C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[LS Swap] Fuel system questions!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default [LS Swap] Fuel system questions!!!!!!!!

Couple of quick questions on what I think will be one of the easier mods needed for my '02 LS1 swap.

I want to do the in tank pump from the LS1 cars. Looks like Vetteworks is a good site for stuff like this.

Plan on the used pump.
the round mounting kit:
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...roducts_id=178

They also sell this: EFI to AN fuel line kit but it's $150+
http://www.vetteworksonline.com/cata...roducts_id=216
Seems high..all it does is route a loop in the system and adds an area to tie in the fuel line?

The AN fittings/Russel stuff confuses the crap out of me. Don't want to be buying $15 fittings I won't need or missing ones I do...
Any help in this area would be awesome. I have a brand new hardline so didn't know if I should try to reuse this for the LS or start over with russel lines...
Need it for the fuel system as well as water pump and possibly power steering lines?

With this setup do I still need the corvette regulator mounted somewhere?

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 02-12-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Do not use Russel braided lines for the fuel lines. They smell like gas. Use as much of the hard line as possible and connect with the correct fittings. I am done with braided line. Use the Push Lok or Twist lok lines, can't remember right now which ones. The braided lines are tougher to make up and they do leak fuel vapors. Not all do but I have heard and experienced this from many. Mine included. I threw away about 150 dollars worth of the stuff because my garage smelled so bad wit hit.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:12 AM
riggs 74
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure about buying a used pump as I read from the supplier from the link you posted.
There is another forum member I seen in a recent post that is running this system in their finish LS swap, this might help, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579849530-post60.html

Here is the setup I am running, http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1579063926-post19.html

Sorry to post so short but I need to get to work I'll check back latter.

Riggs
Old 02-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The f body pump does not need a corvette fuel filter/regulator.
It will require a high pressure filter before the injectors that will need the quick disconnect.
If you want reliable plumbing that's cheap and doesnt smell, consider the OEM nylon fittings and lines. I did a combo of hardline and Stainless flex with AN fittings. I could have used the same plastic fittings on every car on the road today for about 1/3rd the price.
One source.
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/m-11...aspx?pagenum=3
Old 02-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Evershark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Vetteworks pump and AN fittings and have had no problems. Here are a couple of pics.
I installed the pump next to the orig sender with 6AN fittings and braided lines. The "T" line is a recirc back to the tank. Hard line conn to outlet.
The AN fittings and braided line works well if made up correctly. There are instruction videos and other online instructions to help you.

Name:  fuelpump-1.jpg
Views: 10753
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  fuelpumplines.jpg
Views: 13137
Size:  79.1 KB
Old 02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Okay so obviously a few are using the OEM hardline for the majority of the system which is nice since mine is nice and new.

So which adapter do I need to be using to hook up to the hardline.

And is it the same one that hooks up to the two parts of the fuel pump?

or

Or it looks like Evershark used something different...

I was just thinking $150 for the little loop system Vetteworks makes doesn't look that hard to do myself...
-You can cut the hose to any length you want and the end you put on it tightens it right? Since i'll obviously need some hoses cut to certain lengths...

Last edited by PUNISHER VETTE; 02-13-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

OK I dont want to be a total a$$, but before you put together a fuel system, do you know the difference between seamless and non-seamless hardline, single and double flair, and JIC vs SAE?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:22 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Garys 68
OK I dont want to be a total a$$, but before you put together a fuel system, do you know the difference between seamless and non-seamless hardline, single and double flair, and JIC vs SAE?
Nope! But now I have more I need to look into and research.

You saying I can't use my OEM hardline
I know it's probably not meant for high pressure but from what i've seen people were using rubber hose and hose clamps and it still worked...
Old 02-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Okay so obviously a few are using the OEM hardline for the majority of the system which is nice since mine is nice and new.

So which adapter do I need to be using to hook up to the hardline.

And is it the same one that hooks up to the two parts of the fuel pump?

or

Or it looks like Evershark used something different...

I was just thinking $150 for the little loop system Vetteworks makes doesn't look that hard to do myself...
-You can cut the hose to any length you want and the end you put on it tightens it right? Since i'll obviously need some hoses cut to certain lengths...
No No not these fittings. These are the old style ones and have blown off spewing fuel everywhere. They have redesigned them. Let me see if I can find the link. I used the new ones.

