C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is next? My engine blew tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 PM
ex9850
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is next? My engine blew tonight.

I was driving my vette with the recently built 383. The car had about 200 miles on the new engine. Just after driving about 83 miles the engine blew. A bang then lots of white smoke. I also could tell I was leaving a trail of motor oil down the highway. It smelled as thou something was burning but when I looked I found no fire. Guess it will be a good crate engine next (want 460 to 520 HP) time. I am sort of discourage with engine builders, I figure I can find a shop that can remove and install an engine for me. May end up with some good parts to sell (assuming something survived).
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that! That's stunning news if I'm thinking of the right person. Didn't you pay gobs of money for a forged motor that appeared not to be forged? If so I really feel for you. I don't know if you have any recourse but whatever the case hang in there and shop carefully for your next one.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I can understand after the experience you detailed here wanting a crate

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...e-builder.html
Old 02-16-2012, 11:13 PM
69VetteFla
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That really sucks. I have to believe that with only 200 miles on the engine the shop should do the right thing and fix whatever the problem was. Have to say that I would be spitting fire from my mouth if I were you and wish I could be as calm as it seems you are being when I get screwed. Hope it all works out for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 PM
DRIVESHAFT
Drifting

Wow, that stinks. You've been snakebit from the start on that engine.
Are you even going to try to get the builder to warranty it?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:51 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Take a look at this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12498772/

If you have the means, it looks like a good deal.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree the shop should help out on this, as sounds like they didn't tighten all the rod bolts, and one went through the block. Have a friend who's new SB build tore up bearings, twice. While the shop came clean on this, he still spent lots of labor removing/replacing things, and know because he was borrowing my stuff to do it. Another friend took delivery of a new Harley/Davidson, and the engine froze up on the way home, so happens from the factory too. Insisted on a new replacement bike, but would only do an engine rebuild. He said screw it, got his money back, and bought a Kawasaki Vulcan. I assemble my own engines, taking my time, checking everything.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

http://www.ultrastreet.net/engines/4...treet.asp#nogo
Forged bottom end
Hydraulic roller
550 Ft Lbs @ 4200 RPM
525 HP @ 5600 RPM
No need to pull over 6000 RPM
Less $ Than the last one.
Great reputation

Last edited by 63mako; 02-17-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:44 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Living that one right now.
Last motor decided I didnt want to build them anymore. Got ahold of some crap pushrods all folded up first time I stood on it pumped a lot of garbage though the motor.
Took a yr to redo it and stroke it. At 35 mi I have a motor full of bronze thats a pain to get flushed out. Guy stuck a cheap chinese bronze gear in the dist and didnt set the depth right. May have to replace cam min.
Could have worn out everything else in there, too.
Never again (pay to have it done).
Sometimes its just a minor detail or small part that cau$e$ mayhem.
$5 pin took out my T56 last yr.

Thats hot roddin but man is it frustrating. Good luck!!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 AM
Ben Lurkin
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ex9850
I was driving my vette with the recently built 383. The car had about 200 miles on the new engine. Just after driving about 83 miles the engine blew. A bang then lots of white smoke. I also could tell I was leaving a trail of motor oil down the highway. It smelled as thou something was burning but when I looked I found no fire. Guess it will be a good crate engine next (want 460 to 520 HP) time. I am sort of discourage with engine builders, I figure I can find a shop that can remove and install an engine for me. May end up with some good parts to sell (assuming something survived).
This "builder" has a responsibility to deliver a product as promised. Misfeasance is no excuse. If, nevermind, WHEN he refuses to make you whole, don't hesitate to haul his butt into small claims court. Here, the limit is $10k. Most jerks rely on the fact that most people want to avoid trouble and so they get away with screwing you. DON'T Let him weasel out from under this.

EDIT: I remember this now after following Billa's Link. It's time for you to fly off the handle this time. Don't give him a second shot at rebuilding it either.

