C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Functional Fog Lights or Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Functional Fog Lights or Running Lights

I have an '81. I was trying to figure if there is any room to add or install some sort of Fog lights or Running lights. I'm just try to put more "light" on the road in the immediate front area. The standard Headlights are fine for distance, however I just didn't know if anyone has expanded the lumination prospects. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone. I have learned a lot on this forum.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins
I have an '81. I was trying to figure if there is any room to add or install some sort of Fog lights or Running lights. I'm just try to put more "light" on the road in the immediate front area. The standard Headlights are fine for distance, however I just didn't know if anyone has expanded the lumination prospects. Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone. I have learned a lot on this forum.
You can install daytime running lights (DRLs) with an electronic module kit (and #2357 bulbs). These give you much more frontal illumination to oncoming traffic. The re-wiring will take about three hours and only involve splicing into the front parking lamp harness extensions, not the wiring harness per se.

Mine are controlled by an LED toggle switch under the dash. They are ignition-switched at the IGN terminal on the fuse box.

My 1979 was set up with Hella 1500s behind the grilles. But with your year that will not work as your grille slats are slanted and the lights will not shine through.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-23-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by paul 74
You can install daytime running lights (DRLs) with an electronic module kit (and #2357 bulbs). These give you much more frontal illumination to oncoming traffic. The re-wiring will take about three hours and only involve splicing into the front parking lamp harness extensions, not the wiring harness per se.

Mine are controlled by an LED toggle switch under the dash. They are ignition-switched at the IGN terminal on the fuse box.

My 1979 was set up with Hella 1500s behind the grilles. But with your year that will not work as your grille slats are slanted and the lights will not shine through.

Thanks, Paul. So if I'm following you correctly, you have the switch to turn the lights on. Are your turn signals able to work too with the lights on? I would think yes since there are two bulbs? Cars look great. That is what I was thinking of. I didn't know there was a lot of difference in the 79 & 81 grill. I will be checking mine out in the morning for sure. Thanks for the reply Paul.

Mark
Old 12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
couperdecar
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74

Is there actually a noticeable difference in the light the car throws through the turn signals? What size bulbs are you running?
Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Hawkins
Thanks, Paul. So if I'm following you correctly, you have the switch to turn the lights on. Are your turn signals able to work too with the lights on? I would think yes since there are two bulbs? Cars look great. That is what I was thinking of. I didn't know there was a lot of difference in the 79 & 81 grill. I will be checking mine out in the morning for sure. Thanks for the reply Paul.

Mark
Mark,

I can't link to a non-sponsoring vendor here but Google WebElectric and check DRL-1. The signals work normally in sync mode. In fact perfectly. The toggle switch is my mod. In the absence of it things are just a normal ignition-switched function: always on. I just wanted an on/off option with the toggle. It does require wiring back from the front to the fuse box but not a major issue.

Here is the DRL control module. (Excuse my Goop.) It looks a little complicated but really it is not. There are not two bulbs. The system operates on the completely stock parking lamps: on the bright (turn signal filaments) of the normal #1157 bulbs. I chose to go a little brighter with #2357 bulbs

Here is the wiring diagram. I used mostly soldered connections, with shrink wrap, but wimped out a bit on several scotch-lock ones. Just to reiterate you are working on your front lamp harness extensions not the harness itself. No major injuries incurred if you foul up. I really like this mod. It adds a major driving safety factor to my car. Since I originally posted on this I have had some negative comments but it does much more good than harm. And you are using factory electrical demands: no relays or whatever.

Up to 1979 the grille slats were completely horizontal. With the the 1980- they were slanted. Hence my comment.

If you wish to go with fog lamps you have to find a place to hang them. This mod preserves the original look.

Last edited by Paul L; 12-23-2011 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:15 AM
Mark Hawkins
Instructor

Thanks again Paul for the diagram.

Mark
Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Installed these lights about a week ago
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM
1970 350
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys this is my first post on the CF, I have a 1970 convertible, and I am looking to mount two driving lights in place of my license plate. Any recommendations on a power source to tap into. Or do I have to go all the way back to the battery? I would really like the switch to be operated on the ignition.

Get notified of new replies

To Functional Fog Lights or Running Lights

Quick Reply: Functional Fog Lights or Running Lights