C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 12 Bolt, Off Set T/As, & Suspension Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Hap-
Thanks for the compliments! Still waiting to hear when you are going to escape the TX summer heat and visit sometime for that ride. I made it by Mike's today and we got to close on a couple of small things and it's getting really close to being on the road. In fact the alignment is set up for this coming Wed so we need to nail the last couple of details.

Bob-
Now I remember why I don't bet.....
There is a bumper stop for the upper A-Arm that is mounted to the frame. It's shaped like the cap of a mushroom and is about 1.5" in diameter and it now hits the cross brace tube of the outter A-Arm tube. I tried to grab you a pic tonight bit is pretty dark.

Hamad-
Your photo request didn't turn out too well either....The flash just obliterates everything once it picks up the reflective license plate, and I took this pic just before sundown so the lighting with the shop door open and no flash wasn't that good either. Once I get her on the road I'll post more pics shot outdoors and you be able to see it better. It definitely looks meaty...not as meaty as Hap's 335's under his car however.

Tonight we found a real interesting Bubba fix that I had never noticed before trying to get the center gauge console & dash back together. Two years ago when I gutted the interior I didn't even catch it. Someone has cut the gauge bezel frame off just above the upper gauge cut outs level, so the inset panel piece for the wiper switch no longer has the surround piece with the chrome lip so it leaves a gap above the wiper switch because the bezel frame is cut away. Well some day in the future that will be addressed but it's not stopping the 2011 driving season.

Anyway the Oil Temp Gauge is installed, the clock is gone, and it looks great. The sending unit from GM Parts Direct should be here early next week to complete that project.

Thanks for the support guys!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Y
Bob-
Now I remember why I don't bet.....
There is a bumper stop for the upper A-Arm that is mounted to the frame. It's shaped like the cap of a mushroom and is about 1.5" in diameter and it now hits the cross brace tube of the outter A-Arm tube. I tried to grab you a pic tonight bit is pretty dark.
Ray,
Thanks so much for the info and picture. I'll be putting bumpers in mine before buttoning the front end up.

I'm old and retired so I lose track of time. I feel like I missed the Saturday you mentioned.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:24 AM
johanlu
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Corvette -70 540engine Tom.s 12 bolt14/80kit

Interesting to read about your setup
Good looking work!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Well today was the planned completion day but as these kind of projects go, sometimes they don't know there is a plan they are supposed to follow. Everything got finished up yesterday and today was supposed to be the drive in to the alignment shop and then get ready for the new top install. Even with my late project add ons it looked good to make it today....except aparently the MSD Digital 6 box installed last year has decided it doesn't want to cooperate, and this is the 2nd box which is really starting to concern me. A new box should be here on Friday morning so hopefully the alignment shop can still squeeze me in on Friday afternoon, after we cancelled less than 1 hour before our apointment today that is doubtful or it will probably be raining cats & dogs.

To add insult to injury.... I am also going to have cancel my slot at the upholstery shop that I booked 10 weeks ago because my new Al Knoch top isn't going to get here in time. I ordered a new Stay Fast top from them over 3 weeks and I was told they were out of stock but a top would ship in 3 to 5 days. Last week I called to check status since I had not received it only to be told they were making another production run and it would ship no later than Tuesday of this week and they would drop me an email with my shipping info for tracking. This morning there was still no email from them so I called again only learn they made some and shipped them to the oldest backorders and mine was not one of them. WTF they can't make enough to fill ALL of the backorders??? They said they would check their mobile install truck to see if there was one on it and call me back. At 4:55PM their time today I called them back and repeated the story of trying to get my top and was put on hold for 15 minutes, before being told "no tops in the truck it will be at least mid week next week before it will ship." So tomorrow I will have to cancel my install slot and that means it will probably now be July before I can get the top on now even if they do ship next week. This thing better be absolutely flawless when it arrives or it's going back and a new supplier will be making it.

Other than that, today was the first cloudless day with temps above 70 degress we've had since September.....
Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 AM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Sounds like one of my plans. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
JoeC427
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tumarr
here are pictures of the finished product. Ford nine inch IRS!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Default She's Done and at Home!!!!

She's DONE!!!!

I picked the car up earlier today and made a couple of 30 mile break in runs on the differential. HOLY COW does she handle with manners now!!! I set up all 4 corners at 13 clicks on the QA1s to start for today, it handles great on the curves/corners and it doesn't jar your teeth out either. I am going to increase it 2 clicks for a final differental burn in run tomorrow morning; after that heat cycle it should be good to go for a little abuse. The rear end is very quiet despite everything I've always heard about Richmond gear whine, a testament to the great set up work by Gary Ramadei during the 12-Bolt build. Thanks Gary!!! And the 3.73 gears are a perfect match for the engine//tranny combo; way better than the 3.55's that were there before.

