C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lucas Stop Leak Power Steering Fluid for 1971

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lucas Stop Leak Power Steering Fluid for 1971

Hello,

I have a very small power steering fluid leak. I did some research and was informed that the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak works good and swells the seals. Does anyone have any comments if I can uses that? Is it ok to mix with existing Power Steering Fluid?

Thank you
Old 01-03-2011, 07:15 PM
oleyellar72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leak

Originally Posted by jbakyy
Hello,

I have a very small power steering fluid leak. I did some research and was informed that the Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak works good and swells the seals. Does anyone have any comments if I can uses that? Is it ok to mix with existing Power Steering Fluid?

Thank you
No Such thing as FIX IT IN A CAN
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest never using any stop-leak of any kind.
There are no short cuts.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:44 PM
tnovot
Racer

The Lucas PS stop leak/sealer worked very well for me in my '36 GMC which has an AMC Pacer front suspension with rack & pinion steering. I was skeptical but was told it was a good product so I tried it. It smoothed out the jerkiness in steering wheel travel and stopped a small leak. My new rebuild kit for the rack is still sitting on the shelf after 2 years.
Terry
Old 01-03-2011, 07:59 PM
chonkyapple
Intermediate

I used it my 78, leak in the ram.
It almost sealed it for about two months then it spewed out.
At the end of the day it's a bandaid fix,, good luck.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 AM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Are you using PSW???

jbakyy,

There are two main reasons that cause leaks in your power steering system. One is a split hose or leaky fitting, the other is that the seals wear from old age or improper fluid.

Many people I've come across believe that ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) is OK for power steering systems. WRONG!!!

Although the two fluids may have many come from the same base stock, there are different additives in each to suit the intended use. If you have been using ATF in your power steering system, this will affect the seals and cause them to leak.

If the leak is minor, you may be able to save the day by draining out all of the ATF and filling with GM PSF (Power Steering Fluid). I know, as this worked on my 1983 Holden Commodore V8. It has a Saginaw pump, just like your Corvette, and I mistakenly used ATF for a few years a few decades ago.

It started to leak and, after asking someone who knew more than me, I drained the ATF and filled with PSF. After a week or two, the leak stopped and it hasn't leaked a drop since. And the car has done over 400,000 km!!! Still with the original PS pump with its factory seals.

If you are certain that you have been using PSF, then it would seem that the seals have reached their use-by date and need replacing. You might want to use a brand name "Stop Leak" fluid and see if it works, you've nothing to lose, as it's cheaper than pulling the pump and having the seals replaced. It won't hurt your steering system and might just save the day for you.

Good luck!!

Regards from Down Under

aussiejohn
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 AM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Lucas stuff is the only stuff that works, because it's as thick as glue. I used it for about a year, and eventually after I kept adding it and my resevoir was filled with just the Lucas, it blew a hose off because there was so much pressure from the thick fluid when it was cold.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Is there anything besides the GM fluid that will work. Where I am the nearest GM dealer is an hour away while I can walk to autozone. If a commercial non GM product will work just as well Id love to save 2 hours of drive time and about a thousand million dollars in gas.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:05 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

some 5 yrs back ... thick lucas worked fine in my 71 C3 PS and mixed w/ red Dexron ATF ... still in there ... no problem ... sky ain't falling ... yet

-also-
have MF 150 farm tractor w/ Power Steering ... OE factory operator manual specifies hydraulic fluid for trans, diff & hydraulic (lift) system ... then specifies ATF type A for Power Steering (Cessna PS pump).

Last edited by jackson; 01-04-2011 at 07:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
Is there anything besides the GM fluid that will work. Where I am the nearest GM dealer is an hour away while I can walk to autozone. If a commercial non GM product will work just as well Id love to save 2 hours of drive time and about a thousand million dollars in gas.
All the big oil companies have what they call ps fluid the exceeds the Gm Specs. Even if a false claim, I'm sure it's close enough. Heat is the biggie for pump failures.
Compare the two if really worried or just change the fluid regularily, few people ever do until a failure of some type anyway. Probably the most reliable system on a car.

Here is a chart at the bottom of the link for different applications and some specs.

http://www.pennzoil.com/documents/Po...eringFluid.pdf
Old 01-04-2011, 07:07 PM
jbakyy
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thank you!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Lucas Stop Leak Power Steering Fluid for 1971

Quick Reply: Lucas Stop Leak Power Steering Fluid for 1971