C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 weatherstripping install

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
dusterbd13
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1979 weatherstripping install

and for the question of the day:
how do i install the weatherstripping on the windshield pillar? there wasnt enough left of the origonal to tell how it should go. i "think" i need to pull the trim via the 3 screws, insert the rubber into it, reattach the trim via the three scews, only through the weatherstripping. right?

also, and suggestions, how tos, etc for getting it right the first time on the doors and t-tops? theres not enough left of the origonal to tell how it should go, let alone what directions it should go in.

no wonder there was standing water in this car.

michael
Old 12-05-2011, 11:45 AM
tomgallucci57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as for the windshield weatherstripping,i just pulled out all the foam,cleaned up the channel with scotch brite,pre fitted the new stripes into place a couple of times,just to get used to how they fit.then applied 3m super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive to the channel,i applied it to all the nooks and crannies to be sure it held good.you do not have to remove the three screws,there job is to hold the plate to the front windshield,,now there is a rubbery type gasket between that plate,but i did not feel mine needed replaced.so i did not have remove the three screws..just glue n tuck em in.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM
fanmanbd
Racer

When changing mine I removed the channel on the passenger side but for the divers side I decided to try it without removing the channel. The old strip came out clean and pushed in the new one with a small putty knife. Drivers side took 10 minutes as compaired to 2 hours on the passenger side. No adjustments needed!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
dusterbd13
Advanced

how did you guys deal with the metal straps at the top of the piece? seems like they are too narrow to allow the new foam into place.

so they need spread and then re-bent?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:41 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

The blow out clips at the top? Unless someone has squeezed them down on you, push the foam rubber down into the clip. It will fit in there without issue... Just take your time it will go in there.

Willcox
Old 12-06-2011, 09:26 PM
dusterbd13
Advanced

ok, so got the stripping in the blow out clips. took a while, but they worked in.

when i went to shut the doors, the window glass rubs the outer of the two clips. i know this car has been into a bit before, as im learning that there are a bunch of hack jobs inside the doors. so im assuming that someone re-adjusted the windows and tracks in this car to compensate for deteriorated weatherstripping.

the clips have been rubbing the glass for some time, as evidenced by rust stains on the glass and a very small chamfer on the edge of the glass where its been worn away.

questions:
1. its not supposed to touch, correct?
2. is there somewhere online i can get a comprehensive guide on adjusting, and the correct order to adjust, the door glass?

thanks
Michael
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Yep... the door window adjustment instructions can be found at this link, just click on supporting documentation.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/repairand...lp.php?hID=102

And yes you are correct... When the door is shut the glass may just barely edge one of the clips but it should not jamb in there. The glass should fit snugly in the groove and as you are about to learn, the pillar weatherstrip adjustment procedure is part of the side door glass adjustment.

Just a few tips to you.. go purchase two suction cups... (and a six pack for that buddy who will be holding the glass while you adjust).

And in means out in regards to the run channel bolts... If you move them in the glass goes out....

1" rule.. The door glass top should be 1" from the T-top weatherstrip when it is 1" from the pillar weatherstrip.

Again, the t-top weatherstrip adjustment will also play a part in your fit...

Good luck you are a warrior... I've worked for three ours on one door before I get what I deem a good fit... and I've had them fall in place.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM
dusterbd13
Advanced

thanks for the help.
ill be getting back at it probably friday. gotta fix the daily tomorrow night.

hopefully that is the last of my weatherstip questions, but im not holding my breath. still have to do the doors and the t-tops. both of which are missing rather large sections, have been glued on with something rsembling liquid nails, and the passengers tood no longer has either end to the lower weatherstripping.

again, thanks for all the help, willcox.
ill be calling you tomorrow to order some outer door handles. these are SHOT.

michael
Old 12-06-2011, 10:45 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Michael-

Not a problem at all... But you need to get the other weatherstrips installed before you move forward. They all play a part in the fitment of the door glass....

Have a good day,

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 weatherstripping install

Quick Reply: 1979 weatherstripping install