C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 05:30 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
These also MAKE horsepower.

:
I would be reluctant to say that any exhaust system will actually make horsepower. they may not restrict as much as others but that is different than actually making hp.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:51 AM
iree75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked the 68 factory cover look but did not want to spend the money for factory covers.. nor the power robbing stock muffler system. I had some Ecklers side pipe covers vacuum metalized and clear coated to look like chrome.. then used a set of headman side pipe headers, some 3in tube from Summit, stainless turnouts from Edelbrock and STS uncapped "hot rod" baffles (the hotrod baffles are only 12in long). I adapeted the factory side pipe hangers to work with the clamps that hold the turnouts on. It is by no means quiet. Idles about as loud as my F350 diesel with a flowmaster exhaust. The 427 sounds fantastic thru these @ 6500..
-F

Old 01-18-2011, 11:24 AM
blckslvr79
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iree75
I liked the 68 factory cover look but did not want to spend the money for factory covers.. nor the power robbing stock muffler system. I had some Ecklers side pipe covers vacuum metalized and clear coated to look like chrome.. then used a set of headman side pipe headers, some 3in tube from Summit, stainless turnouts from Edelbrock and STS uncapped "hot rod" baffles (the hotrod baffles are only 12in long). I adapeted the factory side pipe hangers to work with the clamps that hold the turnouts on. It is by no means quiet. Idles about as loud as my F350 diesel with a flowmaster exhaust. The 427 sounds fantastic thru these @ 6500..
-F

That's the way to do it if you want the factory look!

I like it!
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

-F
I like . . . two thumbs up!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:33 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
It's a given at this point that uncapped STS baffles offer the least power loss.
Really? Do you have "real" numbers to prove this?

Wouldn't it be nice to have some "real" numbers on the difference between the STSs, Sweet Thunder 2.75" and the Hooker Max Flows? I wonder how much of a horsepower penalty the other 2 impose?
Oh, I guess you don't.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:12 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft

Oh, I guess you don't.
I have read a ton of side pipe post available on this forum, both current and archive. After reading many posts it is usually between STS and Hooker Max Flo (the Sweet Thunder, while a quality product, seems to offer no advantages over the STS or Max Flo).

I have come to the following conclusions. Please correct me where my assumptions are in error.

Hooker Quiet side pipes:
The Quietest and the most restrictive

Hooker Glass Pak:
Louder and less restrictive

Sweet-Thunder 2” insert:
Similar to above

Sweet-Thunder 2.25” insert:
Louder and less restrictive than 2”

Sweet-Thunder 2.5” insert
Louder and less restrictive than 2.25

Spiral Turbo Baffles (undrilled)
About the same a the 2.5 above

Hooker 4” Max Flow:
Louder and less restrictive than above

Spiral Turbo Baffles (drilled):
Louder and less restrictive than Max Flow

Open Tubes:
Loudest and least restrictive

Anyway, you mentioned you would like numbers . Check out the data from a dyno run in a post from ZL1powr. Here is the link. Be sure to click also click on the Video of dyno runs

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-carlisle.html

Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:26 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by cottoneg
I have come to the following conclusions. Please correct me where my assumptions are in error.
Yes, they are assumptions.

HTTP 404
Old 01-18-2011, 01:45 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Think he was referring to this post:
Old 01-18-2011, 01:57 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Think he was referring to this post:
I've read that thread before. Actually, that thread is what made me dicide to buy my Max-Flo's.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
CRAIGVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

-F

That looks fantastic. I have been debating on doing something like that, or go with XS Power or Hooker sidepipes. Your setup certainly looks like it would be the most cost effective solution, and the fiberglass covers should keep things fairly cool to prevent leg burns. Where did you get the Ecklers side pipe covers vacuum metalized and clear coated to look like chrome? How much did that cost you to have done? I am assuming that these are the fiberglass covers, or are they the metal reproductions? Again, nice setup, thanks!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:18 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Oh, I guess you don't.
Actually I don't have "real" numbers and it would have been more acurate to say "based on what has been posted on this forum it seems that uncapped STS baffles offer the least power loss". When you do a search in this forum using "baffles" there is lots of reading and many of those threads have dyno numbers for STS baffles. Here's one http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...vs-spiral.html I thought it would be easier to decide which insert suits you/your car best if the 3 major players were tested on the same 500+ horsepower motor with a sound clip so you could weigh the pros and cons of both. I'm leaning towards Max-Flo's also.

