C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T56 bolted to a 70's LT-1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 08:40 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default T56 bolted to a 70's LT-1?

I've just made up my mind to hold off on the LSx swap for simplicity sake for now.
BUT I still want to get a 6speed to replace the 4 speed. One that if I do the LSx swap in the future I can keep the same trans. I hear the T56 is a great trans....

Looks like there's a lot of info here that I can go to for help but figured if anyone has any useful tips right off the bat that would be great.

I would like to make it as simple as possible this time around since I know almost nothing about transmissions.

So it sounds like the T56 from a 94-97 Fbody/corvette is the easiest?
I guess I'd like the one that would require the least amount of adapters/spacers/new parts.....

So from my 1 hour of research!!! it looks like
Cross member adjustments/brackets
drive shaft shortening
adapter for shift **** to get into stock position.
digital speedometer(what about tach?)
Can i keep the Zbar setup to keep things simple?
Saw some info on using a truck's master cylinder...not sure what that's about just yet.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:01 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

C4 vettes used the ZF trans, C5 uses a t56 but its a transaxle- neither will work for your app (easily)

LT1/4 T56's will bolt right up to a sbc. You can use the stock F-body flywheel if you have a 1pc rear main seal, otherwise you need to use a conversion flywheel.

I have not used the truck master for a T56 specifically, so I cannot say that it will or will not work with the factory F-body slave. But, I will say that that the bore size of the truck master is 11/16" and I used a 3/4" bore Tilton master on another car with an LT1 T56 with success. Might be close enough.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:06 PM
82Vette'ster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
....One that if I do the LSx swap in the future I can keep the same trans. ....
You don't want the 93-97 F-bode T-56 then. You want the next series, the ones that came with the LSx engines.

The input shaft on the 93-97 will be too short when you try to use it with an LSx. That short shaft also makes putting together the clutch a bit more of a challenge. You can't just use the standard bell housing and fork setup. The F-body (93-97) used a pull type clutch that was more compact. There are some after market bell housings and pilot extensions that will work, but if you want an LSx in the future, research how to make that one work.

I have an 95 F-body T56 I will be putting in my 82 some time in the future. It will be going behind the 400 I have on the stand.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:33 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by 82Vette'ster
You don't want the 93-97 F-bode T-56 then. You want the next series, the ones that came with the LSx engines.

The input shaft on the 93-97 will be too short when you try to use it with an LSx. That short shaft also makes putting together the clutch a bit more of a challenge. You can't just use the standard bell housing and fork setup. The F-body (93-97) used a pull type clutch that was more compact. There are some after market bell housings and pilot extensions that will work, but if you want an LSx in the future, research how to make that one work.

I have an 95 F-body T56 I will be putting in my 82 some time in the future. It will be going behind the 400 I have on the stand.
That's good to know. The LSx swap will eventually happen, just not yet, but I should plan for it and if it costs me a bit more now hopefully it'll save time/money later on.

New bell housing and shaft doesn't sound too bad.
All C5 T56's rear mount? So I'm still looking for an F-body?
Anyone know the numbers to look for off hand to know I'm getting what I need?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:33 PM
vette427-sbc
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Yeah, any C5 trans would be no good for you...
The newer LS T56 will not bolt up to your sbc though. You will need either an adapter plate, or a conversion bellhousing. Both options can use the stock Z-bar setup.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:02 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by vette427-sbc
Yeah, any C5 trans would be no good for you...
The newer LS T56 will not bolt up to your sbc though. You will need either an adapter plate, or a conversion bellhousing. Both options can use the stock Z-bar setup.
So it looks like in 98 "TREMEC" took over building the T56's so I'm guessing that's the style I'll need...as long as it's not the C5 rear mount versions...
Old 12-10-2011, 11:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You can use the LT1 for now just get the different bellhousing if you swap or put a different input shaft in it
Had one for yrs love it.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:47 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
You can use the LT1 for now just get the different bellhousing if you swap or put a different input shaft in it
Had one for yrs love it.
with the LT1 T56's it sounds like I can't use my Z bar setup?

