C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

body mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 11:11 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default body mounts

I just noticed that the 2 rear body mounts are just about gone. I know that the body has to be jacked up to replace. I have done a body off on a 68 and replaced them at that time but never without removing the body. How high does the area have to be lifted? Can you do just the rears and where do you place the jack to raise the body? Etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JoeB
Old 04-24-2002, 06:11 PM
DVG73
Racer

Default Re: body mounts (woodworkr)

Those blasted mounts is what started me on my body off restoration. I have to believe that you must loosen them all to change even just one. Otherwise you may be putting a lot of stress on the body. My experience with the body bolts was that I needed a sawzall to get them off. If you car is not rusty than it may not be an issue. I would think you would have to raise the body at least one maybe two inches to get the new ones in. As far a where to put the jack I am not sure where the best place would be, perhaps someone else can chime in. Good luck
Old 04-24-2002, 06:24 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,612 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default Re: body mounts (woodworkr)

One of the vette mags did a story on replacing the rubber mounts about 6 months ago. They loosened everything up and used a hoist to pick up the body from under the doors. The rear aluminum mounts on my car are pretty bad and the mount frame pulled away from the body but I'm not changing them now. they rusted pretty good and know that will lead into a bigger job then just the mounts.
gary
Old 04-24-2002, 06:34 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: body mounts (gtr1999)

Another body mount question:

Any of you guys know of any solid body mounts for 'Vettes? Thats what my front subframe has and thats what Id like to use for the 'Vette's rear frame section. Would any GM solid mounts work or is there something special about 'Vette mounts? :confused:
Old 04-24-2002, 07:47 PM
DVG73
Racer

Default Re: body mounts (BlkBird)

The only solid mounts that I know of are the ones up to 1973, have not seen any after market solid mounts for vettes other than those for pre '73. And I don't know about the compatibility with other GM products. The pre'73 mounts were aluminum and were changed to rubber with the '73 model year. Don't know if the aluminum mounts would work on a '78 but I don't see why not. The solid ones might produce a stiffer ride though.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:49 PM
Blues77
Burning Brakes

Default Re: body mounts (BlkBird)

My Body mounts are probably fried too. What do they affect? And is it unsafe?
Old 04-24-2002, 09:01 PM
LATNC3
Burning Brakes

Default Re: body mounts (Blues77)

would the defective body mounts result in a leaning rearend? i had this problem. this is what lead me to redo my entire rearend! i hope the redo is not in vain!!!! :cry :cry :cry :smash: :smash: :smash: :)

Rod:cool:
soon to be LATNC3...what do you guys think for a personalized plates??
Old 04-25-2002, 08:53 PM
BlkBird
Racer

Default Re: body mounts (DVG73)

Are you saying they had solid mounts from GM prior to '73? Thats kind of an interesting little tid bit. Ill have to look into that, thanks! Im sure I will end up with a stiff ride but thats o.k. Im sacrificing alot just to go through some corners...dont tell my wife though, I think she still thinks it'll ride like a Caddy or something when Im done :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To body mounts

Quick Reply: body mounts