C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

572 motor M21 transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 03:22 PM
lowkeytow
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
People kid their selves into thinking that side pipes are performance items. Very few side pipe systems are built with any thought as to primary size and lengths anywhere near being functionally tuned pipes.

The throttle cable is easy enough to figure out by just have a friend floor the gas and look down the throttle bores.

Motors in the 600 - 700 hp range are fun, but not a monster. Zero to about 130 mph is kind of fast like around 12 seconds and then the air barrier slows the rate of exceleration.
Well put I agree completely. I will follow your instructions on the cable issue.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2011, 03:19 PM
lowkeytow
Advanced

Originally Posted by ajrothm
With a 572, your tranny gearing should not even matter....nor your rear gearing....On street tires with a stick you should be wasting 1st/2nd with wheel spin.... First thing I would do would be to check the timing, 2nd thing I would do is re-visit your air cleaner choice, that little mini air cleaner sitting only 1.5" above the carb throat is choking that 572 to death.....Also check the basics, make sure your carb secondaries are opening fully when the throttle is on the floor....you may need to re-adjust the cable..Lastly, does it run the same whether using the under car exhaust as well as the side pipes? The side pipes are likely killing 40-50hp....atleast...

That car should be down right nasty.....I think you have some stuff on that car that is killing the motor..,,

Yeah that muncie is on borrowed time....I would be looking at a TKO600 or Magnum t56 soon.... Or better yet, a t400....
You nailed it by saying check the basics. The throttle was not reaching wide ope. I found and issue with the pedal to lever to cable connection. I tightened a nut down and the pedal came of the floor a lot. It made a huge difference. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,331 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by lowkeytow
You nailed it by saying check the basics. The throttle was not reaching wide ope. I found and issue with the pedal to lever to cable connection. I tightened a nut down and the pedal came of the floor a lot. It made a huge difference. Thanks.
Ya, You have to have full open I went to first road racing meet today. It is so nice to not think about speeding! I had my foot on the floor in forth gear @ 140 shifting to 5th gear on the main straight.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Huge difference I bet.

Now that youre getting WOT go change that air cleaner to a real one and youll see even more. That will NOT feed that motor period.
Old 09-09-2012, 12:27 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

maybe check out a t10 trans from summit.for the air intake consider a air pan that mounts on top or the carb and radiator.you get fresh air from in front of the radiator.use some foam to seal it ,and some sticky foil insulation on the bottom of it.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:51 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Use of one of the filter top covers will help breathing if filter isn't too close to the underside of the hood (DON'T buy one of the cheapo ones they are junk) I still can't see why anyone would have issues pulling away with a 3.08 rear end and all that torque of a 572 cu in - unless of cause the cam being used doen't make ANY power below 1500/1800 rpm. Mine makes 568 ft/lbs max torque at 3850rpm, and yes I could give it the beans and smoke the rubber, but why - the best way to get away is to feather of the line without wheelspin up to, say 20 to 30 mph and then hit the load pedal - with all that torque the front will rise-up, rear end squat and dig-in and off you go - a perfect launch - and whilst your competitors may have had the initial edge over you, when they are scrabbling for second gear you are still powering past in first

Quick Reply: 572 motor M21 transmission question