C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of questions after ignition lock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of questions on reassembly after ignition lock replacement

I have replaced my ignition cylinder lock and I'm now reassembling the column.

1) When Installing the shaft lock plate, it sure takes a lot of pressure to compress the spring behind the canceling cam, I guess this is why the J-23653 tool is needed for reassembly. My question is, I want to compress this locking plate with my thumbs and have another person engage the c-clip. The amount of pressure it takes is significant and seems like too much for the canceling cam to bear without breaking. Does this sound right or have I missed something in the reassembly procedure?

2) I have a part that I don't remember disassembling, can someone identify it and enlighten me as to where it goes (see photo)?

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/...t=100_1767.jpg

Last edited by shafrs3; 06-23-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The part in your pic is part of the turn signal switch.
The pressure is substantial,it will be tough to use both thumbs and get it down to get the clip in,but it can be done.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:37 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that you have the leaf detent spring that is shown on its edge on the extreme left of the following picture.

Since the T&T column has the locking plate deep inside the turn signal switch housing, it is real difficult to get your thumbs down inside to compress the plate.

If I remember correctly, someone cut out a window in a piece of PCV pipe. That allowed someone to press down on the locking plate while another person pushed the c-clip through the window and into the slot for the clip in the lower steering shaft. Here is a picture as to how things should look when you insert the c-clip.

Jim
Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is spot on. I also see that I have that locking plate upside down which would add to the pressure.

Thanks Guys, you're the best.

Get notified of new replies

To Couple of questions after ignition lock replacement

Quick Reply: Couple of questions after ignition lock replacement