C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

died and now will not start

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:32 PM
jschulz30
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default died and now will not start

Was driving my 71 stock 350 friday night it just died after about an hour of driving. It will turn over but not start. Fuel pump is working and I changed the fuel filter. The car started after I changed fuel filter then died after about 30 seconds. Where do I check next?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 PM
cm2dinger
Racer

The screen in your in tank pump might be clogged or a fuel line anywhare along the line clogged.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 418 Posts

You have to start with the basics. A car needs fuel. spark, and compression to run. Look down the throat of the carb and work the throttle. Can you see a stream of fuel from the accelerator pump? If so, you have fuel. Next test for spark. Use your favorite technique - spark plug tester or pull a plug and use that. If you have both and the timing is right, check for compression, but that's pretty unlikely. Sounds like fuel or spark.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 PM
jschulz30
Advanced

Originally Posted by drwet
You have to start with the basics. A car needs fuel. spark, and compression to run. Look down the throat of the carb and work the throttle. Can you see a stream of fuel from the accelerator pump? If so, you have fuel. Next test for spark. Use your favorite technique - spark plug tester or pull a plug and use that. If you have both and the timing is right, check for compression, but that's pretty unlikely. Sounds like fuel or spark.
it has fuel I will check for spark. thank you

Get notified of new replies

To died and now will not start

Quick Reply: died and now will not start