C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear wheel bearing lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default rear wheel bearing lubrication

i have been searching and have found no easy way to lubricate the rear wheel bearings. it seems to be almost as easy to install a complete trailing arm. anyone have a way to do this?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There is no easy way.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,877 Likes on 915 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wombvette
There is no easy way.
Ditto. They make those lube thingy's...but by the time you get them in there, you're 75% finished with disassembly.

JIM
Old 10-06-2011, 01:19 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I can think of lots of very bad ways.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:30 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

The first set of rear bearings I replaced was in 1976... and I figured... if some grease is good, then more grease must be better. So I filled the entire bearing cavity in the spindle support to 100%. Drove it around town... worked great. But when I took it on the highway... and the bearings & grease heated up... the grease expanded and came out past the outer grease seal... and the grease oozed out all over the new SS parking brake shoes... ruined them. I had to take it all apart and repack the grease only to about 80%. Moral of the story...don't invest in those greasing tools that force grease through the spindle support from the inner to outer bearing. It just fills up the cavity to 100%. The assembly's have to be taken apart to do the job right.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:40 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom454
The first set of rear bearings I replaced was in 1976... and I figured... if some grease is good, then more grease must be better. So I filled the entire bearing cavity in the spindle support to 100%. Drove it around town... worked great. But when I took it on the highway... and the bearings & grease heated up... the grease expanded and came out past the outer grease seal... and the grease oozed out all over the new SS parking brake shoes... ruined them. I had to take it all apart and repack the grease only to about 80%. Moral of the story...don't invest in those greasing tools that force grease through the spindle support from the inner to outer bearing. It just fills up the cavity to 100%. The assembly's have to be taken apart to do the job right.
Ouch!! Would not be very happy with that...
Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

This is one of the bad ways I was thinking of. Even 80% is overkill. The bearings need to come apart every ~40K miles to be cleaned, re-greased and reassembled properly.

It's not fun being passed by your own wheel on the highway.
The following users liked this post:
lamborg1 (05-24-2017)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 AM
jb78L-82
Le Mans Master

Received 740 Likes on 617 Posts

I know that the correct way to grease the rear bearings is through disassembly but in the late 80's I did regrease them using the bearing grease tool from midamerica by removing the half shafts on either side of the differential at 40,000 miles. Have not touched them since with 65,000 miles on the bearings with zero play so far and no noises. So far so good!
Old 10-06-2011, 12:01 PM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And so did I, jb78L-82. I did mine at ~55,000 miles. But just a few pumps, not half a tube. So far, so good with 64.6K on the odo. I thought that $15 greaser tool was worth it for peace of mind alone.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:27 PM
RobbSalzmann
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Now that's what I call wisdom!

IMHO if you're in a position to regrease'm, it's only a couple more steps to replace them. Considering how cheap bearings are compared to what they actually do, I think I'd opt for new even at the 40k intervals. (It'll take me about 20 years to put that many miles on it tho)
Old 10-06-2011, 09:55 PM
63split63
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

This is IMO the a pain in the +++ job. When I did mine I had the spindles machined so the bearings are a slip fit . It makes the job easy enough to do every couple of years . KISS for me .
Bill
Old 10-06-2011, 11:30 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

if i remember correctly there are a couple special tools needed to just take them apart and then there is the adjustment for runout with shims etc just seems like alot of work.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63split63
This is IMO the a pain in the +++ job. When I did mine I had the spindles machined so the bearings are a slip fit . It makes the job easy enough to do every couple of years . KISS for me .
Bill
I wondered how long it would take for this to come up. That is on the short list of bad ways. Easy way to loose a wheel though.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by wombvette
I wondered how long it would take for this to come up. That is on the short list of bad ways. Easy way to loose a wheel though.
If some one wants me to post the the technical papers issued by GM in JUne of '63 that specifies exactly why they stopped using a slip fit on Corvette and went to a snap fit, speak up. It's an interesting read.

I can't believe how many people will drop 10K plus into an engine, not to mention exotic boo-teek oil to 'protect' it but will cheap out over wheel bearing maintenance that needs to be done at 40K mile intervals.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

i am not trying to cheap out on a repair. i remember needing specialized tools to disassemble and reassemble . the only Corvette shop in town recommends new trailing arms to deal with greasing the bearings! its either stupidity or incompetence and they wont touch my car after an answer like that.so far we don't have an answer to how just about what.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:09 AM
sstopczy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
If some one wants me to post the the technical papers issued by GM in JUne of '63 that specifies exactly why they stopped using a slip fit on Corvette and went to a snap fit, speak up. It's an interesting read.

I can't believe how many people will drop 10K plus into an engine, not to mention exotic boo-teek oil to 'protect' it but will cheap out over wheel bearing maintenance that needs to be done at 40K mile intervals.
Please do post, I am interested in reading them.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7t9l82
i am not trying to cheap out on a repair. i remember needing specialized tools to disassemble and reassemble . the only Corvette shop in town recommends new trailing arms to deal with greasing the bearings! its either stupidity or incompetence and they wont touch my car after an answer like that.so far we don't have an answer to how just about what.
The 'how' is quite clear- there is no quick and dirty way to lubricate them. Blindly pumping in more grease in on top of the old is pure Bubba. There is no method that will clean out the old grease on both bearings and replace it with new aside from complete disassembly. If your local shop is unable or unwilling to so this job, find somebody else. It's not rocket science. Are you sure your shop has not determined that your arms are not also deteriorated in other areas and are simply stopping you from throwing good money after bad?

Originally Posted by sstopczy
Please do post, I am interested in reading them.
I'll create a new post.

Get notified of new replies

To rear wheel bearing lubrication

Old 10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
6inarow
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have my AIM yet or the chassis service manual, but from the discussion it seems that the bearings must be located in the trailing arms and that the arms must be disassembled with specialized tools?? Correct?

If that is the case, how does the hobbiest/home mechanic replace or repack the bearings?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:54 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 6inarow
I don't have my AIM yet or the chassis service manual, but from the discussion it seems that the bearings must be located in the trailing arms and that the arms must be disassembled with specialized tools?? Correct?

If that is the case, how does the hobbiest/home mechanic replace or repack the bearings?
No really expensive tools are actually needed. You can get the axles out with the knocker tool that is sold through the parts outlets. You can separate and remove the bearing with a large sharpened chisel. You can set the bearings up with a large bolt and washers. You can either use feel or a cheap harbor freight dial indicator to set the clearance. You can reassemble with a flat punch and a friend to hold the axle while you seat the bearing. You don't really need a torque wrench 100# is about all you can pull anyway. So there, done with a very few cheap specialty tools.
The following users liked this post:
lamborg1 (05-24-2017)
Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
The 'how' is quite clear- there is no quick and dirty way to lubricate them. Blindly pumping in more grease in on top of the old is pure Bubba. There is no method that will clean out the old grease on both bearings and replace it with new aside from complete disassembly.
Thanks. You saved me some typing!

Quick Reply: rear wheel bearing lubrication