Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Borgeson drag link for manual convert

Old 06-30-2011, 01:30 PM
BOOT77
CF Senior Member

Default Borgeson drag link for manual convert

Ok been reading old post and googling the heck out of it, but I like to be sure. I want to convert my 77 too manual steering. My other cars are manual and I have no problem with it. All my PS stuff is leaking all over and I'm just looking for the cheap/quick way to get it done. Plus I plan on drag racing some and wouldn't mine the tad weight loss or acceleration gain.

I've read about the spindle holes and mine is a 77 so I only got one set. So replace the control valve with the Borgeson unit and what else?

Been trying to reading about the piston thingy or damper, stabilizer. Well all I can say is, there's one on it. Do I need it? Is manual one different?

Thx for the help, woulkd like to hear from anyone who has done this convert.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 PM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

send a PM if you or anyone else is interested in owning a genuine GM HD manual steering center link (relay rod/drag link) and the correct pittman arm in bolt on condition.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM
BOOT77
CF Senior Member

Cool, but nothx I rather try the Borgeson way.

Ok so yah I do see there is a diff in the damper the power one has lines.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:41 PM
nate99
CF Senior Member

Just bought a manual drag link and pitman arm from redvetracr myself (showed up in the mail yesterday). He's a stand up guy, and you don't get any easier than the stock setup.

Last edited by nate99; 06-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:04 PM
sokoloka
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by redvetracr View Post
send a PM if you or anyone else is interested in owning a genuine GM HD manual steering center link (relay rod/drag link) and the correct pittman arm in bolt on condition.
Just responded to the email you sent me.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
72LS1Vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BOOT77 View Post
Cool, but nothx I rather try the Borgeson way.

Ok so yah I do see there is a diff in the damper the power one has lines.
That's not a damper. It's the hydraulic ram that provides the power assist, fed by the pump and controlled by the valve.

Rick B.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM
BOOT77
CF Senior Member

Ah cool, I saw the pic on the manual parts looks like the damperner was in the same spot.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Jim Shea
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The C2 and C3 Corvettes with manual steering had a steering damper until sometime late in the 1968 model year. (The damper was cancelled in the 1968 AIM on April 20, 1968.) For engineering and/or cost reduction reasons, it was determined that it was no longer required. I have information that the damper was never used on big block Corvettes.

Now, the basic Corvette chassis didn't really change from 1963 through 1982. So what changed around 1968 that might have allowed the damper to be removed? Well probably nothing major. Possibly tire changes? Maybe something changed in the late 60s but removing the damper was never investigated at that time.

Steering dampers were used on many manual steering vehicles throughout the years.

Power steering fluid acts as a damper in vehicles with hydraulic power assisted steering.

Jim
Old 07-01-2011, 12:09 AM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jim Shea View Post
The C2 and C3 Corvettes with manual steering had a steering damper until sometime late in the 1968 model year. (The damper was cancelled in the 1968 AIM on April 20, 1968.) For engineering and/or cost reduction reasons, it was determined that it was no longer required. I have information that the damper was never used on big block Corvettes.

Now, the basic Corvette chassis didn't really change from 1963 through 1982. So what changed around 1968 that might have allowed the damper to be removed? Well probably nothing major. Possibly tire changes? Maybe something changed in the late 60s but removing the damper was never investigated at that time.
didn`t the Corvette get wider wheels and larger front spindles in 1969? and didn`t the damper go away when the relay rod got thicker?
Old 07-01-2011, 06:47 PM
TheSkunkWorks
CF Senior Member

didn`t the Corvette get wider wheels and larger front spindles in 1969? and didn`t the damper go away when the relay rod got thicker?
That would seem a logical path things might well have followed to this viewer.

BTW, what diameter are those HD relay rods you've got? I'd like to compare that with the one I got from Dick G back in the day, as the topic came to mind during one of GŁnther's threads recently.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:38 PM
jjst

Default 79 switch to manual steering

Hello sir. I'm switching my 79 vette to manual steering and was wondering if you might have the parts needed. and a price. thanks

Old 06-23-2016, 12:12 AM
redvetracr
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by jjst View Post
Hello sir. I'm switching my 79 vette to manual steering and was wondering if you might have the parts needed. and a price. thanks

PM sent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borgeson drag link for manual convert

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: