C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 10:00 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake.

I have been debating this purchase for a LONG time. Based on my observation, opinions regarding composite vs. steel seem roughly 51% in favor of composite and 49% in favor of steel. :confused:
I'll just have to decide for myself on this one. I will be using the Tokico shocks that I currently have installed. Bob at Muskegon brake said that the Tokico's will do a GREAT job of controlling the composite spring.

Be assured that I will take all of the necessary precautions to minimize heat exposure to the spring.
At the very least, if for any reason I don't like the results, this is an easily reversable mod. With a little luck, I hope to report the results within a couple of weeks. Lot's of reassembly to do.
Old 04-29-2002, 10:13 PM
TQ67
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake. (MIKER)

Get the highest PSI rated spring from TRW, even if you have a SB!! You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-30-2002, 02:10 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake. (MIKER)

Ditto EdT.
Old 04-30-2002, 09:16 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the TRW 340 lb. spring on my 74 for almost 15 years and have been very pleased with it. If I had to do it over again I would have gone a little stiffer but all in all no complaints.
Old 04-30-2002, 10:38 AM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I installed :smash: the Muskegon TRW designed Composit rear spring on my 66 big/block one year ago .........very satisfied , a great product.... good price...................already had Monroe radial tuned shocks on my Vette..no bounce...nice ride...Vette Brakes has a specially calibrated rear shock if bouncing occurs......note I have side exhaust so heat is not a factor, the spring comes with a heat shield, that I put on anyways , it seems like it also would deflect stones..... :yesnod: :seeya :flag

[Modified by StrayDog, 9:43 AM 4/30/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 11:52 AM
74-Roadster
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Father & Son St. Jude Donor '09

. . . With a little luck, I hope to report the results within a couple of weeks. Lot's of reassembly to do.
Can you be on the road for thw May 11th Hooters event?????
Old 04-30-2002, 01:17 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake. (74-Roadster)

[QUOTECan you be on the road for thw May 11th Hooters event?????[/QUOTE] Glenn, I hope that I have it on the road by the 11th and I really would like to make it to some of the local forum gatherings but I have to be at work on the 11th.
Soon I should have ALL of the mechanicals in order. Then after fresh paint and carpet I'll be BACK IN BLACK! :cool: Right now, I'm kind of embarassed for anyone to see my car in the daylight. :lol:
Old 04-30-2002, 11:12 PM
razz1980
Racer

monkey see and monkey do..i called VB this morning to get the info on there rear springs and was gonna order from them..this post changed my mind..the peice difference was about $90 and the shippping from musgken was only $14 while VB has to call me back with a shipping price meaning its gonna be alot more.. :smash: shocks are next month so i need some recomedations..renember price and comfort are my 2 main concerns.. :jester
Old 04-30-2002, 11:39 PM
Chris69
Burning Brakes

I recently put the same 355 spring on mine and the ride is great!
Old 05-01-2002, 12:01 AM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake. (Chris81)

EdT
"Especially with those mismatched center caps."
A while back, I lost a center cap from my rear wheel. EdT sent me a replacement. It has '79 emblem in it. I have been blaming that '79 center cap emblem for all of my suspension woes. I told Ed that I was ordering a composite spring, adding a coil over shock to that corner, and filling that one tire with foam in attempt to cure the problems caused by his center cap! :lol: For the record, if I crash and burn in the future, remember. . .it was likely caused by that darned '79 center cap! LMAO. :lol: ;)

razz80
"shocks are next month so i need some recomedations..renember price and comfort are my 2 main concerns.."
Razz and I have exhanged IM's about these shocks. I will cut-n-paste it here in case others might be interested.
"Here's a link to Tokico gas shocks web site >> http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/
I am using the non-adjustable type.
I just found what looks like a good deal on Tokico shocks at http://www.coolwheels.com They are on sale for $47.64 (retail $73.57)
I first heard about the Tokico shocks in Corvette Fever Magazine. A few years back when they did an article about improving the ride for C3 Vettes.

Chris81
"I recently put the same 355 spring on mine and the ride is great!"
WOW! 6 out of 10 replies are telling me that I have made the right choice! :cheers:
I'm getting really anxious to get it all back together.

[Modified by MIKER, 10:01 PM 4/30/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake.

Quick Reply: Today I ordered a 355 psi "TRW design" composite spring from Muskegon Brake.