C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 tach not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
mpapst
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 tach not working

Last year I had my computer taken out of my 82 and changed over to a carb.
The distributor is HEI w/vacuum advance. Car runs great just can't get the tach to work. As I am new to the forum, forgive me if I'm asking a question thats been gone over in the past.

Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 11:15 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

Lots of possibilities but here are a few things to check. The tach is connected to the HEI with a brown (I think) connector next to the large red connector. The tach connector goes through a capacitor bolted to the intake manifold at the back near the distributor. Make sure all the connections are intact.

The tach is a solid state device and the board often goes bad. The solution of course is to replace the board. They are available from many Corvette suppliers.

Of course, there is also the possibility of a bad connection at any number of locations.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:57 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Most of the time you can get an immediate answer by going to the 1st page of the tech section and use the "search this forum". Type in "tachometer" in your case and you can read how others solved the problem.

For instance: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...pair-help.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 tach not working

Quick Reply: 1982 tach not working