C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crate motor choices

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
Also, how sweet would it be if they offered the 10067353 with vortec heads?
Scott
Maybe... I can make sense of this one. You blew the motor in your pre-vortec truck, and you want it back on the road. Vortec heads have a specific intake bolt pattern, and you could screw a lot of customers over.

Besides, Vortec heads are only really all that good for people who want a cheap head to make decent power (250-350 hp). After that, you're back to the original style bolt patterns and MUCH better heads.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:56 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Maybe... I can make sense of this one. You blew the motor in your pre-vortec truck, and you want it back on the road. Vortec heads have a specific intake bolt pattern, and you could screw a lot of customers over.

Besides, Vortec heads are only really all that good for people who want a cheap head to make decent power (250-350 hp). After that, you're back to the original style bolt patterns and MUCH better heads.
Well, ya wouldn't be able to advertize it as a REPLACEMENT engine, but as a cheap, 300 hp performance engine with vortec heads. How is that going to screw anybody over? ANY engine with vortec heads is going to need a vortec compatible intake.

I think a 300 HP vortec head SBC long block for around 1500-1700 bucks would sell like hotcakes. They'd have to put an extra shift on at the plant down in Mexico!

Scott
Old 09-15-2011, 06:06 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Well, ya wouldn't be able to advertize it as a REPLACEMENT engine, but as a cheap, 300 hp performance engine with vortec heads. How is that going to screw anybody over? ANY engine with vortec heads is going to need a vortec compatible intake.

I think a 300 HP vortec head SBC long block for around 1500-1700 bucks would sell like hotcakes. They'd have to put an extra shift on at the plant down in Mexico!

Scott
There is a market for people who want an engine that will accept all the stock stuff, so they can bolt on and go. When smog is a concern, changing the heads could have a significant impact on what original components can still be used.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:22 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
There is a market for people who want an engine that will accept all the stock stuff, so they can bolt on and go. When smog is a concern, changing the heads could have a significant impact on what original components can still be used.

GM Performance already makes an engine for them: 10067353. What I'm talking about would be a different engine, advertised to a different buyer. Pipe dream, anyway, they aren't gonna do it just 'cuz I want them to. They may have some good reasons for the decisions they make, but as I get older, I am not so sure. More and more, lately, it seems like the entire world is run by knuckleheads. Maybe it's just me getting old. LOL!!!

Scott
Old 09-15-2011, 08:41 PM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

More and more, lately, it seems like the entire world is run by knuckleheads. Scott
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM
bucky katt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably aren't gonna want to hear this, but GM Performance 10067353 (260 hp) is the exact same engine with an rv cam already in it, for $500.00 less than the 290 hp engine. Sorry........

Scott
i'm actually looking at that motor. i have a really mild hydraulic roller cam and the retro-fit lifters, with the cam having similar lift and duration at .050" specs. i like the hydraulic roller over a flat tappet cam for the much decreased wear as much as for the lower parasitic losses. i'd go with the Keisler 5 speed conversion but i cant make myself spend that kind of money right now. I chose a 200R4 over the 700R4 because the 200 is the same length as the TH350 AND the driveshaft yokes are also the same.

i guess i should have mentioned that emissions inspections arent a factor, no visual inspections either in SC, but with the self tune injection it ought to be pretty clean anyways.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:52 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

And the wierd thing is that all the parts are right there in the bin!

I've assembled a couple of these from the shortblocks metioned...smokin deal for a great engine.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

GM Performance already makes an engine for them: 10067353. What I'm talking about would be a different engine, advertised to a different buyer. Pipe dream, anyway, they aren't gonna do it just 'cuz I want them to. They may have some good reasons for the decisions they make, but as I get older, I am not so sure. More and more, lately, it seems like the entire world is run by knuckleheads. Maybe it's just me getting old. LOL!!!

Scott
I'm an engineer... I agree about the knuckleheads, not too many people think I'm old either!

Sorry, I thought you were saying to replace the 7353. I agree. A 7353 with iron heads would be an interesting solution. I'm sure someone has done a cost/benefits analysis on it... maybe someone's afraid it would kill too many ZZ4 sales? Same power for $1500 less.

I can't even imagine that it's worth the $$ to keep casting iron heads, but I'm not a manufacturing engineer.

Quick Reply: crate motor choices