C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afr oil drainage ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Afr oil drainage ?

Where did this info come from?has anybody running afr heads had any problems with this? I heard some of you drilled out the oil drains.why didnt afr company fix this problem if there was one? I bought a set of afr heads,just wanting to make sure there isnt any problems before start up.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:19 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Billysvette
Where did this info come from?has anybody running afr heads had any problems with this? I heard some of you drilled out the oil drains.why didnt afr company fix this problem if there was one? I bought a set of afr heads,just wanting to make sure there isnt any problems before start up.
This is old news and does not apply to new heads. My are a year old and have no signs of problems
Old 04-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
This is old news and does not apply to new heads. My are a year old and have no signs of problems
I hope its old news but there was some people on here talking about the new heads. But what you said about no problems, sounds good to me. I hope theres no problems.thank you
Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The new AFR 227cc Eliminators I have the oil pools up at the back-end where the drain-back hole is enough so it goes over the "wall" of the head and into the gasket which has to be RTV'ed there at the back or they will leak.

Never had this problem with any other Perfromance head as the oil never got high enough back there that you could run them with no gasket which is almost exactly what I did with Vic Jr heads, put the valve cover on and didn't put the bolts in, so there was actually nothing holding the valve covers on. Came back after a short drive and was astonished that despite the mistake I made no oil ran out of valve covers

*I put this on all my posts: Please post back to those who helped you, the final outcome of your initial post
Old 04-17-2011, 03:15 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the eliminator 195's and no problem
Old 04-17-2011, 03:56 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil Zell
I have the eliminator 195's and no problem

Ever since day one, my 383 has used a quart every 1000 miles. I drive it very hard, and expect this. Every engine I have ever built has done this and the quart every 1000 is not much in my opinion and has never cause me issues and 30 years of building hot rods. The AFR195's are a new addition to this engine which now has 25,000 miles on it. With the new heads, the amount of consumption has not changed at all.

In addition, I gained 35 horsepower on the dyno, from the numbers I got using the cast iron heads that I had ported and polished when I first built the motor.

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 04-17-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Well,i hope theres no problem,i have the 210s ,it will suck if theres a problem thanks alot guys
Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

I installled the 210 RRs about 7 years ago and had a problem with the oil pooling on top. I took the heads to a machine shop and had them mill a groove front to back as well as increase the drain hole szie some. Put them back on and haven't had a problem since.

This was a fairly common problem back then, I believe the addressed it with their new style heads
Old 04-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

My older 195s have the valve cover leak problem Motorhead talks about.

I went ahead and cut a drain trough at the aft corner edge so it has no where to pool. Now no valve cover leaks anymore.

I also opened up the fore and aft main oil drain holes to help decrease pooling around the whole head.

I burn a quart every 500 miles but not sure it's the heads.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:54 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

I have AFR 210 Eliminators and have no leaks or oil puddle problems. I don't put many miles on the car, but no problems just the same.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:06 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Ok guys,this is a old post but after redoing my engine because of burning oil,i think i found the problem,it was my high volume oil pump,it must have been flooding out my heads and being pushed in the valve seals and guides.I put in a new crank and regular pressure oil pump and bearings and rings. the heads were wet on top of the valves which told me the oil was coming in through the guides and seals.So the answer was so easy ,a regular pressure oil pump did the trick.I was running like 80 100 psi when cold ,then once warmed up 60 70 psi.plus high volume on top of it.So if somebody is having oil burning with new rebuilt engine,it could be the oil pump.i dont think i will ever run a high volume oil ever again on the street.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

So I'm curios how one determines when they have a Oil Pooling problem. I have AFR 180's and they are about 6 or so years old. I use a High Volume pump as my Engine is Turbocharged and they need Oil to. I have had an issue with the Oil getting sucked down the PCV Valve. My Valve covers have no baffle for the PCV. I have recently switched the PCV from the aft right side to the forward left side and it seems to be working better. However now I am getting Oil coming out the Breather that is now back on the right side.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM
Billysvette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
So I'm curios how one determines when they have a Oil Pooling problem. I have AFR 180's and they are about 6 or so years old. I use a High Volume pump as my Engine is Turbocharged and they need Oil to. I have had an issue with the Oil getting sucked down the PCV Valve. My Valve covers have no baffle for the PCV. I have recently switched the PCV from the aft right side to the forward left side and it seems to be working better. However now I am getting Oil coming out the Breather that is now back on the right side.
I dont think afr heads drain oil back to engine to good,you can look at them and see a problem,afr company should have milled a drain gully to help oil drain faster.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Ive never had any issue with the Eliminator heads

have had an issue with the Oil getting sucked down the PCV Valve. My Valve covers have no baffle for the PCV.
Thats the problem
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 AM
Surfer69
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Update above: My oil burning problems ended up being ring/Hyper piston oil consumption issue. Now the same heads dont burn anything. So even the old ones arent bad with a little mod.

Get notified of new replies

To Afr oil drainage ?

Quick Reply: Afr oil drainage ?