C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 01:29 AM
Vash the Stampede
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses?

I live in a small town in ohio. No emisions checks around here! What can I chuck to get my 75 up to par with the rest of the vette crowd? I bought it, and the cats were already gone. It has true dual exhaust on it, with no Y pipes. Is their any other emisions add ons that I can change? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2002, 01:39 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Re: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses? (Vash the Stampede)

smog pump if you have one, rework carb, redo dist advance, egr valve, :cheers: to name a few dthings
Old 04-29-2002, 02:05 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses? (Vash the Stampede)

Forget taking things off.
Just put in a nitrous/fuel-injected/twin-turbo 502.
-Steve :)
Old 04-29-2002, 03:10 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses? (Pacin'California)

Forget taking things off.
Just put in a nitrous/fuel-injected/twin-turbo 502.
-Steve :)
If you do that just remember that everything from the engine back, including the transmission, will be blowing bolts, nuts, and metal slivers out the back.

You can get an EGR block off plate, definitely remove the smog pump if it's still there. Then reroute all your vacuum hoses like I did mine: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=86&TopicID=3.

Other than that you will need to put a new cam in, and pushrods & valve springs if the cam has more lift.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:18 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses? (Rockn-Roll)

I would hope that anyone who had the cash to get a blown, fuel-injected twin-turbo 502 would have enough money to fix everything that went wrong... :)
I wasn't serious though.
I agree, dropping the smog pump will help a little bit, I had mine cut for a while when it went bad and noticed a mild perf increase. At least you can take it off and pull some weight off the nose. Would definitely reccommend going for headers, and the EGR block off as said. Could also lose heat-riser, if the car has it. Everything you take off, though, make sure to keep in a box somewhere in case the next owner could ever need it... or, perhaps by some random fluke, you just might end up needing it yourself. Never know what the democrats will do next. :)
-Steve
Old 04-29-2002, 05:06 AM
rob75383
Pro

Good 'ol '75 L48 vettes, the damned weakest, slowest, and almost heaviest of all the vettes...

My advice is to get a whole re-evolution goin on your car.
Start with headders. Then try a carb/ intake upgrade.
When you get the money, I say get some new heads and a cam to top it all off. Jeg's has some new aluminum heads for about $650 assembled.

You should probably see some good gains with just adding the headers to the mix. (Drive with the headers uncapped at least once, so you can get that grisly growling exhaust sound that is on the other side of the spectrum from the dreaded :U ricer fart tube)
Old 04-29-2002, 11:04 AM
Vash the Stampede
Advanced

Default Re: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses? ('75 383 ElkGrove)

Well, my 75 is an L-82, so I dont feel as bad!
And hey, dont forget about the California 306's! :D

Get notified of new replies

To No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses?

Quick Reply: No emisions laws! What can I lose to add horses?