C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cARB SPACER 1972 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default cARB SPACER 1972 LT1

When I got my car it came with Holley Dual pump carb and had a spacer between the manifold to the carb. It was leaking at one of the pump area so I got a new Edelbrock 650 CFM not sure which series it is.

In order for the air cleaner that came with the new card I had to remove the spacer. what added value having the spacer installed with the old Holley. do I need it with the new carb? Recently after driving the car for anything longer than 10 minutes, park it for 10 minutes or so it is hard to start acting like it is flooded. it takes several cracking before it decides to fire up, when it does I have to assist it with the throttle. After several reving it up, as if I just cleared and extra fuel it will idle. Also, when I get into the garage I can smell fuel. At first start in the morning or after is sat overnight, just two pump on the throttle is will fire up and will idle.

Is the old holley it came with worth re-building? I sure hate to think this new carb is not working as advertise. what can I check to verify it is actual dumping fuel after I shut the engine down?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,608 Posts

since you dont mention the list# of the Holley, does it have external sight plugs in the fuel bowls to assist in adjusting the float levels? If so check the levels, sounds like they are high. You do realize a 72 LT1 came from the factory with a 780 CFM carb?
Old 04-25-2011, 07:24 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

it wont run as well with that Carb on an lt-1. someone worked on that motor a Carb spacer is a tuning trick to increase Plenum volume my advice is rebuild the original Carb and use it.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:38 PM
trainor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
it wont run as well with that Carb on an lt-1. someone worked on that motor a Carb spacer is a tuning trick to increase Plenum volume my advice is rebuild the original Carb and use it.
When I went from my stock rochester to my edelbrock 650 it did the same thing. Starts great cold but blubbers and starts bad after shut off, while still warm. I called edelbrock and they said it was heat soaking, I bought the wooden spacer and put it on. My problem was gone and is still gone. Say what you want guys, but a pretty easy fix for $21.00
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

on a small block a lot of double pump Holley's will not function without a spacer, the secondary pump will hit the manifold
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM
rvazquez
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 82 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (stock)

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
When I got my car it came with Holley Dual pump carb and had a spacer between the manifold to the carb. It was leaking at one of the pump area so I got a new Edelbrock 650 CFM not sure which series it is.

In order for the air cleaner that came with the new card I had to remove the spacer. what added value having the spacer installed with the old Holley. do I need it with the new carb? Recently after driving the car for anything longer than 10 minutes, park it for 10 minutes or so it is hard to start acting like it is flooded. it takes several cracking before it decides to fire up, when it does I have to assist it with the throttle. After several reving it up, as if I just cleared and extra fuel it will idle. Also, when I get into the garage I can smell fuel. At first start in the morning or after is sat overnight, just two pump on the throttle is will fire up and will idle.

Is the old holley it came with worth re-building? I sure hate to think this new carb is not working as advertise. what can I check to verify it is actual dumping fuel after I shut the engine down?
newbie2vette, I understand the Eldebrock is a very good carb and may just need to be adjusted or tweaked a little more to get it to run properly, as the above poster stated the original 72 LT-1 Holley was a 780 cfm carb and you replaced it with a 650, so it might be a little on the small side.The list #6239A or #6239-1 and part no#3999263 should be stamped on the front of the air horn. the third line of the stamping is the date code.If your Holley is the original carb, I would definitely consider having it professionally rebuilt and put back on the car with the correct 1/4" spacer installed
A simple adjustment of the float bowls may be all it takes to remedy the flooding issue and you may want to tap the outside of the carb float bowl covers to see if it unsticks the bowls. just remove the covers and spray some gumout all over and see what happens. Let us know what you decide to do.
Regards
Roy

Get notified of new replies

To cARB SPACER 1972 LT1

Quick Reply: cARB SPACER 1972 LT1