Last edited by 3JsVette; 01-18-2011 at 10:22 PM. Reason: added content
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
iree75
Instructor

Originally Posted by CRAIGVETTE
That looks fantastic. I have been debating on doing something like that, or go with XS Power or Hooker sidepipes. Your setup certainly looks like it would be the most cost effective solution, and the fiberglass covers should keep things fairly cool to prevent leg burns. Where did you get the Ecklers side pipe covers vacuum metalized and clear coated to look like chrome? How much did that cost you to have done? I am assuming that these are the fiberglass covers, or are they the metal reproductions? Again, nice setup, thanks!
Thanks. They will say they stay cool for sure.. and they are very light weight. It was some work to make sure the pipes don't touch the covers anywhere. You should be able to fit pipes/mufflers up to around 3.5 in under them without touching. The cost of the chroming process was around $550 with another $150 to clear coat them for durability.. so when you consider the the cost of the covers themselves and shipping to the plater.. it's around $1k.. you may be able to find real covers on flee bay for that. You also need to take time to prep the covers, as any imperfections will show thru the plating as it is very thin. You can contact Tony Azcue @ Tony's Auto Classics - Dallas TX for the plating - (shelby1968@tx.rr.com).
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
STODD
Advanced

Default Inserts

I have hooker headers and side pipes with both glasspack(great deal from a friend) and the max flows. I personally like the glass pack sound better, but feel they are really robbing my 500hp 406. Not sure if it was all the max flows or the cooler winter weather, but the car is way different with the max flows, very strong. They are real loud though, even the neighbor that likes me threatened to call the noise police. Since I have both I think I will run the glass packs unless I am going racing, takes me a bout 30 minutes to swap them out, but I have yet to re-install my rocker moldings.
I also have a hi pitched chirp out my passenger side with the max-flows that I put started a post on last week. Still not sure what that is.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:11 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by STODD
I have hooker headers and side pipes with both glasspack(great deal from a friend) and the max flows. I personally like the glass pack sound better, but feel they are really robbing my 500hp 406. Not sure if it was all the max flows or the cooler winter weather, but the car is way different with the max flows, very strong. They are real loud though, even the neighbor that likes me threatened to call the noise police. Since I have both I think I will run the glass packs unless I am going racing, takes me a bout 30 minutes to swap them out, but I have yet to re-install my rocker moldings.
I also have a hi pitched chirp out my passenger side with the max-flows that I put started a post on last week. Still not sure what that is.
I too think that the Max flos are a bit too loud, but the glasspacks would really strangle my 502.

When I bought my '69 in 1979 it had a '70 LT-1 motor and sidepipes with glasspacks. One day I removed the side tubes and took it for a ride. What a difference! It had to have gained 50 hp, and this was only 350 cid. With glass packs on, the motor would quit pulling at 6000 rpm. Without the side tubes it was still pulling at 7200 rpm. Of course max flos didn't exist then.

The chirp is probably the insert moving around slightly.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:07 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

I've read that thread before. Actually, that thread is what made me dicide to buy my Max-Flo's.
Me too. Unfortunately they will too loud for most track events requiring a car with mufflers.

Last edited by cottoneg; 01-23-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:10 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by baxsom
I would be reluctant to say that any exhaust system will actually make horsepower. they may not restrict as much as others but that is different than actually making hp.
The quickest way to boost hp on a pre computerized small block Chevy motor is to free up the breathing on both the intake and exhaust sides as the heads were much better at air flow than the stock (iron) manifolds would allow. This has been proven in countless magazine articals over the past 50 years. If you go by mfg. hp numbers an alum intake and most any header will make more hp/torque than their cast iron brethern. If you believe that the hp was always there waiting to be unleashed.....you say tomato, I say tomotto.

Compare Hookers with 2 90* bends per pipe vs Stahls with none save the 4" one that points the gases down the side of the car, I don't think an engineering degree is required to say that the Stahls are less restrictive freeing up more hp/torque to the rear wheels. There are some under car headers that might show more gains, but to tie them in to side exhaust usually results in a big S pipe and that will take away any efficency you might have picked up. Is a high lift cam less restrictive than a stock one? Are aluminum tall runner angle plug heads less restrictive than stock iron ones? You go faster by doing one of two things, remove weight (anywhere you can) or make your motor more efficent (by removing restrictions). More hp to the rear wheels has and still is what it's all about. /:\
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Dracule
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just gott'a ask....... are you guys replacing header gaskets a lot with these fenderwell headers? Seems a lot of leverage and twisting might be unavoidable with them.

Get notified of new replies

To Header sidepipes

Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 AM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dracule
I just gott'a ask....... are you guys replacing header gaskets a lot with these fenderwell headers?
Never had to.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had to.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
The quickest way to boost hp on a pre computerized small block Chevy motor is to free up the breathing on both the intake and exhaust sides as the heads were much better at air flow than the stock (iron) manifolds would allow. This has been proven in countless magazine articals over the past 50 years. If you go by mfg. hp numbers an alum intake and most any header will make more hp/torque than their cast iron brethern. If you believe that the hp was always there waiting to be unleashed.....you say tomato, I say tomotto.

Compare Hookers with 2 90* bends per pipe vs Stahls with none save the 4" one that points the gases down the side of the car, I don't think an engineering degree is required to say that the Stahls are less restrictive freeing up more hp/torque to the rear wheels. There are some under car headers that might show more gains, but to tie them in to side exhaust usually results in a big S pipe and that will take away any efficency you might have picked up. Is a high lift cam less restrictive than a stock one? Are aluminum tall runner angle plug heads less restrictive than stock iron ones? You go faster by doing one of two things, remove weight (anywhere you can) or make your motor more efficent (by removing restrictions). More hp to the rear wheels has and still is what it's all about. /:\
GREAT INFORMATION HERE

Quick Reply: Header sidepipes