C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 t-top weather strip

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:13 PM
ltblue79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1979 t-top weather strip

so i started to take off the old weather stripping and Im having trouble with the screws. it seems they have small nuts on the inside that keep turning with the screw. once i get these free how do I get the nuts back into place since it seems theres no way behind them. Im having hard time finding any type of instructions on this year. thanks
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM
Tattood
Cruising

Default If memory serves...

I did mine a little while ago so I know what you are going through. The nuts are square that are spinning. The area they are in are a little larger then they need to be and we get to run into issues like this. I used PB blaster (I use this stuff all the time) on the screws. That helped a lot. Of course I say that and 2 of the darn screws just stripped out. I used a dremel and just grinded it down as much as I could. I used a flat head screw driver to help lift up the nut so I could grind it down as much as possible. Then there are little tabs that you can bend down and let the square nut fall out. If you don't lift up the nut when grinding you won't be able to grind it down enough to get the nut out easily. I bought new ones at the local Ace Hardware. I slid those in and bent the tab back up.

Be careful when you are grinding down the stuck screws. If memory serves the screws where sunk in a little but so you might mess up the chrome around the area.

Good luck.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
ltblue79
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tattood
I did mine a little while ago so I know what you are going through. The nuts are square that are spinning. The area they are in are a little larger then they need to be and we get to run into issues like this. I used PB blaster (I use this stuff all the time) on the screws. That helped a lot. Of course I say that and 2 of the darn screws just stripped out. I used a dremel and just grinded it down as much as I could. I used a flat head screw driver to help lift up the nut so I could grind it down as much as possible. Then there are little tabs that you can bend down and let the square nut fall out. If you don't lift up the nut when grinding you won't be able to grind it down enough to get the nut out easily. I bought new ones at the local Ace Hardware. I slid those in and bent the tab back up.

Be careful when you are grinding down the stuck screws. If memory serves the screws where sunk in a little but so you might mess up the chrome around the area.

Good luck.
thanks! i got most of them out but the nuts are normal looking nuts with no tabs! so im not sure what they look like that i need or how i get them down inside
Old 06-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Tattood
Cruising

Can you send me a picture of which ones you are talking about. I think I might know but I am not 100%. If memory serves the screws with the square nuts were 3 in the center and there was 1 on either end that I couldn't see the nuts. Maybe those are the ones that are spinning???

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 t-top weather strip

Quick Reply: 1979 t-top weather strip