PM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MotorHead
To be honest I never really noticed too much of a difference when I put mine in. Probably should install it with the weight off the front like you are supposed to. I have a stiff frame to begin with I guess. Mine is just hand tight I realize you shouldn't be cranking on it either way you install it.

Only time I noticed anything felt "tighter" up front was when I put in solid engine mounts. I did notice a difference there but the solid motor mounts made the tranny bang too hard between gears, even just shifting normally so I went back to poly engine mounts
Thanx for the feedback. I did notice a BIG difference with the strut tower braces in my 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix though-I am a big fan although it may not make as much a difference in the 78. We will see!

Quick Reply: 73 SB Spreader Bar Concerns