C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 06:38 PM
WeasleVette454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question...

They said that if I was using an MSD box WITH the Blaster II coil that they recommended it be mounted vertically. They said that if I was using the coil WITHOUT an MSD box, mounting it horizontally was just fine.
One step closer! :cool:
Weasle
Old 04-19-2002, 11:44 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question... (WeasleVette454)

What is this guy from MSD talking about? If I understand correctly, the Blaster II coil (same shape as a Delco) mounts in the coil boss on the intake manifold and that's vertical. BTW - What difference does vertical or horizontal make as to which box is used?
Old 04-19-2002, 11:46 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question... (bigvette1)

the msd blaster 2 coil when mounted horizontally will allow the oil to be only on one side and heat up the windings which in turn could cause the msd to fail...i know from first hand experience.only mount it vertical off of the intake or firewall which i did.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:57 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Default Re: MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question... (WeasleVette454)

Weasle:
Kinda makes sense ... if my logic's not faulty ... & MSD techs usually know their stuff VERY well! The Blaster 2 is an oil-filled canister (the blaster hi-vibration is an epoxy-filled canister). The oil helps cool the windings. Typically, canister coils are mounted vertically so most of the windings are covered with oil. When you drive the coil with an MSD box ... it'll shove a few hundred more volts into coil than without the box. So, the coil's windings'll tend to get hotter when driven by a box ... and they need all the oil-coolant available ... so mount the coil vertically with box. If no box, it doesn't matter as much so you can get away with horizontal. Better yet, run epoxy-filled or an e-core ... they mount either way ... no coolant or oil inside. I've got a new MSD Hi-vib Blaster epoxy-filled coil ... never mounted or used ... for sale. I've decided on & bought MSD HVC e-core instead.
JACKSON
Old 04-20-2002, 12:05 AM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question... (jackson)

Jackson, thanks for the education. Makes sense. I agree use an e-coil and then you can mount it where you need to. I used the recess in the firewall by the distributor. Nice little ledge and a place for one.

Get notified of new replies

To MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question...

Quick Reply: MSD Tech responded to my coil mounting question...