C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hy-PerLube Oil Additive ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:53 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hy-PerLube Oil Additive ?

I read several threads on the forum about the lack of Zinc protection in our modern oils. Realizing I need this protection, and unable to find the proper oils conveniently, I began looking for oil additives. I found Hy-PerLube Oil Additive (p/n HPZ212) at my local O'Reilly Auto Parts store. It claims to protect flat tappet engines twice as good as high ZDDP motor oils even though it contains no zinc or phosphate. It is an exclusive Polymer Ester formula. It claims to be better then high zinc oil or zinc additives. It is expensive. I paid $18. for a 12 oz. bottle good for one oil change.

Does anyone have any experience with this additive? Can I trust it? Are their any less expensive additives that are as good?
Old 02-05-2012, 06:03 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Junk
Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
rainmaninwa
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mean72:

I just use ZDDP Plus zinc additive. Sells for about $9 a bottle at Eastwood.com. Might as well get the real thing. NO wondering if you've got the right oil with the right amount of the right additives, cause you add it in yourself....

There is a listing of flat tappet friendly lubricants elsewhere on the forum as well.

http://www.eastwood.com/zddp-oil-additive.html
The following users liked this post:
Bill Riley (01-16-2019)
Old 02-05-2012, 07:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MEAN72
and unable to find the proper oils conveniently,
Huh? No Walmart?
Old 02-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with "63mako", as oils are a finely engineered packages, and just dumping more stuff in, who knows what you're ending up with. Best getting proper application oil from the beginning, not second guessing the designers.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Huh? No Walmart?
I hesitate to post these days. But I cannot resist. Castrol GTX 10W-30 at Canadian Tire will do the job. Has done it for me for >25 years. I do add ZZDP now but I have no idea if it works. It does no harm. But my 1974 with 98,000 miles still humms.

I am tempted to list the Archive threads on oil but I don't have six hours.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM
tnovot
Racer

It claims to be better than high zinc oil or zinc additives. It is expensive. I paid $18. for a 12 oz. bottle good for one oil change.

Does anyone have any experience with this additive? Can I trust it? Are their any less expensive additives that are as good?
This Forum is full of questions about materials and products that were purchased prior to doing adequate research. Too bad you didn't ask this question BEFORE you bought it.
Terry
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Thanks for the input. I have read many of the oil threads on the forum and elsewhere. My problem was I could not find any of the acceptable products in my local stores. Yes, I did look at Walmart but they only had current SM oils and no additives that claimed to add ZDDP. I hate to put my credit card on the internet if I can avoid it so I ignored mail order.

Thanks again.

The Hy-PerLube web site is:

http://www.hyperlube.com/c3/Zinc-Rep...ditive-c7.html

They claim Independent lab tests prove it protects better than zinc.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...ppet-oils.html

Originally Posted by From the oil sticky
Summary: If you use a flat-tappet cam run an oil from this list or another oil you're sure has at least 1000 ppm ZDDP. No additives (other than for break-in), no diesel oils, no racing oils and no miracle cures - just the right oil.
I had to chuckle on the web site:

"Hy-per Lube Oil Supplement was originally formulated by Harold Hilton in the early 1950's. Mr. Hilton fabricated high quality valves for a wide variety of industries, including the paper and pulp, electrical power generation, petrochemical and marine. The enormous amount of heat and friction generated by the worm gears within the valves was causing premature wear and failure. Finding no commercially available lubricant that was suitable, Mr. Hilton set out to develop a lubricant that met his needs."

...because of course, anything that lubricates worm gears just naturally works as a motor oil suppliment.

It's a dessert topping - AND a floor wax!

Last edited by billla; 02-06-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive contains an exclusive Polymer Ester formula which when added to any motor oil, including the new SM rated oils, will provide up to TWICE the EP wear protection as high content ZDDP motor oils and is also safe for use in all engines even those with catalytic converters.