Or do they both require the hydraulic master clutch setup?

That part and the cross member modifications are what I need to read up on some more I guess.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

I had an 06 GTO T56 bolted up to my Gen 1 383 for 2 years. I am now building up an LS3 but I can give you the details on the newer T56 to Gen1 SB. I used the Ls bellhousing and yes you do need an adapter which I still have but it is just a spacer. I believe it is .400 thick. Took a lot of searching and measuring before I figured this all out. You can also use the Ls style TO bearing which if yo ueventually go to Ls power you will want to do. This setup worked great and I highly recomend it. I have a few pictures and can give you some more details if yo uwant. The GTO T56 have the better transmission and has the newer components.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

LOL. What a crazy roller coaster!

Ebay offer was just accepted I put in last night and forgot about.

02 LS1/T56 with 60k miles for $4k+tax
It's about an hour drive to go pick it up.

So I guess I'm back on the excessively hard job of the LS swap.
OR
I suppose I could steal the trans since it is the one we're talking about here and still do just the trans swap. But I think I might as well go big or go home...as the LSx swap was what I wanted all along. It'll just take a lot more work.

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 12-11-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:56 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

i used the Fbody slave. I think Keisler may make a bellhousing/clutch setup that still uses the manual pedal assy.

Do the hydraulic clutch you wont go back
Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Go the LS swap and keep the hyd clutch system. So much smoother you will not regret it. Yea it is more work but what the he$$. Its only money and time.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:15 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=Gordonm;1579445337Its only money and time.[/QUOTE]

These words should be chisled into every C3 owners tombstone.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordonm
Go the LS swap and keep the hyd clutch system. So much smoother you will not regret it. Yea it is more work but what the he$$. Its only money and time.
Everyone keeps telling me do it while I'm young and have the time/money....
Granted they're all married or divorced with kids...

But knowledge is mostly what I'm worried about.

I'm already in over my head many times over with the restoration but especially so with taking on the swap.

I do want the hydraulic clutch since I'm guessing the Zbar will make header buying a headache. And I'm still waiting on someone to make LS1 conversion side pipes...
Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Do it all now. Take it from experience. You will be driving down the road going I should have done it. Even if it takes a little longer or means waiting for the budget to catch up do it. Dont worry about the knowledge. It has all been done and here will help you. Also LS1 tech has been some help to me.

Keep searching. I think i came up somewhere that someone was making sidepipe headers for the Ls swaps. I could be wrong but I think I did read it somewhere.

Last edited by Gordonm; 12-12-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:04 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Dont worry about knowledge its here..Jeff @ Keisler (hes a supporting member here) is real good with this too.

Knew NOTHING of doing this when I did mine, was back in the late 90s and noone I knew had done it. Everyone said it couldnt work, no computer to research things with. 6 mos later I was driving it.

Crossmember guys can help you with, the bracket for the slave sure someone here has a source. Rest is just simple bolts nuts etc. You can get a speedo/reverse light kit from Keisler, etc. Just ask and youll get it done.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:45 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
LOL. What a crazy roller coaster!

Ebay offer was just accepted I put in last night and forgot about.

You've got to be kidding?
Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by 69 Chevy
You've got to be kidding?
Nope!

I must have been looking and making offers for 2 months now and had lost hope.

Put in an offer of 4k that got instant rejection. Figured 4.5k isn't bad for an 02 with pretty low miles and that he would never accept it anyway...wrong

Right after that decided maybe finding and swapping just the t56 would be best...and started this thread and started researching it and got caught up in that and forgot about the counter bid altogether.

Paying for it tomorrow, picking it up Friday!

Get notified of new replies

To T56 bolted to a 70's LT-1?

Quick Reply: T56 bolted to a 70's LT-1?