C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fuel Pump Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 05:06 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Electric Fuel Pump Wiring

Hi guys, I'm getting ready to install an electric fuel pump on the Vette and am in need of some help. Where is the best place to get a 12V source for the pump? People with electric fuel pumps on their Vettes please chime in. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I"m going to ASSume you are still using a carb, so reply to that standard....

you need a oil pressure switch that will OPEN the circuit and kill the pump if engine stops for ANY reason....so the Pink wire of your ignition feeding a HEI...OR the yellow wire from your points dizzy car...can be used through this OIL pressure switch to the fuel pump.....

hope this is clear enough.....

if you have FI well the computer controls that pump relay....

Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mrvette
I"m going to ASSume you are still using a carb, so reply to that standard....

you need a oil pressure switch that will OPEN the circuit and kill the pump if engine stops for ANY reason....so the Pink wire of your ignition feeding a HEI...OR the yellow wire from your points dizzy car...can be used through this OIL pressure switch to the fuel pump.....

hope this is clear enough.....

if you have FI well the computer controls that pump relay....

Something that I didn't know. Thank you for informing me of this. Yup, it's for a carburetor setup.. So, the 12V source will be the wire coming from the distributor right?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan89
Something that I didn't know. Thank you for informing me of this. Yup, it's for a carburetor setup.. So, the 12V source will be the wire coming from the distributor right?
You need to run the fuel pump from a relay. You can run a 10-gauge wire (fused) from the battery to the relay for your main power source. The pink wire and oil pressure switch that mrvette is talking about will turn the relay on when you turn the ignition to start. The oil pressure switch will go in series with the pink wire to cut control power to the relay in the event that the engine stops, if I'm interpreting correctly.

Another thing you might want to do is wire an inertia cutoff switch in series with the pink wire. That way if there is a crash and the engine happens to be able to running the switch will kill power to the fuel pump. You can get one from any junkyard Ford Taurus. They are in the trunk behind a removable panel. I have one wired in to my car to cut power to the ecu so everything shuts off.

Rick B.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:38 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

here ya go.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:48 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Thanks guys. This information should be lots of help. The pump gets here tomorrow I just picked up a Performer RPM intake and a couple of other goodies, and I can't wait to put everything on the Vette.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

I wired in an oil pressure safety switch and ended up removing it cause during engine cranking I couldn't muster the required minimum of 7 psi.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Danish Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
I wired in an oil pressure safety switch and ended up removing it cause during engine cranking I couldn't muster the required minimum of 7 psi.
That must be what the wire going to the "NC" terminal in rosslato's schematic is for. Connect that to the starter terminal that only has power when the key is in the crank position and it will activate the pump relay while cranking or until the oil pressure switch activates.

Last edited by Danish Shark; 10-08-2011 at 02:50 AM. Reason: NO to NC
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 AM
repriebe
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But isn't the wire going to the coil a resistor wire? If I use this wire, will my ignition system get enough voltage?
THANKS!

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fuel Pump Wiring

Quick Reply: Electric Fuel Pump Wiring