C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First timer Head Gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 10:44 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Replace that rubber fuel hose with a steel one!
M2C Steve
Old 08-22-2011, 11:31 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in agreement with others that this looks very much like a cracked head, not [just] a blown gasket- the water on TOP of the center header pipes gives it away, and that's right where small block Chevy heads crack. Don't just clean it up and bolt it back together or you'll very likely wind up doubling your work. Numbers matching or not, they're useless if they're cracked. Get them checked out once they're off the car. BTW, I've had the motor out of mine three times and every time it miraculuosly made its way back in!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:27 AM
flyingman21
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely have the heads checked out!

Here was my ordeal:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...s-cracked.html

Here is the fix:

Just FYI
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 AM
jkjazzsax
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be the luckiest guy in the world right now. I haven't really gotten to know my next door neighbor that well since I moved in to my new house a couple of years ago, but I have seen him pulling cars around to his shop every now and then.

I walked over to his house last night and thought I'd see if he had any expertise in the area of SB chevy's... turns out he's rebuilt over a dozen of them! Wow! He was eager to come over and see the Corvette, so we mozied across the yard and he confirmed it was a blown head gasket at the least. Possibly a cracked head since they are cast iron.

We had a beer and chatted for over an hour and he asked if I had air tools -which I don't. He suggested that starting next Tuesday I bring the car into his shop and we'll do it together. Heck, he even asked if he could call his son up to come over and work on it with us too!

Pretty excited to have an expert mechanic living next door! I will be buying all the for this project!
Old 08-23-2011, 10:01 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by jkjazzsax
he confirmed it was a blown head gasket at the least. Possibly a cracked head since they are cast iron.
Cool Do you know how he confirmed this?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:09 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd say its perfect time for aluminum heads and a cam upgrade
Old 08-23-2011, 10:58 AM
jkjazzsax
Instructor

Originally Posted by qwank
I'd say its perfect time for aluminum heads and a cam upgrade
It already has a thumper cam in there and she sounds sweet, but we plan on checking the cam while we're there. Can anyone point me to some decent, moderately priced aluminum heads for the 350?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:34 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

if you already have a cam in there the motor is really going to wake up with new heads
Old 08-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

It already has a thumper cam in there and she sounds sweet, but we plan on checking the cam while we're there. Can anyone point me to some decent, moderately priced aluminum heads for the 350?
Go AFR and never look back. You'll keep them for as long as you keep the car, unless you get BIG power dreams in your head.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I must be the luckiest guy in the world right now. I haven't really gotten to know my next door neighbor that well since I moved in to my new house a couple of years ago, but I have seen him pulling cars around to his shop every now and then.

I walked over to his house last night and thought I'd see if he had any expertise in the area of SB chevy's... turns out he's rebuilt over a dozen of them! Wow! He was eager to come over and see the Corvette, so we mozied across the yard and he confirmed it was a blown head gasket at the least. Possibly a cracked head since they are cast iron.

We had a beer and chatted for over an hour and he asked if I had air tools -which I don't. He suggested that starting next Tuesday I bring the car into his shop and we'll do it together. Heck, he even asked if he could call his son up to come over and work on it with us too!

Pretty excited to have an expert mechanic living next door! I will be buying all the for this project!
Guess it sound's pretty cool, but one thing I've learned over the years, is keeping everything as a business transaction. For the work done, agree on a fair price and pay it. Nothing worse than owing a pesky neighbor favors, expecting you to help re-roof his house or something. Not to mention, he might start hanging around, sticking his nose into your business. I'd be careful with this.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:23 PM
jkjazzsax
Instructor

Something just occurred to me...

I have the Holley Intake and Carb. I think the '78 came with the rochester quad? Am I going to need different gaskets? If so, which ones?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone point me to some decent, moderately priced aluminum heads for the 350?
Take a look at the Brodix IK180 heads if your cost conscious. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRO-1021005/
Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think you'll be fine with standard intake gaskets from the local parts store, as swapped several different brands of manifolds over the years without problem. Not a bad idea checking with the manifold maufacturer, or Summit Racing tech lines though. Since maybe in contact with Summit, may as well order some Mr Gasket Ultra Seal header gaskets while at it. The mentioned Brodix or AFR heads are probably more than you're wanting, but wouldn't hurt scanning the forum's parts for sale for sale section, or even post you're looking for some stockers.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM
jkjazzsax
Instructor

The full gasket kit came in the other day. Geez... that's a LOT of pieces!

Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

These are about the cheapest decent aluminum heads I have been able to find.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-5089/

However, you could go this way:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-152123/

Or this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-152123/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-226019/

Alot of ways to go, here, give it some thought.

Scott
Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

While you have them off there are all sorts of things you could be checking. If it were me I'd do as I think it was 63split said. Have the heads magnafluxed or pressure tested, Resurface, and if it were me I'd replace the seals. Not expensive. If I didn't have the tools, I'd get loaners from the parts store and take a look at the valves, seats and guides.
Heck, you've got them off and where you can get at them. You may as well check what you can.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
For what you're now talking about doing with the pan and all, probably give some serious consideration, of just pulling the motor. Plus are you sure it's the pan gasket, and not the rear main seal. You may want to list your location, as some hear may have equipment/tools to lend, and maybe even give a hand. Keep in mind, if the new head gaskets are thicker than the originals, you'll need to adjust the valves. Probably do it no matter what anyway. The manual should show you this. Probably step back for a bit and give this a little more thought, before rushing into things.
the valves absolutely must be adjusted whenever the heads are removed

Get notified of new replies

To First timer Head Gasket replacement

Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't let the kit worry you. There will be stuff in there you won't use. That's just shelf stuff. I'd bet everybody on here has "shelf stuff" from kits that cover several applications or not needed for your job.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

the full gasket kit came in the other day. Geez... That's a lot of pieces!

let me guess head gaskets in kit most likely .041 thick and your pistons way down in the hole. For no compression when done.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:44 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 581 Likes on 462 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

yes,definitely headed for that magical 6.1-1 ratio we aspire to. 90 pounds of boost wouldn't help that

Quick Reply: First timer Head Gasket replacement