POA and esters are Group IV and Group V synthetic base stocks. Synthetic oils have 5 to 10 times the film strength of conventional oils. Group 5 esters are typicaly used as additives in conventional oil. The added protection is just an increase in film strength. Same results can be had from using a true synthetic such as Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple. Many of these also have correct ZDDP levels for flat tappet cams. A stock flat tappet cam has 200,000 PSI of pressure at the lobe lifter interface. ZDDP is the only extreme pressure additive that is known to protect this critical high pressure sliding motion that is not reproduced anywhere else in your engine.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I read several threads on the forum about the lack of Zinc protection in our modern oils.
Modern oil that doesn't meet modern specs:
AMSOIL Z-ROD 10w30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Product Code ZRTQT)
(zinc – 1440 ppm, phosphorus 1320 ppm)

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
twinpack
Drifting

Received 349 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Hy-Per Lube Zinc Replacement Additive contains an exclusive Polymer Ester formula which when added to any motor oil, including the new SM rated oils, will provide up to TWICE the EP wear protection as high content ZDDP motor oils and is also safe for use in all engines even those with catalytic converters.

POA and esters are Group IV and Group V synthetic base stocks. Synthetic oils have 5 to 10 times the film strength of conventional oils. Group 5 esters are typicaly used as additives in conventional oil. The added protection is just an increase in film strength. Same results can be had from using a true synthetic such as Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple. Many of these also have correct ZDDP levels for flat tappet cams. A stock flat tappet cam has 200,000 PSI of pressure at the lobe lifter interface. ZDDP is the only extreme pressure additive that is known to protect this critical high pressure sliding motion that is not reproduced anywhere else in your engine.
Well said
Old 02-07-2012, 11:25 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MEAN72, there's no good reason to use that expensive snake oil stuff in your '72 engine...it is for cars with catalytic converters.

Re: I hate to put my credit card on the internet if I can avoid it so I ignored mail order.

Most reputable web sites use 128 bit encryption to protect your personal info.

What are "Secure Web Sites" all about?
Web browsers can operate in "normal" mode and in "secure" mode. You can tell which mode your browser is in by looking at the toolbar at the bottom of the browser window. If you see a broken key, or an open padlock, you are in normal mode. If the key is whole, or the padlock is closed, you are in "secure" mode. When you surf the Net in "normal" mode, all of the information you type into your browser and all the information the Web site sends to you are visible to eavesdroppers. When your browser is in "secure" mode it encrypts all the information between itself and the server. Encrypted information looks like meaningless garbage to eavesdroppers, so your personal information is secure.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:26 AM
Bill Riley
5th Gear

I've used it in a few cars over the years. All engines seem to run better with the Hyperlube Zinc Replacement. With that said, I always use an oil that meets or exceeds the requirement of the engine. I add a small amount of Zinc Replacement for an extra level of protection. I add 3 or 4 ounces. If you need the whole bottle, you are probably using the wrong oil in the first place, or you may have extreme tension valve springs, in which case you do need the whole bottle.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 AM
Bill Riley
5th Gear

Default Finely engineered ?

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
Agree with "63mako", as oils are a finely engineered packages, and just dumping more stuff in, who knows what you're ending up with. Best getting proper application oil from the beginning, not second guessing the designers.
If you go that route, contact someone who is knowledgeable and who works at Chevrolet. They should give you minimum required Zinc levels and recommend at least two brands of motor oil.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:54 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Why would an old station wagon motor need a special racing oil anyways?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:47 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Maybe Hyperlube has improved since this thread started 6 years ago! I think not. Lots of higher zddp oils easily available even at Walmart. No need whatsoever for additives.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

All engine oils are formulated with additive packages. You're using an additive package. We bemoan the loss of that additive package which had high zinc and phosphorous.

Where do they originate? Quite likely from longtime world leading supplier to refiners-marketers

https://www.lubrizol.com/Lubricant-a...ar-Engine-Oils
Old 01-16-2019, 12:20 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

High zinc oils are readily available. Again, no need for any additives.

Get notified of new replies

To Hy-PerLube Oil Additive ?

Quick Reply: Hy-PerLube Oil Additive ?