C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Adjust-a-jet thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 01:49 AM
rob75383
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Holley Adjust-a-jet thoughts

Somewhere between 2002 and 2003, I purchased 2 Adjust-a-jet kits from Holley. Nowadays, I think they're sold under Percy's brand. Those days I had been tinkering with the jets so often, that I could park the car, swap jets, and be back on the road in 4 minutes. I really don't remember what I was thinking, but I decided that the adjust a jet kit sounded like a good idea. 10 years ago, I figured that all I needed was some new carpet, and a fresh paintjob, and the car would be done for a few years. Hah, shows what little I know.

All this time, I've had the adjust a jets on the carb, but I never could get it tuned just right. I took her out here and there, but for the most part, I just put boxes on my car, and buried it under the mess in my garage. I let her sit untouched for 5 years, and 2 years ago, when my boy was 4, he wanted to take it for a ride. So I got her running 'good enough' to cruise, my boy was happy, so I was happy, and left things the way they were.

Last year, I really tried to get her tuned up, and just never had enough free time to really dig into her. So I mostly just cruised around with my son. I had to get this thing running right. Talked to some folks, read stuff online, and just decided to get back to the basics of tuning her. Made some progress, but had a few things I couldn't figure out. I decided to pull the carb and rebuild it.

I tear down the carb a few days back, and see that the rubber-like adjust a jet gasket had torn apart in certain key areas. Looks like I overtightened a bit.

I'd like to revisit the adjust a jets, but driving her to work today with the stock jets in place - no stall or hesistation like before, it may take a while.
One thing I recently realized, is that your average joe doesn't change jets every 3 days, so if the stock jetting is working, I see no need to use the adjust a jets for now. The other thing I'm thinking about, is that I got the impression that the adjust a jets are a crutch, and wholly unnecessary. Easy tuning for a lazy slacker. I dont have the time to tinker with the car all day like I did 10-15 years ago, but in reality- there is no need to.

I'm not giving up on the adjust a jet system just yet, but I am gonna keep things simple, and just drive my car for the time being (she's falling apart quicker than I can restore her).

What sort of experience or impressions have you all had with the adjust a jet system?
Old 05-05-2011, 09:30 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

much the same it was faster to actually change jets because in a prior post i said you don't just turn the screw and have an 78 jet. overrated product.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:34 AM
boltnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

adjust-a-jets are for racers that are constantly tuning and tweaking for changes in altitude, temp, track conditions, ect. for a driver car you should be able to get the jets right and never look back.

Get notified of new replies

To Holley Adjust-a-jet thoughts

Quick Reply: Holley Adjust-a-jet thoughts