C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Box wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 04:53 PM
dp1969
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Box wiring help

I have a 69 Coupe that has been disassembled and is going back together. I have an MSD 6AL box, and all new wiring harnesses. I need a little help from some one who already done this wiring. I think there is more than one way to do it, but surely someone has the best way to connect all the wires from the box and incorporate into a standard wiring harness. Also, placement of the actual box is an issue, car has AC and very little room in the engine compartment.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to be in the same boat very soon. My MSD is now located behind the drivers seat, on top of battery compartment door, and I want to move it. I'm thinking of putting it inside the passenger fender, under the radiator tank. I've read that many people do that. I have AC too and it's pretty tight in there.

I don't know about the wiring yet, but MSD has some good documentation. Look on the instructions tab.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...n-Control.aspx
Old 03-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With my '69, I installed the MSD behind the passenger side of the dash. It's not difficult to remove the panel and there's room for it, but my car doesn't have a/c, so whether that makes a difference I don't know.

Behind the dash also keeps it away from engine heat.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 PM
6t9427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Msd

I installed mine below radiator overflow on inner fender it can be seen inside the open shark gill on passenger side, good airflow away from engine heat.
The wiring came with tabs for the coil so no modification to original wiring was necessary and allows you to return to stock setup should box fail or you want to return to stock.

Originally Posted by dp1969
I have a 69 Coupe that has been disassembled and is going back together. I have an MSD 6AL box, and all new wiring harnesses. I need a little help from some one who already done this wiring. I think there is more than one way to do it, but surely someone has the best way to connect all the wires from the box and incorporate into a standard wiring harness. Also, placement of the actual box is an issue, car has AC and very little room in the engine compartment.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:25 AM
Fonz69
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing to make sure and do is run your main power and ground to the battery and no where else
Old 03-10-2011, 10:37 AM
dp1969
Advanced

What about the "Switched 12 volt source", any popular spot for this wire? I have considered mounting the box in the storage area behind the driver/passenger seat and run the wires forward under the carpet to the engine compartment, any thoughts?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:14 AM
moonsteel
Holley HP EFI w/TPI
Support Corvetteforum!

I put mine behind the passenger seat, easy to wire directly to the battery.
Wiring follows factory harness back up beside the drivers seat
Old 03-10-2011, 11:50 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know if this is typical for an MSD, but the box in my 71 makes a lot of noise. Like a high pitch clicking / arcing noise. Since it's right behind my head, it's loud. Don't know if you would hear it if it was inside the storage compartment.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
6t9427
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If MSD is connected directly to battery it will be hot all the time, no way to switch off. Is there a reason to connect direct to battery?

77014803]One thing to make sure and do is run your main power and ground to the battery and no where else[/QUOTE]
Old 03-10-2011, 01:10 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by dp1969

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Box wiring help

Quick Reply: MSD Box wiring help