C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is mt hood correct

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM
mvette76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is mt hood correct

i have my vette strip to the glass and someone ask me why the hood is white and the body is gray! i did not have a answer so i'am asking is it correct?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

Probably not. What does the underside of the hood look like? Is it smooth, or rough, with the strands of the fiberglass very noticable. If it's rough, it sounds like it's an aftermarket, hand laid fiberglass hood, not a factory press molded.

I think that 63 was the last year Chevrolet used white fiberglass, and this was more of an ivory color. Black glass was used in the late 60's and then replaced with the gray fiberglass. Aftermarket hand laid glass has come in many colors over the years, depending on the maker, including gray, black, tan, pink(!) and white.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You have an aftermarket hood. Unpainted stock hoods were gray, bare fiberglass, the same as the remaining body panels.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 AM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Excuse me for highjacking your thread, but what method did you use to strip car down to the glass? I figure with fiberglass there are probably just a couple ways to strip the paint with damaging the glass.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mt. Hood is white.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist

In answer to your question I'm with gbvette62, i just recently had my hood down to under the paint and its gray not white,white is often the color of the gelcoat used by aftermarket providers

Get notified of new replies

To is mt hood correct

Quick Reply: is mt hood correct