C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nose alignment

Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Johan74
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Nose alignment

Hi all,

I have installed my body (69 conv) on a replacement frame and the body sits good on all 8 mounts, with a few shims on some.

In the front, however, I have a good 2 in between the radiator support and the crossmember, and that is when the nose is hanging down, so I probably need to raise the crossmember even more than 2 inches.
(At first I thought I had forgot some part that was supposed to be between...)
Everything on the body looks ok, so I think (and hope) that the problem is the front crossmember being too low.

The frame extensions were installed before the body, and I guess they have a lot of play in them. But - is there some reference I should use in the front, like how high the rad support bottom should be compared to some point on the frame? Or any body part in reference to the frame?
My frame extensions are also new, so the frame, extensions and body have never met before.
I have not unbolted the rad support from the body, but I understand it can also be adjusted some?

Both the frame and the new extensions are supposed to be 69 or 70.(but who knows for sure...)

/Johan
Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
Johan74
Racer

Anyone?

What reference did the factory use, wasn't the radiator installed before the body?

Should I just unbolt the frame horn extensions, bolt the crossmember to the radiator support, jack up an inch to release the load on the body and reattach the extensions at whatever height they are?
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The reference point for the radiator support is the fan to fan shroud clearance according to the Ecklers book I have. The fan should be centered in the shroud as a starting point. You made need to tweak things from there to get everything lined up the way you want.

There is is a lot of adjustment in the front cross member. Remember to also fit the front bumper brackets before you lock it down for good.

Jim

Originally Posted by Johan74
Anyone?

What reference did the factory use, wasn't the radiator installed before the body?

Should I just unbolt the frame horn extensions, bolt the crossmember to the radiator support, jack up an inch to release the load on the body and reattach the extensions at whatever height they are?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Steve2147
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind that you can lower the frt by removing shims from the 1 and 2 spot and adding them to the 3 and 4. This will keep it square. Or, if you have more than one shim all around on 1 thru 4 remove an equal amount from all.

Steve g
Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Johan74
Racer

Thanks for the info. I have no shims on #2 left and right, and just two on one side on #3, but a lot on #4 left and right, so I think it would take a lot of shims to tilt the body forward slightly.

I will try to move the crossmember as much as I can first.

/Johan
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 PM
ncvettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread is getting some age, but how did everything go?
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Johan74
Racer

Well... got it all together, but I think I need to raise the nose some more because there seems to be stress and cracking at the top area where the front fender meets the door, or more accurate where the top of the front clip is fastened (i.e below the windshield post.) You see it when the door is opened.

I have basically no washers at #2 and #3 on both sides, but a good pack of 5-6 washers at both #4, so I don't think tilting the entire body forward is an option.

Get notified of new replies

To Nose alignment

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nose alignment