Here are the new ones. The older style ones are the ones on the bottom. The new ones are threaded so the ywill not come off. There have been many posts on LS1 Tech about this.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...fuel-efi.shtml

Last edited by Gordonm; 02-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Originally Posted by Gordonm
No No not these fittings. These are the old style ones and have blown off spewing fuel everywhere. They have redesigned them. Let me see if I can find the link. I used the new ones.

Here are the new ones. The older style ones are the ones on the bottom. The new ones are threaded so the ywill not come off. There have been many posts on LS1 Tech about this.

http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...fuel-efi.shtml
So the new ones screw on to not only the two connections on the LS1 fuel pump but can also screw on to the OEM harline to make a connection there?

Or used just for the pump?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:04 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

I used those fittings on the fuel pump regulator. Anything with that barb that you have pictured works with this fitting. The "cap" has to have something to grab so it will not work on a smooth line. I used different fittings for that.

Here is what I have used on many builds. It says for aluminum lines but I have used it on steel and Stainless steel with good results.
http://www.russellperformance.com/mc...adapters.shtml

Here is my fuel filter/regulator setup

Name:  100_2873.jpg
Views: 6986
Size:  132.6 KB

Last edited by Gordonm; 02-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Gordonm....you're not that far from me.
You might as well just come teach me...it'll take you much less time and save you thousands of questions to come lol...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:59 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Can I use these on the water pump instead of hose barbs brass fittings?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-660903/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-660883/

I think they're the right sizes.
Then use their rubber hose for the hot coolant?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Originally Posted by PUNISHER VETTE
Can I use these on the water pump instead of hose barbs brass fittings?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-660903/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-660883/

I think they're the right sizes.
Then use their rubber hose for the hot coolant?
If they are the correct size and you have the clearance they should fit. I do travel out your way quite often on business.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:42 PM
jordan89
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am planning an LS swap in my '74 Vette. I don't have the engine and tranny yet, but I am looking. I'm looking for an LS1 and T56. While I do that I have gone and gathered up the fuel system for the swap. I went with the 99+ corvette fuel filter/regulator combo, and the Walbro 255 inline fuel pump. I took Gordon's advice and went with the "twist lok hose" and new hardline. I'll gather up the part#'s and post them here in a few minutes, but my sender is on the bottom. I don't think the sendor will be a problem though.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
Evershark
Instructor

I did use the Russell push-on fitting(only) at the pump since that's what it is designed for. However, I also used the 37deg flare on the hard line conn. So far, so good...
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Okay. Well I got NPT taps, plugs and new fittings for the water pump on the way. Along with 10an and 12 an hose to keep the water pump functional...

About to order a bunch of 6an fittings to make the fuel pump loop and attachment to the hardline.

I'm going to have a question when I get home from work though. My motor is a 2002 LS1 and I thought they only had 1 fuel line(no return) yet when I look at the engine there are two fuel hoses connected to each other exiting over to the driver side...

I'm wondering do I just eliminate the extra hose, and where should I route the new fuel hose on the passenger side to the engine? I have a feeling it isn't a 6an fitting to hook up to the engine so before I order I better get that solved too.

Get notified of new replies

To [LS Swap] Fuel system questions!!!!!!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:37 AM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

I think only the 98 LS1s and truck motors had return lines.
If you're running a returnless pump or vette filter/regulator, you'll need a returnless rail.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Evershark
Instructor

'98-99 vettes w/LS1 had dual fuel lines. Some like the circulation because the fuel doesn't "sit" too long and heat up as with a single line and pump bypass. Different fuel rail configurations/mods, kits, etc. available from Street & Performance. They are a good source for swap parts and very helpful on any LSX swap questions. Some of their stuff is expensive but they'll exchange parts or stand behind any "fitting" issues, etc.
www.hotrodlane.cc
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Here's a photo of why I am a little confused.

Two hoses that seem like they're for fuel.

One goes into the rail, the other into a black device...and eventually in behind the throttle body?
Name:  IMG_0023.jpg
Views: 7251
Size:  133.5 KB

For those using the OEM hardline what's your method for crossing the motor from the passenger side to the driver side?

Quick Reply: [LS Swap] Fuel system questions!!!!!!!!