Last edited by Ben Lurkin; 02-17-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:23 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Ben Lurkin
This "builder" has a responsibility to deliver a product as promised. Misfeasance is no excuse. If he refuses to make you whole, don't hesitate to haul his butt into small claims court. Here, the limit is $10k. Most jerks rely on the fact that most people want to avoid trouble and so they get away with screwing you. DON'T Let him weasel out from under this.

I would document the promised and agreed upon parts list and the list of the actual internals and file a lawsuit (not just small claims)against him for the full cost of the work he charged you for plus court costs and legal fees. He will just do the same thing to the next guy if someone doesn't go after him.

Last edited by 63mako; 02-17-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:51 AM
ex9850
Instructor

I have talked to an attorney. With nothing written down and no witnesses, it is not a lawsuit I would likely win. I will see what if anything he will do (taking bets?) tomorrow. My choices are (1) put a small sbc in the 78 and sell it - then buy a C5 or C6 that is already fast (I like C3s but...); (2) work with another engine builder and try again (TrakDogg2 knows someone); (3) buy the crate engine. Number 3 is my most likely my preference. I want to look at crate engines that (1) have a warranty, (2) are a small block, (3) work out what it takes to convert my current add ons to a serpintine belt (PS,PB,A/C), (4) Sell a complete turn key engine, (5) produce the mentioned 500 hp. Then all I have to do is find an installer and install the motor then set up the addons. Then, live happily ever after. I would say buying a C5 or C6 is a possibility.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

..If you can deal paying for the electrical gremlins, those cars have their issues too. Electronics in them are complex and pricey. Good cars though.

Always been a fan of building but seems a good quality crate from GM may just be the way to go these days.

So many parts out there arent made here anymore never know what youre getting anymore. Seems to be more and more widespread. Scary.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 AM
billla
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Not to re-open a can of worms here, but chances for recovery are virtually nil. No warranty, and the OP would need a shop to do the failure analysis and say that it was "defects in workmanship." It's not right or "fair"...but there's likely no legal remedy
Old 02-17-2012, 02:34 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

I like the C5/C6 route. Course you get one of those and the modding starts all over again!!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Have you told the shop his POS blew up on you yet ?
Old 02-17-2012, 08:10 AM
uxojerry
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you paid by credit card you can go after the builder by complaining about a defective product. There is a C5 guy going through the same nightmare and his credit card company is helping him recoup about half his money. Just a thought. I also second the above recommendation for ultrastreet.net.

Get notified of new replies

To What is next? My engine blew tonight.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:51 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

It would be interesting to see what was used in the engine for parts and what machine work was done as it sounds like another budget build gone bad.

Was he working with a performance shop or a jobber shop that cuts alot of corners big differance between the too!!!!!

Alot of guys using the chinese heads that will break a valve and destoy the whole engine.

I guess the first thing is to find out what let go and find out what part let go or was it to do with how it was assembled??? Then you can point fingers!!!

Last edited by BLOCKMAN; 02-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:05 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want something done right, do it yourself. I'm no Smokey Yunick, but I've built a few motors over the years. Raced a few of them, too. Never blew up a motor that I put together. I've also had motors built by other that fragged...took them to court and got laughed out of the building. Sorry to have to say this, but if your living arrangement doesn't give you the facilities you need to play this game then you are likely going to be at the mercy of whoever you're paying to do the work for you. I built my first car while living in a 'granny flat' with an open carport behind it, and I moved there because that's what I wanted to do there...build cars. If you live in a luxury apartment downtown (can't tell by your profile) that doesn't allow you to work on cars there you will keep having these kinds of issues. Hate to say it, but unfortunately that's just how it is. Hope you get it sorted out...
Old 02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
Indiancreek
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Exactly as Blockman just said. This could be a great learning experience for a fair number of folks. Unless the shop is going to stand behind it and wants to tear it down themselves, (in that case you should be there when it comes apart), take some good pics and ID the parts supplier for the parts. If you can't ID them post the pics. There are enough engine guys on here to ID them or have a good idea.
Look for the hot spots. Where are you located?

Quick Reply: What is next? My engine blew tonight.