The ignition issue earlier this week was not an MSD issue after all....at the fuse box there are 2 keyed sources to tap off from and believe or not, 1 is not powered when you turn the key past the on postion to engage the starter, when you release the key back to the on position it is hot again. The other one is hot in both key positions. Guess which one the MSD box had gotten moved to??? Anyway problem is solved and everything is working great again. Thanks Mike (aka Warbonnet, the all one word one) for your diligence and eye for detail, you are great to work with!!

Well I still have no Stay Fast top from Al Knoch.... I had to cancel my slot at the upholstery shop and now their next opening is the end of August. I am not happy a camper about that.

I am absolutely thrilled about how the car turned out however! Here's a few pics I took today between runs....did I say how much I love the new stance? Once the springs break in a little I may drop the rear a little more, just depends on how much it settles. I've only got 2 1/2" clearance under the header flanges and just shy of 3" at the low point of the exhaust under the axles.

My version of a DRL system: PIAA 1400 Dichroic Lamps located behind the grills

Hey Hamad, If you're still following this thread this pic is for you, per your request:

....and my personal favorite pic of day:

Did I mention I LOVE the new stance????

Thanks for following along on my build thread and I hope you like the results as much as I do!
Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Looks great. Like the stance also.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Neptune75
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new Favorite car on the forum! stance is perfect!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Former67er
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, super cool and the stance is
Old 05-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the compliments Guys!!

I put another 35 miles on it earlier this AM to heat cycle the new gears, everything is working great. I should be able to get another couple of heat cycles in today.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

One last update....
I got the 4 wheel alignment done earlier this week and have completed Gary's reccommended 10 heat/cool cycles on the differential. Yesterday the wife & I drove around Flathead Lake since the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and we hadn't gone more than a few miles before she said "I can't believe how much better this car rides". I can't agree more!

When I first bought this car 5 years ago you were afraid to drive it with both hands on the wheel because it road walked so bad, yesterday on a straight stretch I let go of the wheel at 75 mph for >1/4 mile and she just tracked perfectly. I've got almost 400 miles on it now and this suspension upgrade is the best thing I could reccomend if you are fighting your car for who owns the road.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 PM
vetteguy22
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Glad to hear all worked out well and now you can really enjoy driving your car. I also think the stance is great. The whole project looks great.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Bob Heine
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I think you need to update your avatar with the new stance.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:49 PM
Rebelrob
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Ray, wow, very cool. I like the stance also. These cars lowered make a huge difference cosmetically. Congrats on getting her back on the road. Great scenery up there in MT.
I am sure u have posted this, but what is yer rear wheel size, tire size on the back. Width, backspace, etc. Looks like it fits up in there nice.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:06 PM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great car Ray!, enjoy it , and thanks for the pics, I now just need to rise the needed cash for a similar rear end setup
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM
eagle275
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

just came across this - very nice!

Get notified of new replies

To New 12 Bolt, Off Set T/As, & Suspension Upgrades

Old 05-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for the compliments guys!

Bob-
Yes an updated avator shot once again on "Going to the Sun Highway" in Glacier National Park is planned for this summer/fall. Right now it's still buried under a lot of snow.

Rebelrob-
Yes all of the details are scattered thru the build thread, but those are 9.5' x 18" American Racing TTII wheels with a 5.5" BS, Nitto NT 05R DOT street drag radials in 285/40R/18 using off set TAs. Fronts are also 18" but 8" wide with 4" BS.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:42 PM
69vettester
Pro

bump incase anyone else somehow missed this one..

I just looked through your post, Amazing Build, so clean to look at and displays the mechanical advantages so well

I have this bookmarked and will use it as a model if I go for a lighter weight version sometime. I havent been doing alot of but the stuff I see you guys do is The Tops and inspiring.

Last edited by 69vettester; 09-02-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Ray Y
Burning Brakes

Hey Tom,
Thanks for the bump!

This car is has been so much fun to build it makes me smile every day.

I got my Al Knock black stay fast top on and finally have a slot for paint for the fall of 2012....he's a really great custom paint & body guy that only does 1-2 cars/year and has been featured in several magazines over the past 2 decades, and he's local to boot. I can't wait to get some new color laid down and get rid of the stress cracks.

Quick Reply: New 12 Bolt, Off Set T/As, & Suspension Upgrades