C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IGN fuse box post not reading 12V

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default IGN fuse box post not reading 12V

I recently replaced my '71 points distributor with an HEI unit. In doing so, I needed to add a new 12V source. I was told that the IGN fuse box post is the correct location to attach to.

However, when I tried to start the car for the first time yesterday, it would not start. I took my voltmeter and checked for 12V right at the IGN fuse box post and couldn't get a constant 12V reading, it would just jump all over the place. So for the time being, I had to temporarily hook it up to the BAT fuse box post to get it started, which meant I had to pull wire to stop the engine.

The question is, I should be getting a constant 12V reading on the IGN post right?
Old 06-20-2011, 04:33 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

My answer would be no. The IGN terminal on my 1974 is occupied by the power window wiring (stock/factory) and I have added daytime running lights there. Both are ignition-switched. Key off, no power.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:55 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paul 74
Both are ignition-switched. Key off, no power.
I know the post is ignition switched, that's why my distributor should be tied to it, so when I turn the key off the car stops.

What my question was asking is that if I stick a voltmeter to the IGN post, it should read a fairly constant 12V when the key is on. When I have my key on my IGN fuse box post doesn't read a constant 12V, the digital readout jumps all over the place.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:01 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

It should read constant,try pulling out the DIR SIG fuse right next to it ,clean the term and maybe replace the fuse and then retest.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:12 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ...Roger...
It should read constant,try pulling out the DIR SIG fuse right next to it ,clean the term and maybe replace the fuse and then retest.
I had all of the fuses out when I went to put in the 20A fuse in next to the IGN switch. Here is a picture of the fuse box before I took out all of the fuses:

I'm not sure yet what that existing wire pink/black is for as I haven't traced it, but it's going into the exact slot I want to hook up my distributor to.

I'll try cleaning it next and see if it was just rusty and that caused the bad reading.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:27 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
I had all of the fuses out when I went to put in the 20A fuse in next to the IGN switch. Here is a picture of the fuse box before I took out all of the fuses:

I'm not sure yet what that existing wire pink/black is for as I haven't traced it, but it's going into the exact slot I want to hook up my distributor to.

I'll try cleaning it next and see if it was just rusty and that caused the bad reading.
Those are the power window wires with an AUX included on the side. I used the AUX for my DRLs. This pic shows the AUX on that line. The red wire is my add-on for the DRLs. It runs to a control module at the front of the car. The in-line fuse is installed but at this point I had not added the connecting terminal to the AUX.

Last edited by Paul L; 06-20-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM
ElCameeeno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a steady 14.1v at the IGN terminal.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElCameeeno
I get a steady 14.1v at the IGN terminal.
Sounds as if the car was running. I didn't measure but the AUX I have shown should be good for the HEI input.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:56 PM
ElCameeeno
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops sorry, should have clarified that. 14.1 running, 11.7 or so with the engine off.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElCameeeno
Oops sorry, should have clarified that. 14.1 running, 11.7 or so with the engine off.
Sounds like a healthy system!
Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

How are your turn signals and back up lights acting,its same fuse ?

Have you considered powering your dist from the 12 pink coming off the ignition switch ? That's where GM gets the power for HEIs.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Have you considered powering your dist from the 12 pink coming off the ignition switch ? That's where GM gets the power for HEIs.
True, Roger. But that does not explain what seems like a problem at the fuse box. I would hunt down that malfunction as well.

*Edit* - I remember years ago I lost a lot of electrical functions on my 1967. One of the bulk connectors on the firewall side of the fuse box had come loose and there was some corrosion. I cleaned things up and used di-electric grease to re-connect. A little Goop to hold things in place as well (yes, I am Bubba). All was well afterward. Just a thought.

Last edited by Paul L; 06-20-2011 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Default Mea Culpa

That was it, I had been assuming it was the fuse to the left of the IGN post when Roger was correct, the power comes from the DIR SIG fuse. As soon as I put the fuse in there, my IGN post showed the correct 12V.

That's the biggest noob error I've made in some time on this car.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 AM
dembo
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Roger made a good point, when you look at a 75 diagram, the HEI is powered by the 12 pink going to the ignition switch. That's what I did using a Scotch lok, keeping the IGN terminal free for other goodies
Regards,
Nick
Old 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

I am pleased that you got that matter sorted out. Happy motoring!
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

That was it, I had been assuming it was the fuse to the left of the IGN post when Roger was correct, the power comes from the DIR SIG fuse. As soon as I put the fuse in there, my IGN post showed the correct 12V.

That's the biggest noob error I've made in some time on this car.
Super

For future reference-generally fuses on the left are hot 24-7
................fuses on the right are Ignition switched
the tiny Inst LPS fuse at the bottom is hot "only" when the HL switch is pulled out.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by dembo
Roger made a good point, when you look at a 75 diagram, the HEI is powered by the 12 pink going to the ignition switch. That's what I did using a Scotch lok, keeping the IGN terminal free for other goodies
Regards,
Nick
That's exactly what I do. The Scotchlock makes a good connection,it can be reversed in the future if you want to go back to points.
Bubba ? No-way , GM used them also in most C3s.

The IGN spade is OK but it is fused and already carries a load from the Turn signals and Backup lights,a short in either one would shut down the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To IGN fuse box post not reading 12V

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

The IGN spade is OK but it is fused and already carries a load from the Turn signals and Backup lights,a short in either one would shut down the engine.

Interesting, and an excellent point. Is the new hot wire (pink) to the HEI fused?
Old 06-21-2011, 09:52 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by paul 74

Interesting, and an excellent point. Is the new hot wire (pink) to the HEI fused?
No,it doesn't have a dedicated fuse. It would be fused by 1 of the fusible links at the starter or horn relay depending on the year of the car.
This is the same for factory HEI cars.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

No,it doesn't have a dedicated fuse. It would be fused by 1 of the fusible links at the starter or horn relay depending on the year of the car.
This is the same for factory HEI cars.
I'm a bit confused. The IGN post must be fused by the DIR SIG fuse as I wasn't reading 12V on there until I put in the 20A DIR SIG fuse.

However Paul74 is correct, if I had a short in my lights that caused the fuse to blow my engine would shut down. I don't quite remember what gauge of wire I used from the fuse box to the distributor (it was either 12 or 14) and I didn't put in any additional fuses in there thinking that the fuse box would already have that covered.

The hot pink (black stripe) wire in my photo was already on the car when I bought it and I believe someone said it went to the power windows?

Quick Reply: IGN fuse box post not reading 12V