C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c in a box...now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2002, 09:32 PM
razz1980
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a/c in a box...now what ?

i bought an a/c unit from some guy on the mailand months ago..figured for for the price it was a good deal..bye now i gave up on the deal ,just wrote it off..voila,3 months later it arrives to my suprise..came 2 boxes with the condenser,all brackets,every thing ecxept for a compresser that i already got from someone else..so what now? would it be better to bring this all in and have it put on and charged up by an a/c proffesional..what would they charge? now i like to do everything on my vette myself but not really familiar with a/c units..or should i try to put it together and then bring in to get charged? anyone been in this postion before,and what did u do..thanx all ..damm i have too many projects at once :crazy: :crazy:

[Modified by razz1980, 1:33 AM 5/10/2002]
Old 05-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: a/c in a box...now what ? (razz1980)

razz, did it originally have air? If it did, that helps a bunch! I'll assume it did, and your just missing the external (engine) stuff. The main thing is it has to be CLEAN (inside)! So flush out the condenser, evaporater and hoses and then cap them untill your ready to install. I use denatured alcohol and blow them dry (using filtered, dry, low pressure air). Buy a new reciever/dryer/accumulator. The expansion valve is kind of a crap shoot. It's the heart of the system and a clean one will last for ever, but if in doubt change it. Don't try and service it. Thats it. Put it together and get it charged, either with R-12 or R134A. I avoid the other refrigerants, but others have had success with them. Good luck and IM me if you want.

Hans
Old 05-09-2002, 10:26 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I'm in the same position, and am wondering the same thing. My Corvette guy will do it for about $350. Not bad. This includes the recharge/switchover to the new stuff. But then, I look at what's involved, and I don't think it's really that tough (famous last words).

Good luck with yours.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:24 PM
razz1980
Racer

Default Re: a/c in a box...now what ? (Wrencher)

yes this is an original a/c car..all 1980 came equipt with a/c standard equipt..i replaced all the interior a/c controllers ect. and its all working,fan,ect. except the heater which is disconnected for no use for it here in hawaii..can the a/c unit be hooked-up without the heater working :confused: i think so huh?? do i have to take out the radiator to bolt on the condensser? if anyone has the shop manual with these pages i would love a copy..thanx
Old 05-09-2002, 11:35 PM
ykp53
Racer

i'm have just finished puting all of my a.c. stuff in. it was not that hard. i had some problems with brackets (i have a big block) and the vir. (dont worry you dont have this). the only thinkg i am lacking is both on the compressor and the pressure swith there seems to be an electrical connection, but i cant seem to find what gets plugged in to them. i worked a little on it each evening after i got off of work and it took about 4 days. good luck. let us know how it goes.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:39 PM
razz1980
Racer

Default Re: a/c in a box...now what ? (ykp53)

an a/c guy showed me the wires ur looking for..they come from the firewall drivers side ,across the firewall..should be a small plug..i dont know if urs would be the same but i can take a pic for u if u think it will help..let me know...
Old 05-13-2002, 11:20 PM
ykp53
Racer

i would really appreciate that.
thanks

Get notified of new replies

To a/c in a box...now what ?

Quick Reply: a/c in a box...now what ?