C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem seals

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 09:51 PM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve stem seals

Which stem seals do I need to get for my 81 so as not to have to machine the heads?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:16 PM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Valve stem seals (Armstrong)

There are many choices: o-rings, umbrellas, and Crane makes a positive lock style seal that doesn't require machining.
The think the final ones are the best but have a set of umbrellas installed because I wanted to get my heads reassembled to get my engine back together.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:28 PM
Johns vette
Advanced

Default Re: Valve stem seals (MikeC)

Just ordered a set of viton seals. Better than umbella seals,those are the best to get without machining the heads. Have heard very good comments about them on this forum. $14.95 plus s+h. Will give phone # and part # if interested. John
Old 05-14-2002, 05:44 AM
Armstrong
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Valve stem seals (Johns vette)

Yep I'm interested John. Shoot me the #'s and Thanx
Old 05-14-2002, 05:53 AM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definatly get positive locking seals. The ones that lock down over the guide. Might be a good idea to check the outside diameter of all your guides before ordering. If anyone has changed guides in the past then the O.D. could have changed. I had to buy two sets for one particular engine of mine because someone had replaced the exhaust valve guides with ones that were different diameter than stock. I suppose if they've never been changed then just order for your specific aplication. Nevertheless its a good idea to make sure what you have before ordering. There are a # of different sizes out there in use.
Old 05-14-2002, 08:17 AM
Johns vette
Advanced

Default Re: Valve stem seals (Jvette73)

Jvette73 is correct on the getting right size. Got mine from Competition Products. Can call their tech line and make sure you are getting the correct size.Tech line #1-920-233-1355. I have s/r world tourqer II heads which take the 11/32 size. Part #5325. Good Luck! John :D
Old 05-14-2002, 03:31 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get positive lock seals. I got felpro seals from Auto Zone and they looked exactly like the seals I removed, which I believe to be original seals, but cannot be certain. The exhaust seals are different from the intake seals. Exhaust are kind of like a one piece plastic/teflon coated type seal, while the intake seals are the positive seal with the rubber clamped on with steel snap rings.

These seals were exactly same as I removed, and installed on my 624 heads without any problem what so ever. In addition, to these seals, you also install the small O-ring type seal on the valve stem.

These positive seals appear to be much better / and perhaps longer lasting than the black rubber umbrella seals.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve stem seals

Quick Reply: Valve stem seals